BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 228
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#1]
@Combat_Diver

In your time replacing M4s/16s, did you ever see a lower cracked or damaged or the FCG holes penning? And when you replaced the barrel, did you continue to use the same upper receiver? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

In your time replacing M4s/16s, did you ever see a lower cracked or damaged or the FCG holes penning? And when you replaced the barrel, did you continue to use the same upper receiver? Thanks.
View Quote

Ron addressed this pretty well in his High round count M4 thread here.

Some of our M4's have well over 200,000 rounds down range. Barrels have been replaced, gas tubes have been replaced, BCG's have been replaced but what sets it apart from the AK47's is that upper and lower receivers continue to function. AK's get to about the 100,000+ round count and rails on the receiver will start to crack. It's an easy fix with tig welding but they crack. We have yet to lose an upper or lower receiver from cracking.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
@Combat_Diver

View Quote

Have seen busted/damaged uppers and lowers but not from normal use.  Battle damage due to blast, impact or dropped from helos, yes.  No on FCG holes peening.  Yes, uppers are reused.  There is an inspection criteria that we go by to inspect.

CD
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Have seen busted/damaged uppers and lowers but not from normal use.  Battle damage due to blast, impact or dropped from helos, yes.  No on FCG holes peening.  Yes, uppers are reused.  There is an inspection criteria that we go by to inspect.

CD
View Quote

Good to hear. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Ron addressed this pretty well in his High round count M4 thread here.

Some of our M4's have well over 200,000 rounds down range. Barrels have been replaced, gas tubes have been replaced, BCG's have been replaced but what sets it apart from the AK47's is that upper and lower receivers continue to function. AK's get to about the 100,000+ round count and rails on the receiver will start to crack. It's an easy fix with tig welding but they crack. We have yet to lose an upper or lower receiver from cracking.
View Quote

Yes I read that one. Interesting because I read that the FCG holes open up but these are from really old SP1s. I'm not sure how that could happen though maybe the springs aren't holding the pins?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By xoran:
Aside from getting my side sling swivel installed, I’m calling this one done.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/421704/73F5D485-B961-40F3-917E-EC418448A5FF_jpe-1910454.JPG
View Quote

Looks pretty good but that stock is making my eyes bleed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Updated my "inspired" build.  Added in a Wilcox mount and B5 sopmod gen 1 stock.  I think im calling this one done--atleast for my tastes.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have a small section of military camo netting they don't need?  I really don't want to buy a whole 10x20ft net just to use a small section to paint this.  It's the only way I can match the paint scheme of the camo abomination (mine) below.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By js1977:
Anyone have a small section of military camo netting they don't need?  I really don't want to buy a whole 10x20ft net just to use a small section to paint this.  It's the only way I can match the paint scheme of the camo abomination (mine) below.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438461/50AA4E94-B5D2-41CC-A6F4-31F59CE523B6_jpe-1927465.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438461/DDC0D399-A0DC-42F9-8B54-6EC36D41DE59_jpe-1927469.JPG
View Quote

You have one of those small cargo nets in the trunk of your car/SUV that you don't need? That's what I used to paint mine. My wife has not noticed hers is missing yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DJ_Skinny:

You have one of those small cargo nets in the trunk of your car/SUV that you don't need? That's what I used to paint mine. My wife has not noticed hers is missing yet.
View Quote
Oh I usually just paint a "V" pattern with a dark brown over the light tan and then overlay a mesh of some sort and spray a black.
BUT to match this pattern, since I originally used army camo net to paint my service rifle, it's what I'll have to use this time to make it match.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Looking for some clarification on block 1’s.  Aside from the standard a2 fh and kac nt4 as listed on page 1, is there a list of “clone correct” or acceptable  extended flash hiders?  I’ve seen the surefire 3 and 4 prong, and the A2x.  Are there any others?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RichieRich562:
Looking for some clarification on block 1’s.  Aside from the standard a2 fh and kac nt4 as listed on page 1, is there a list of “clone correct” or acceptable  extended flash hiders?  I’ve seen the surefire 3 and 4 prong, and the A2x.  Are there any others?
View Quote

Not on Block I’s. Would consider them Block 1.5s with a Surefire FH. I’ve done a few recently but other accessories were from Block 2’s

CD
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#14]
Double Post

CD
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RichieRich562:
View Quote

Consider a SPACER if wanting to use a std length FH/mount.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

One of those out of stock spacers
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Not the only source man, just an example.

FWIW, JT at Retro Arms Works makes a damn nice spacer as well.

A little lathe action and a surface grinder and DIY is possible as well.

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
What’s the easiest way to figure out if the SOPMOD stock I have is a gen1? It’s old and been in .mil circulation until a few years ago. I can email pics to someone who can advise.

It’ll be posted in the EE once I verify it’s legit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By arcfootball17:
What’s the easiest way to figure out if the SOPMOD stock I have is a gen1? It’s old and been in .mil circulation until a few years ago. I can email pics to someone who can advise.

It’ll be posted in the EE once I verify it’s legit.
View Quote

No built in QD socket.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]

No built in QD socket.
View Quote

There is no QD socket. Anything else I need to look for?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

It’s a gen 1 then. Anything else would just be making sure it’s B5 or LMT
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By arcfootball17:

No built in QD socket.

There is no QD socket. Anything else I need to look for?

What he said.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corruptgarage] [#23]

Still my main go-to. I really want to put an RMR on top of the ACOG for passive under nods, but I couldn't justify it based on how little I've been shooting for the past year due to the ammo situation. Perst3 isn't clone correct, I know.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Whas there a QD mount option for the TA01 on the block 1 ? Arms larue GDI ?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#25]
There is a very nice and correct Block 2 FSP upper in the EE right now….
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#26]
what laser is that ?

Originally Posted By corruptgarage:
https://i.imgur.com/O1n6t6O.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UWQ2Qpt.jpg

Still my main go-to. I really want to put an RMR on top of the ACOG for passive under nods, but I couldn't justify it based on how little I've been shooting for the past year due to the ammo situation. Perst3 isn't clone correct, I know.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Is a mil contract B5 stock correct for a Block 1?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
what laser is that ?

View All Quotes
what laser is that ?

Originally Posted By corruptgarage:
https://i.imgur.com/O1n6t6O.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UWQ2Qpt.jpg

ZenitCo Perst-3 
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#30]
is that civie power or normal ?

ZenitCo Perst-3 
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

ZenitCo Perst-3 

Good info HERE

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#32]
thanks , that is awesome
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Not on Block I’s. Would consider them Block 1.5s with a Surefire FH. I’ve done a few recently but other accessories were from Block 2’s

CD
View Quote

Bummer.  Was hoping to stay as clone correct/acceptable as possible to block 1, but wanted to use something other than a standard or extended a2.  Looking at the charts, if I did use a surefire, but kept my aimpoint in a Wilcox mount—does that still keep me in the block 1, or does that drift into the 1.5?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't pay much attention to the mounts.  Do what you want to do.  I've got a SF4 pin/weld on a 14.5 at home.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Do you guys shoot these clones? (not being sarcastic, because that is all I shoot, my clones)

Amazing rocking an m4a1 next to a guy with gucci mloked the f out rifle at a class.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By xxflyingturtlexx:
Do you guys shoot these clones? (not being sarcastic, because that is all I shoot, my clones)

Amazing rocking an m4a1 next to a guy with gucci mloked the f out rifle at a class.
View Quote

All the time!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MrRecon:

All the time!
View Quote

right on
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:17:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrRecon] [#38]

right on
View Quote

I choose my M4 clone over my BCM, my M16A4 clone over my DMR, and my Commando clone over my Geissele suppressed 10.3". Those are all awesome rifles but there is just something about the nostalgia of the FSB...

ETA: Pic thread

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MrRecon:

I choose my M4 clone over my BCM, my M16A4 clone over my DMR, and my Commando clone over my Geissele suppressed 10.5". Those are all awesome rifles but there is just something about the nostalgia of the FSB...
View Quote

Very few of my builds have low profile gas blocks. FSB is king. Matter of fact, the only ones that don't have an FSB are clones that didn't
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Heck yeah.  Haven't much lately due to it costing the price of a new TV to do a little sport shooting, but the only AR (or any semi-auto rifle) I have is my Block 1/MWS clone.

I built mine more to real-world utility using military approved/used components so I know it would work in rough conditions if need be.  Just happened to be that was the Block 1 specs, which for me has more or less morphed into the MWS concept which is just an evolved Block 1.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#41]
This is way over due but it is finally complete.
Only a few things that I couldn't or decided not to clone due to money or function. The color is off, but I prefer the color on my clone over what I had available for my service rifle.
1) burst/semi vs semi = money/NFA
2) 14.5 vs 16 barrel = NFA
3) EOtech 551 vs EOtech Exps3 = function

My rifle in Afghanistan
Attachment Attached File

My clone
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Is the magpul ctr kosher on 1.5?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Is the magpul ctr kosher on 1.5?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By js1977:
This is way over due but it is finally complete.
View Quote

Nice homage piece.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I am still planning on building my block 1. I'm still torn on what fh I want to use. Traditionally I would use the a2 as that was what was on our m4 when transitioned to the m4, or the nt4 that we used with our kac suppressors. My issue is that I've been contemplating either the surefire sfct as it looks similar to the as but accepts so suppressors. All my other guns have 3 or 4 prongs on it. Either that or just an a2 and not use suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
I am still planning on building my block 1. I'm still torn on what fh I want to use. Traditionally I would use the a2 as that was what was on our m4 when transitioned to the m4, or the nt4 that we used with our kac suppressors. My issue is that I've been contemplating either the surefire sfct as it looks similar to the as but accepts so suppressors. All my other guns have 3 or 4 prongs on it. Either that or just an a2 and not use suppressor.
View Quote

My not a real clone has an A2 but I'm thinking about switching it out for a Surefire closed tine for suppressor capability. The only reason I wouldn't is the ability to mount a bayonet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Are you planning on SBRing the gun?  What barrel length?

CD
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Are you planning on SBRing the gun?  What barrel length?

CD
View Quote

Will be a 14.5. Idk if I'll surefire for a 14.5.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Will be a 14.5. Idk if I'll surefire for a 14.5.
View Quote

A2X or spacer and use a A2/NT4 pinned and weld?  I've done A2X, YHM Phantom and a used SF4P on 14.5's" at home.

I did attach a 4P down range for a team on a M4A1 MWS for a EOD attachment as they wanted him to have a suppressor.  Took it back off after the rotation ended.

CD
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Just purchased a new 6921 to replace my chopped psa upper on my block 1 build....it never stops....

For this one, although not clone correct, I’m pinning a surefire Sf3p.  The extended a2 never grew on me, and I don’t want to use a spacer for a normal one.
Page / 228
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top