Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got in the Q honey badger barrel assembly, should have that added to the PWD today
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I dropped Daniel Defense an email about purchasing a few of their polymer dust covers. They got back to me and basically said they only include the cover with their uppers and have no plans to sell them separately.

I have a DDMV7 that I could rob one off of but, I'd rather just buy a few. Does anyone know where I could find them for sale? I looked at the Hera Arms and personally didn't like the wording sprawled across the front but, it is the same weight apparently.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
There's weight that can be cut by turning the barrel down to .500 in front of the chamber.
View Quote
Is .500" safe in front of the chamber?
Inbetween the chamber and the gas block I was wondering what the minimum safe diameter would be for standard loads? .500" after the gas block seems standard for pencil barrels.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

This is one place we disagree. A ready to use gun weighs what it weighs...and some kind of sighting system has to be included. Otherwise, why not ignore handguard weight? Don't need it for the gun to function...it's arguable that it's less critical than the optic is (grip that magwell!)

Also, the old saying is that "only reliable rifles are interesting", so go ahead and pick up some AKs. I love mine. To each their own, but accuracy isn't everything in life.
View Quote
I agree with jek and disagree w/ bstroker. Rifle needs a sight or optic otherwise it's not complete. Mag doesn't count. Bstroker when are you going to post a picture of this sub 2.5 lb rifle?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JasonblkZ06:
Inbetween the chamber and the gas block I was wondering what the minimum safe diameter would be for standard loads? .500" after the gas block seems standard for pencil barrels.
View Quote
This reminds me of a question I was going to ask. What parts are typically cut down or modified to gain some weight savings? I won't do anything to the barrel just for safety reasons but, aside from the barrel, what are you guys modifying?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:

This reminds me of a question I was going to ask. What parts are typically cut down or modified to gain some weight savings? I won't do anything to the barrel just for safety reasons but, aside from the barrel, what are you guys modifying?
View Quote
The extra length of the gas block journal and muzzle area you can turn down some and it is perfectly safe. I would think turning it down to .500 closer to the gas block (pre gas block side) would be fine, but closer to the chamber is what I have a question about. When you look at an AK barrel it seems there is a lot less wall thickness than what an AR barrel would be at .500". So it might be ok. What would happen to the metal if it failed from pressure? We need an expert to answer this question.
.500" diameter - minus .223 = .1385" wall diameter. Right in front of the chamber it would get VERY hot so you wouldn't want to rapid fire.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Best place to start is with anything made out of steel...the heavier it is, the better target it is. Bbl first, then carrier, muzzle device (if steel), takedown pins, trigger etc. As always, once the big stuff out of the way it's pretty much a matter of going lighter via material choice with the standard jek flow chart...

Do you need the part at all? If so, does it have to be steel? If not, does it have to be Ti? Does it have to be Al? Does it have to be polymer? Can it be CF?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:36:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#8]
I dropped Daniel Defense an email about purchasing a few of their polymer dust covers. They got back to me and basically said they only include the cover with their uppers and have no plans to sell them separately.

I have a DDMV7 that I could rob one off of but, I'd rather just buy a few. Does anyone know where I could find them for sale? I looked at the Hera Arms and personally didn't like the wording sprawled across the front but, it is the same weight apparently.

Thanks
View Quote
I have a DD port door I can spare. Pm me or email me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The idiots over at Faxon barrels gave in to the stupids who wanted to put a heavy 2 inch length gas block on their 19 ounce 556 pencil barrel. That ended up at 19.40 ounces.

So I cut off the ridge just after the gas block, cut the gas block pad to 0.50 inches in length and cut the ridge in after the muzzle brake threads.

This photo of the Ultralight was taken before I removed the 1.1 ounce Hogue grip and replaced with the 3D printed grip at 0.75 ounces.

Also cut the interior of the butt-plate on my Incognito Arms CF buffer tube/butt-plate. Started at 1.75 ounces now 1.69 ounces.

" />

" />

Haven't taken another photo as it is locked up in my gun safe, playing with my 5.3 pound 6.5 Creedmoor. Note I could cut it to under 5 pounds, just don't see a need to right now.

Here is my sub 4 pound AR308
" />
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By pscot468:

I have a DD port door I can spare. Pm me or email me.
View Quote
PM Sent

It looks like I'm going to be a shade over 4lbs w/ optic and full stock(MFT Minimalist). I'm coming in at 4.079lbs(65.262oz). This is using measured weights of the items I already have and posted weights of the others.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]

PM Sent

It looks like I'm going to be a shade over 4lbs w/ optic and full stock(MFT Minimalist). I'm coming in at 4.079lbs(65.262oz). This is using measured weights of the items I already have and posted weights of the others.
View Quote
It didn't go thru. Just email me. I only want like $10 for shipping.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:  There's weight that can be cut by turning the barrel down to .500 in front of the chamber.
That's my question.  Paladin Machine of South Carolina turned me a 27" pencil from a Green Mountain SS blank - .625" from the chamber to the gas block, .550" from the .750" gas block to the bayonet lug, .625" from the bayonet lug to the muzzle.  W/o the 22" bladed Chassepot bayonet mounted, it handles like a wand.

.550" was the thinnest spec I found on AR15barrels.com:  http://ar15barrels.com/prod/fw.shtml
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#14]
"Safe" is kinda a relative term. I mean is a pencil 416r barrel "safe" for full auto mag dumps? I'm gonna say no, not really. But for semi auto shooting yes absolutely it's safe. You'd be hard pressed trying to get any barrel hot enough to explode from semi auto. Also before you got anywhere close to a kaboom your accuracy would become non existent.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
So I saw that ATI is peddling "Nano composite" lower parts kits. Looks like the plum crazy gen 2s.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I finally got a chance to shoot my ultralight the other day. I have to be honest, it's not "fun" to shoot.
The recoil is a bit obnoxious, very fast and sort of punchy.
I'm shooting a brownells lightweight steel m16 bcg and full weight carbine buffer with a tub's flatware spring. It's running full gas with a 2a Ti gas block. I'm wondering if an adjustable gas block tuned to just feed reliably will soften the recoil impulse a bit?
Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cutlass1972:
I finally got a chance to shoot my ultralight the other day. I have to be honest, it's not "fun" to shoot.
The recoil is a bit obnoxious, very fast and sort of punchy.
I'm shooting a brownells lightweight steel m16 bcg and full weight carbine buffer with a tub's flatware spring. It's running full gas with a 2a Ti gas block. I'm wondering if an adjustable gas block tuned to just feed reliably will soften the recoil impulse a bit?
Thoughts?
View Quote
YES.  My 3.999 lb ar with a 2A titanium adjustable gas BCG is a very soft shooting gun.  It's using a Tubb flatwire spring and taccom buffers, as well as a suppressor.  If gas was overdone, I'd FEEL it!  Reducing the reciprocating mass, as well as the force with which your mass is pushed back, reduces the felt recoil very noticeably.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#18]
No one builds an ultra light weight AR and doesn't use an adjustable gas block or adjustable carrier key!

I once shot my AR308 @ 4.3 pounds weight and forgot I cleaned the adjustable gas block and left it full open. Darn near tore my arm off!!!  One shot like that only!

Once I adjusted the gas block the recoil was just about the same as my AR15 using the 6.8 SPC II ammo, which is VERY mild recoil.

If you are happy with your gas block using one of the 2 brands of adjustable carrier keys is cheaper and works great on any AR15.

Since you have some money tied up into the non adjustable titanium gas block the adjustable carrier key is the way to go.

Also dump the weights out of the buffer, will end up close to one ounce and works great that way.

Put a Hogue 15 degree pistol grip on and combined with the buffer weights you will have cut a quarter pound off the AR.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 6:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#19]
The ADIGS adjustable key lists for $59.99 and the RCA lists close to the same but is on sale right now for $39.99 RCA Adjustable gas carrier key

I have both on ALL my AR15s, like the RCA slightly better and it costs less.

An adjustable carrier key is usually easier to adjust than an adjustable gas block, no worries about being covered with a long hand guard.

Takes seconds at the range to slip the BCG out and adjust the key and oil up and slip back in. Also easier to clean.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
No one builds an ultra light weight AR and doesn't use an adjustable gas block or adjustable carrier key!

View Quote
Wait, I could have swore earlier in this thread someone stating that no one builds a lightweight AR WITH an adjustable gas block? I haven't looked back but, I thought that's what I read. I assumed it was because an AGB was heavier.

I planned to get a B.A.D titanium gas block and use a standard buffer. Am I looking at this the wrong way? Based on your earlier statement, seems like I should be going with an adjustable block and the taccom buffer system from a weight standpoint.

I'm looking for a way to slip under 4lbs(researched weight, don't have all the parts yet)and I'm only 1.5oz away.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:33:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I got another article with the PWD published, on Ammoland.com this time

Link
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Loonytik whenever you're using a low mass carrier there's a 99% chance you'll need adjustable gas. I'm a big fan of the rca adjustable gas key too. You can build a lightweight hybrid rifle without adjustable gas but only if you're using a standard buffer or heavier and a standard weight carrier.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:
I got another article with the PWD published, on Ammoland.com this time

Link
View Quote
Great read as always!!! The nfa/ATI/plum crazy lower parts kits don't come with polymer hammer and trigger pins though. I'd like to see some come out though!!! I'll give em a try! 😀
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Great read as always!!! The nfa/ATI/plum crazy lower parts kits don't come with polymer hammer and trigger pins though. I'd like to see some come out though!!! I'll give em a try! 😀
View Quote
Thanks, I'll clear up the typo
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#25]
M4c write up I did this to regulate gas on my KS47

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JerDerv:
M4c write up I did this to regulate gas on my KS47

https://i.imgur.com/LT2VxiQh.jpg
View Quote
It's beautiful!  I didn't see the weight listed on the M4C page, what did that end up at?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#27]
That is a great write up. I did this several times years ago (2015), first on my AR308 and recently on a BAD ultra lite weight (0.47 oz). I bought a bag of 50 set screws from eBay and drilled then with drill sizes 69 through 73. Broke several drill bits though. It takes a couple of times switching the drilled set screws before getting it right.

My AR308 could shoot 125 through 178 grain bullets all holding open on last round and very soft recoil. A titanium gas block is expensive enough, just can't see buying a titanium adjustable gas block again.

I do have an Next Intent tactical adjustable as there isn't anything lighter out there for my 3.9 pound AR308.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Loonytik whenever you're using a low mass carrier there's a 99% chance you'll need adjustable gas. I'm a big fan of the rca adjustable gas key too. You can build a lightweight hybrid rifle without adjustable gas but only if you're using a standard buffer or heavier and a standard weight carrier.
View Quote
I've got 3 AR Pistols(two 10.5's and one 11.5) that have lightweight, low mass BCG's. Of those 3, only one has an AGB. They all have 3oz buffers and carbine springs and they all shoot about the same. The felt recoil on the one with the AGB may be a tad lighter but not enough to speak about.

That's why the gas system conversation has me so confused. All mine work great with or without the AGB. I need to cut 1.5 oz to get under 4 pounds and the only place I see to do it is the the whole bcg, buffer, gas block setup. I may just experiment...start with the taccom system and dial it in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I ordered one of the new 2A Armament Palouse Lite receiver sets from Rainier Arms when they offered them for $179 for the lightweight build I'm doing. It was supposed to ship first week of May but, I hadn't seen a notification so I called today to check in. Rainier arms told me that 2A wasn't expecting the demand they received and the receiver sets will be delayed roughly 8 weeks.

Here's where it gets good - Rainier Arms stated that because there was such a delay on delivery that 2A was going to offer the folks that pre-ordered two options.

1. Wait the 8 weeks(rough estimate)and I can receive a 2 for 1 deal. I can get 2 Palouse Lite sets for the price I paid at pre-order.
2. Receive 2A's billet Balios Lite Gen 2 set now for the same price I paid at pre-order.

I'm conflicted since I can shave 1.03 ounces off my build(set plus trigger guard on the Palouse)with the billet set and get closer to that under 4lb number BUT....2 for 1!?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 8:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#30]

It's beautiful!  I didn't see the weight listed on the M4C page, what did that end up at?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is not my write up.  My scale did not measure a change.

I ordered one of the new 2A Armament Palouse Lite receiver sets from Rainier Arms when they offered them for $179 for the lightweight build I'm doing. It was supposed to ship first week of May but, I hadn't seen a notification so I called today to check in. Rainier arms told me that 2A wasn't expecting the demand they received and the receiver sets will be delayed roughly 8 weeks.

Here's where it gets good - Rainier Arms stated that because there was such a delay on delivery that 2A was going to offer the folks that pre-ordered two options.

1. Wait the 8 weeks(rough estimate)and I can receive a 2 for 1 deal. I can get 2 Palouse Lite sets for the price I paid at pre-order.
2. Receive 2A's billet Balios Lite Gen 2 set now for the same price I paid at pre-order.

I'm conflicted since I can shave 1.03 ounces off my build(set plus trigger guard on the Palouse)with the billet set and get closer to that under 4lb number BUT....2 for 1!?
Damn, i came seriously close to ordering that set and now i regret it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:01:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: subroc] [#31]

View Quote
It looks like we were at the right place at the right time and made the right decision. Well Done!

I ordered 2 at the pre-order price directly from 2A for $141 a set during shot show. With one, I opted for a Balios now and still get my 2 sets of Palouse when they release. According to Tim at 2A it could be 8 weeks more. I took the Balios now because the parts box for that build was started last November with it being pretty much complete/filled with parts around the time I ordered the Palouse sets. This is a company that cares about costumer service. This, in my view, is a big give by them.

BTW, my Balios is already on the way and is expected by the end of the day this coming Monday.

BTW2, I had a e-mail exchange with them several weeks back and while I had to wait for the sets, I had a few other items on order. I wanted them if they were available. They sent those and threw me a couple bones in that shipment as well, a castle nut, a latch plate and a mag catch. Nice gifts. As an aside their lightened trigger guard is pretty nice.

I am a big fan of 2A

I did order a Balios handguard from Optics Planet to match up with the receiver set. Will be building next week.

One other thing, there is no world where I would spend that kind of money on a receiver set. It would not happen in this life or the next. To have something like that essentially as a gift is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By subroc:

It looks like we were at the right place at the right time and made the right decision. Well Done!

I ordered 2 at the pre-order price directly from 2A for $141 a set during shot show. With one, I opted for a Balios now and still get my 2 sets of Palouse when they release. According to Tim at 2A it could be 8 weeks more. I took the Balios now because the parts box for that build was started last November with it being pretty much complete/filled with parts around the time I ordered the Palouse sets. This is a company that cares about costumer service. This, in my view, is a big give by them.

BTW, my Balios is already on the way and is expected by the end of the day this coming Monday.

BTW2, I had a e-mail exchange with them several weeks back and while I had to wait for the sets, I had a few other items on order. I wanted them if they were available. They sent those and threw me a couple bones in that shipment as well, a castle nut, a latch plate and a mag catch. Nice gifts. As an aside their lightened trigger guard is pretty nice.

I am a big fan of 2A

I did order a Balios handguard from Optics Planet to match up with the receiver set. Will be building next week.

One other thing, there is no world where I would spend that kind of money on a receiver set. It would not happen in this life or the next. To have something like that essentially as a gift is pretty sweet.
View Quote
Nice, $141 for the set is an amazing deal. And you got 2! If you had only bought one, would you opt for the Balios set or wait to get the 2 for 1?

I'm honestly not in any hurry to get either set so I'm leaning toward the 2 for 1. I still have the big ticket items to purchase for this build(hanguard, BCG, trigger, gas block)and space my purchases out for the budget. That said, the Balios set looks very nice!
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Nice, $141 for the set is an amazing deal. And you got 2! If you had only bought one, would you opt for the Balios set or wait to get the 2 for 1?

I'm honestly not in any hurry to get either set so I'm leaning toward the 2 for 1. I still have the big ticket items to purchase for this build(hanguard, BCG, trigger, gas block)and space my purchases out for the budget. That said, the Balios set looks very nice!
View Quote
My gut tells me I would probably take the 2 for 1 and build a light weight pistol with the 2nd, I was real close to taking the 4 for 2. Anyway, My plan with the Balios is the parts I have. With 1 of the Palouse, I am going to rebuild my "just under 6lb rifle" and pull some weight off it. The other Palouse will get used for a pistol build late this year when I can sneak up on some black Friday deals.

What do you think you are going to do? There isn't a wrong decision here just 2 right ones.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#34]

My gut tells me I would probably take the 2 for 1 and build a light weight pistol with the 2nd, I was real close to taking the 4 for 2. Anyway, My plan with the Balios is the parts I have. With 1 of the Palouse, I am going to rebuild my "just under 6lb rifle" and pull some weight off it. The other Palouse will get used for a pistol build late this year when I can sneak up on some black Friday deals.

What do you think you are going to do? There isn't a wrong decision here just 2 right ones.
View Quote
I'm still undecided but leaning heavily toward the 2 for 1. If the weight savings with the billet were more than an ounce, I'd probably lean toward the Balios set. And, I can wait. I won't finish buying all my parts for my lightweight build until July or August(spacing it out for budgeting reasons).

I don't really need another AR15 set but, I also hadn't planned to put together a lightweight build until I started reading this thread. I wish they were offering the XANTHOS AR10 set....I'd be all over that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#35]

I'm still undecided but leaning heavily toward the 2 for 1. If the weight savings with the billet were more than an ounce, I'd probably lean toward the Balios set. And, I can wait. I won't finish buying all my parts for my lightweight build until July or August(spacing it out for budgeting reasons).

I don't really need another AR15 set but, I also hadn't planned to put together a lightweight build until I started reading this thread. I wish they were offering the XANTHOS AR10 set....I'd be all over that.
View Quote
Me too, on this thread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Me too, on this thread.
View Quote
The addiction is highly contagious.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:06:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: subroc] [#37]

The addiction is highly contagious.
View Quote
Yeh, I am interested in a "lightweight or 2". After reading a couple dozen pages of this thread last year I got interested. Some of the builds here, with their commitment to weight savings at all cost are pretty sweet. i am unlikely to put anything that isn't really just an over the counter part on a rifle to be honest but I clearly see the fascination. I also like that manufacturers are catering to this. My "just under 6 pound rifle" was influenced by this thread. It is a pretty conventional build and has little to call or distinguish it as a lightweight other than a stock, grip, handguard and barrel.  But, it scratched the itch.

BTW, I am reasonably sure that the Palouse-lite information and what prompted me to look at and order them came from this thread several months ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#38]

The addiction is highly expensive.
View Quote
Fixed
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Loony, The 2A Xanthos AR308 receiver set is the best deal in large frame AR receivers. After three years no one has even come close to the Xanthos weight. Most AR 308 uppers weigh MORE than the Xanthos upper and lower. There are so many features built into the Xanthos, starting with quality.

Note the AR10 is only Armalite.

I did switch to the Tennessee Arms polymer lower with my Xanthos upper to get my AR308 down below 4 pounds.

But my AR 6.5Creedmoor is right around 5.5 pounds using the Xanthos upper and lower. I could easily get it below 5 pounds if I wanted to, but I love to shoot it at this weight. With a Leupold 6-18 power scope I am just over 6.5 pounds, still lighter than most AR15s with no scope attached.

There is nothing an AR15 can do that an AR large frame can't do better. Used to be the AR 308s were called light weight  at 8.5 pounds, add a scope and bipod and you were over 11 pounds.
I call an 11 pound AR a safe queen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Loony, The 2A Xanthos AR308 receiver set is the best deal in large frame AR receivers. After three years no one has even come close to the Xanthos weight. Most AR 308 uppers weigh MORE than the Xanthos upper and lower. There are so many features built into the Xanthos, starting with quality.

I did switch to the Tennessee Arms polymer lower with my Xanthos upper to get my AR308 down below 4 pounds.

But my AR 6.5Creedmoor is right around 5.5 pounds using the Xanthos upper and lower. I could easily get it below 5 pounds if I wanted to, but I love to shoot it at this weight. With a Leupold 6-18 power scope I am just over 6.5 pounds, still lighter than most AR15s with no scope attached.

There is nothing an AR15 can do that an AR large frame can't do better. Used to be the AR 308s were called light weight  at 8.5 pounds, add a scope and bipod and you were over 11 pounds.
View Quote
Which 308 barrel do you like in your lightweight builds?
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Me too, on this thread.
View Quote
Me too, on this thread.

I'm thankful for my writing job getting me free or cheap parts, otherwise I'd have no cars left.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
A .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor is next on my build list. After this lightweight AR15 build I won't be building anymore(for the foreseeable future). If Rainier(through 2A)offers the Xanthos set I'll definitely take it and buy the Palouse set later in the year.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 4:06:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#43]
I usually use Faxon barrels, my 16" 308 barrel weighs 28.4 ounces. I am using an 18" Faxon 6.5 Creedmoor barrel @ 39 oz., but the 2A 20" barrel is actually lighter at 35 ounces.

Every Faxon barrel I have even the 16" 556 pencil profile will shoot sub MOA for the first 5 to 10 rounds. Ultra lite weight barrels are not made for emptying a 30 round magazine in 2 seconds.

But even hog shooting you probably won't shoot more than 10 rounds before the hogs are in the next state.

More info is over at Snipers Hide 6.5 Creedmoor

Faxon has a HUGE selection of 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor barrels, try to stay under 40 ounces.

Just looking at Faxon, their 16 inch Match Big Gunner only weighs 30.24 ounces in 6.5C, my 18 inch weighs 38 ounces.

Remember ONLY BUY during sales like Memorial Day Sales, and try to get a LEO, MIL, Vet discount if you are eligible. Getting that 10% off helps a lot.

Always do a Google search for any barrel or part, many companies sell for less than the manufacturers listed price.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 6:45:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: subroc] [#44]
I usually use Faxon barrels, my 16" 308 barrel weighs 28.4 ounces. I am using an 18" Faxon 6.5 Creedmoor barrel @ 39 oz., but the 2A 20" barrel is actually lighter at 35 ounces.

Every Faxon barrel I have even the 16" 556 pencil profile will shoot sub MOA for the first 5 to 10 rounds. Ultra lite weight barrels are not made for emptying a 30 round magazine in 2 seconds.

But even hog shooting you probably won't shoot more than 10 rounds before the hogs are in the next state.

More info is over at Snipers Hide 6.5 Creedmoor

Faxon has a HUGE selection of 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor barrels, try to stay under 40 ounces.

Just looking at Faxon, their 16 inch Match Big Gunner only weighs 30.24 ounces in 6.5C, my 18 inch weighs 38 ounces.

Remember ONLY BUY during sales like Memorial Day Sales, and try to get a LEO, MIL, Vet discount if you are eligible. Getting that 10% off helps a lot.

Always do a Google search for any barrel or part, many companies sell for less than the manufacturers listed price.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.

Don't worry on the paying too much score. I chase the sale price on virtually everything. I have 2 Faxon barrels here. A 16" on my "just under 6 pound rifle" and the 14.5 with the integral muzzle device that is in a cardboard box waiting for that Baliois receiver set so will consider it for the .308.

A .308 build is pretty far down the line but If I see some real bargains I am apt to pick up a part here and there. A cardboard box for each build.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#45]

I've got 3 AR Pistols(two 10.5's and one 11.5) that have lightweight, low mass BCG's. Of those 3, only one has an AGB. They all have 3oz buffers and carbine springs and they all shoot about the same. The felt recoil on the one with the AGB may be a tad lighter but not enough to speak about.

That's why the gas system conversation has me so confused. All mine work great with or without the AGB. I need to cut 1.5 oz to get under 4 pounds and the only place I see to do it is the the whole bcg, buffer, gas block setup. I may just experiment...start with the taccom system and dial it in.
View Quote
Pistols have shorter dwell times than rifles. Think about it, a 8 or 9 inch gas system in a 16" barrel or a 8 in tube on a 10.5-11.5 in barrel? When the very first Colt ar-15 sbrs were adopted for military service they went with 11.5 in barrels because that was the shortest they could go and keep maximum reliability. This is why the mid length and intermediate gas systems came about for 16" barrels. The taccom buffers are fine for semi auto.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Pistols have shorter dwell times than rifles. Think about it, a 8 or 9 inch gas system in a 16" barrel or a 8 in tube on a 10.5-11.5 in barrel? When the very first Colt ar-15 sbrs were adopted for military service they went with 11.5 in barrels because that was the shortest they could go and keep maximum reliability. This is why the mid length and intermediate gas systems came about for 16" barrels. The taccom buffers are fine for semi auto.
View Quote
That Master of Arms AGB is expensive...

I think that's the route I'm gonna go though. Taccom buffer system, Master of Arms AGB, Shooting innovations BCG. Just have to space it out for the budget. Can't afford that JP Enterprises BCG.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a MoA Ti adjustable GB I may be willing to part with for less than they are online. Zero rounds fired but it has been installed once. Not 100% sure if I'm going to make the change though. Before you order one, drop me a pm.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I just finished my lightweight build. Images to follow.

It is a Balios receiver set, Balios rail, Faxon 14.5 pencil barreled with factory pin and welded muzzle device, a Larue straight trigger, a lightened BCG from Brownells and a selection of BAD, 2A, V7 doodah with a Hogue grip and no name buffer to finish it off.

Couple problems, it looks like the Vortex Venom just will not work with my 64 year old eyes. The blooming is far too much. Standard red dots work ok (not great) but I guess these little reflex sights just won't work with my eyes. Also, I am not sure I am liking the Luth-AR charging handle. It is one that was recommended a few pages back to save some weight. I might sacrifice some weight and change it. I believe I like having a bit more purchase when grabbing a charging handle. We will see.

I am going to bring it to the range in its current configuration even with the venom. I will bring another optic as well so I can at least give it a little work out.

Anyway, as it is sitting it comes in at 4 lb 7.5 oz.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#49]
The V7 charging handle is also light weight and you will probably like it better. You should try a 4 power scope, many are very light weight.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:08:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Is it me or have Faxon 14.5/slim FH bbls been out of stock FOREVER? Every single time I look on their site, they are OOS. It's been going on long enough that I'm starting to wonder if it's a discontinued item.
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top