BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/8/2011 8:20:07 PM EDT
I'm in process of building a new SHTF/ home defense carbine and was wondering what would be a better choice for a barrel (14.5 vs 16").. I live in CT so my brake (no flash hiders allowed) will need to be pinned and welded regardless of the length. The brake i have to use is a Troy Mideval which is about 2" long so I'm looking at 16.5 vs 18" overall barrel length. I have a couple thousand rounds of M855 62 grain ball ammo so I will be getting a 1 in 7 twist regardless of which length I decide on. For my intended purposes, ranging from possible use inside my home to 100-200 yards out, what will serve me best? I am leaning towards the 14.5" for a more standard look and better balance but I am a little hesitant because I've heard that the velocity and stopping power at 1-200 yards is significantly less than the 16" barrel.  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#1]

<––Shorter is better for nearly everything (note this is NOT GD), especially at short range.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm in process of building a new SHTF/ home defense carbine and was wondering what would be a better choice for a barrel (14.5 vs 16").. I live in CT so my brake (no flash hiders allowed) will need to be pinned and welded regardless of the length. The brake i have to use is a Troy Mideval which is about 2" long so I'm looking at 16.5 vs 18" overall barrel length. I have a couple thousand rounds of M855 62 grain ball ammo so I will be getting a 1 in 7 twist regardless of which length I decide on. For my intended purposes, ranging from possible use inside my home to 100-200 yards out, what will serve me best? I am leaning towards the 14.5" for a more standard look and better balance but I am a little hesitant because I've heard that the velocity and stopping power at 1-200 yards is significantly less than the 16" barrel.  Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Can you own SBRs there?  A 10" would be ideal for indoors (well, except for the muzzle blast).

The good news is that while you'll lose velocity out of a short barrel, within the confines of your house the projectile will still be travelling essentially at muzzle velocity when it strikes the target.  Any reputable ammo will have plenty of "oomph".  The problem comes when you're shooting at something 250 yards away and the velocity has dropped down into the 2600fps range by the time it gets to target.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
14.5 should be plenty for defensive use, and less of an issue since you'll have to get a pinned muzzle device regardless of barrel length.  Something to consider though is muzzle blast from the brake, which gets more intense at a geometric rate as the barrel length decreases... both more muzzle blast and it's closer to you.  I don't know how the Troy brake you mention compares on muzzle blast, indoors it probably wouldn't matter much.  Tough to find a brake that's not brutal on muzzle blast.
Quoted:
I have a couple thousand rounds of M855 62 grain ball ammo so I will be getting a 1 in 7 twist regardless of which length I decide on.

As an aside, you don't need 1:7 to shoot M855 - 1:9 works fine.  Not to say not to get a 1:7, just pointing out the error in that assumption.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The difference of 14.5 and 16 is not much. Personally for HD I would go as short as possible to be able to navigate my tiny condo. When I was leo I used a 16 bushmaster, that was just fine but would rather a 14.5. I also noticed my 14.5 weighs less than the 16 and allows me to attach lights and other unnecessary goodys with out it being too heavy for the lady to use. alot of people hash this topic out and it all comes down to what you prefer. Only problem i have with 14.5 is once that comp is installed your done, you cant change it. So know what you want and be happy with it. most free float rails can be swapped out around the pinned comp but a hand guard end cap can not and only a clamped on gas block like the YHM can be removed. But as you said, it will have to be pinned no matter what length, might as well get the 14.5. you wont be sorry.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't do that again
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Go shortes you legally can and dont worry about range what was trues 100 years ago..even more is true today over 95% of armed engagements take place well under 50 yds.Dont rely on velocity+range for stopping power rely on heavier bullets preferably hollowpoints but most importantly shot placement....good shot placement regaurdless of caliber will win the day.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can you own SBRs there?  A 10" would be ideal for indoors (well, except for the muzzle blast).

The good news is that while you'll lose velocity out of a short barrel, within the confines of your house the projectile will still be travelling essentially at muzzle velocity when it strikes the target.  Any reputable ammo will have plenty of "oomph".  The problem comes when you're shooting at something 250 yards away and the velocity has dropped down into the 2600fps range by the time it gets to target.

An SBR would not be an option at this point in time as I don't have the money or the time to get an NFA permit. I guess I would be more concerned with being able to effectively reach a 100 yard target with a heavier bullet than I am maneuvering the weapon in my home though. I have an 12ga pump that is probably better over all for that purpose anyway.

Quoted:
As an aside, you don't need 1:7 to shoot M855 - 1:9 works fine.  Not to say not to get a 1:7, just pointing out the error in that assumption.

I appreciate the clarification.. M855 is the lightest bullet I intend to shoot so I figured it would be the best be if I ever wanted to use heavier loads in the future up to 77grain.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I appreciate all the responses.. I guess the general consensus here is that the 14.5" barrel will be a better bet overall in terms of reduced weight and better maneuverability considering a brake needs to be pinned and welded anyway. thanks again. i will put some pictures up on the forums when my build is all done.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I appreciate all the responses.. I guess the general consensus here is that the 14.5" barrel will be a better bet overall in terms of reduced weight and better maneuverability considering a brake needs to be pinned and welded anyway. thanks again. i will put some pictures up on the forums when my build is all done.

Soooo.... a 14.5 with an extension to take it out to 16" is BETTER for HD than a 16"bbl?? Let's see; they are both right about.....16" when done.

Oh yeah, I can clearly see the benefits to this. If you can't have a SBR, then a fully collapsed 16" carbine is a very short rifle and plenty capable of maneuvering around tight areas. And, FWIW, there is a decent bump with the 16"bbl over the 14.5 at everything past 40 yards.Under that, they are pretty equal.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soooo.... a 14.5 with an extension to take it out to 16" is BETTER for HD than a 16"bbl?? Let's see; they are both right about.....16" when done.

Oh yeah, I can clearly see the benefits to this. If you can't have a SBR, then a fully collapsed 16" carbine is a very short rifle and plenty capable of maneuvering around tight areas. And, FWIW, there is a decent bump with the 16"bbl over the 14.5 at everything past 40 yards.Under that, they are pretty equal.

EDIT: Wee...... I need to party with you some day!!!! Chainsaw, vs. shotgun racking, vs. BCG dropping. Chainsaw WINS!!!

no.. as it states in my original post, I live in Connecticut and there is an AWB, so I will need a permanent muzzle brake, regardless of whether I go with a 14.5 inch barrel or a 16 inch barrell. So we are comparing a 14.5" barrel (16.5 inches overall) and a 16 inch barrel (18 inches overall) considering that the brake is 2 inches long.... figure it out
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What about a crowned and unthreaded muzzle?  It is AWB compliant and guess what ... it's16 ".

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I would get the 14.5" but the 16" is pretty compact (that is if you can have a collapsible stock that's not pinned) just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow... it looks like I missed the brouhaha again.    

OP - given the fact that you'd need to pin the muzzle device anyways, I'd go with what... I can decipher was the consesus, to get a 14.5" barrel.  

Not sure who was saying what, but personally, I think the 1.5" makes a big difference in maneuverability going from a 16" barrel to a 14.5" barrel if both have the same muzzle device pinned.  Even if you don't, though, given CT's requirement to pin something anyways, and since you're specifying HD, as short as you can go is going to be your best bet.

There's really just not much in the way of advantages a 16" barrel offers in an AR, it's an odd length that doesn't give you range over a 14.5", and isn't as useful for precision work as an 18" or 20".  The 16" barrel pretty much exists solely for the purpose of Title 1 BATF compliance.  Almost no military  weapons where BATF regulations are not a factor use 16" barrels on a 5.56MM AR platform.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#22]
If you use an SBR to protect yourself or family.....would you lose the rifle to the LEO's?

If that was the case, I'd roll with a 14.5 pinned barrel.....which is my choice for really any non SBR application.

Now i know lose the rifle, stay alive (or family alive) is more important than your SBR being held for an indefinite period of time.

Just wondering what legal ramifications if any would apply here.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you use an SBR to protect yourself or family.....would you lose the rifle to the LEO's?

If that was the case, I'd roll with a 14.5 pinned barrel.....which is my choice for really any non SBR application.

Now i know lose the rifle, stay alive (or family alive) is more important than your SBR being held for an indefinite period of time.

Just wondering what legal ramifications if any would apply here.

why would you think an SBR is going to be held up but a 16" isnt?  if you shoot someone, you should bet on your gun being taken for investigative purposes....SBR or not.  there are no legal rammifications to using an SBR over a non-NFA firearm provided that you are legally allowed to posess that firearm.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#24]
14.5 will do everything you need to do. Well balnced, easier to manuever, good to 300 yards easily.
1/7, 1/9, or better yet, 1/8 will serve you well.
Dave N
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Out of the two lengths you mentioned I would (and did) choose the 14.5"

It's lighter, and that little bit of length makes a difference when swinging the rifle around indoors.

An AR full of green tip would not be my first choice of weapons, especially not inside my house.

M855 is made to penetrate...think about that for a minute.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Given everything you've said....14.5" light weight.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Given everything you've said....14.5" light weight.

I was just thinking the same thing (light weight profile barrel).

Like the Rainier Arms RUC I just ordered...
http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/6f4039cbaf1d2ad380c031bb525aa43d.jpg
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[no.. as it states in my original post, I live in Connecticut and there is an AWB, so I will need a permanent muzzle brake, regardless of whether I go with a 14.5 inch barrel or a 16 inch barrell. So we are comparing a 14.5" barrel (16.5 inches overall) and a 16 inch barrel (18 inches overall) considering that the brake is 2 inches long.... figure it out

During the Federal AWB I had both a braked 14.5" M4 and a 16" bare muzzle Lightweight.

Given the choice I'd take the 16" lightweight EVERY time.  It was the same length (or shorter - depending on the brake I used at the time), lighter, and less muzzle blast than the 14.5".

Now if you can have a flash suprerssor - well that is worth going to a 14.5" and adding a Vortex, Phantom, or Blackout.  But for a brake?  Better off with a bare muzzle IMHO.

Reading this, I'm changing my vote.  

For some reason the bare muzzle option didn't even register - the perils of living in a non-AWB state.  

Forest makes a good point about muzzle devices - and I've been arguing against the use of brakes and comps in HD in other threads!  Given the circumstances, I agree with Forest that a 16" bare muzzle (as short as you can go) is going to be the best option, because it's going to be the same length, without the pain associated with the use of a brake.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ive been using 14.7 & 14.5 for a long time now!
Kinda long for inside the house! Yes it can be done

Shorter the better for HD

IIf I had the money I would get a 8 or 9 inch upper in 6.8

If in 5.56mm I would go 10.3 to 11.5

And I would load up with TSX

The 8inch5.56mm has plenty of range when using the right bullet like BH 5.56mm 50gr TSX
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wow... it looks like I missed the brouhaha again.    

OP - given the fact that you'd need to pin the muzzle device anyways, I'd go with what... I can decipher was the consesus, to get a 14.5" barrel.  

Not sure who was saying what, but personally, I think the 1.5" makes a big difference in maneuverability going from a 16" barrel to a 14.5" barrel if both have the same muzzle device pinned.  Even if you don't, though, given CT's requirement to pin something anyways, and since you're specifying HD, as short as you can go is going to be your best bet.

There's really just not much in the way of advantages a 16" barrel offers in an AR, it's an odd length that doesn't give you range over a 14.5", and isn't as useful for precision work as an 18" or 20".  The 16" barrel pretty much exists solely for the purpose of Title 1 BATF compliance.  Almost no military  weapons where BATF regulations are not a factor use 16" barrels on a 5.56MM AR platform.  

~Augee

+1 go 14.5" pinned
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#32]

What about a crowned and unthreaded muzzle?  It is AWB compliant and guess what ... it's16 ".

This ^ or ADCO has a plain thread protector that can be permanently attached. Those of us behind enemy lines in Nazi Jerky have BTDT with good results. While the brakes may look nicer, "kewl" don't feed the bulldog. AFAIC they send too much noise back at the shooter. Inside he home you would have more than enough noise to contend with upon firing. No point getting all bound up in the "kewl" factor.
FWIW
YMMV

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#33]
For HD, I chose the shortest, one of the lightest possible non-SBR, non-pistol combos: LW 14.5" + perm BC 1.5. It is a vast improvement over my 16" carbine in terms of balance as well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Forest has a GREAT point here and he's absolutely on the money - but I'm gonna go one step farther and vote 14.5" with a pinned DPMS LeVang compensator or Troy Claymore muzzle brake attached.

Why?  both the above muzzle devices are designed to direct blast forward and away from the shooter, and should be a bit better than even the bare muzzle in that regard.

There have been informal tests in the AR pistol section and the consensus is that these brakes do work as intended for redirecting blast downrange.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#37]
For home defense I'd prefer not to fire a .223 or 5.56.  I'd much prefer a 9mm or a .40 (preferably through a hand gun).  Speaking primarily from a noise perspective.  I guess you would probably have the adrenaline pumping enough to keep running rounds through a AR, but the noise and penetration make it my choice for a outdoor SHTF type weapon especially if you live in a condo.  No need to kill your neighbors, too.

I've actually questioned the recent issue of AR's to LEO's as a replacement for shot guns for this reason.  

That said... I guess that wasn't the question.  Muzzle blast from a brake indoors would be brutal.  I like the 16" option without a brake.   For a outdoor SHTF and all around use gun I'd go for a 14.5, though either will get the job done.  I like my 16 with a brake just fine, but my next build is already slated to be a 14.5 with a permanent brake.  Gotta love AWB states.  We're a bit more lax in CA, but not much.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#38]
If you had the money, I would suggest a 10.5" with a can. And yes, you can hit at 100+ yards if the ammo, barrel, and your skills are up to par. Since an SBR and can is not at option, 14.5" is what I would suggest. The shorter the better, even if it is only an inch when it is all said and done.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
For home defense I'd prefer not to fire a .223 or 5.56.  I'd much prefer a 9mm or a .40 (preferably through a hand gun).  Speaking primarily from a noise perspective. ...  No need to kill your neighbors, too.

It's a WELL ESTABLISHED fact that when using proper defensive ammo (and even M193) you're going to get MORE penetration with handgun rounds or buckshot/slugs.

That is WHY LEOs have been transitioning to the 5.56 AR, to reduce overpenetration issues and limit downrange damage.

I have to tell people this quite often when they question why I choose a suppressed SBR as my HD weapon of choice instead of a pump shotgun as they normally suggest. Since we all know, as many believe, that racking the shotgun will scare away any potential threat (sarcasm for those who may not read it that way)..
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Forest has a GREAT point here and he's absolutely on the money - but I'm gonna go one step farther and vote 14.5" with a pinned DPMS LeVang compensator or Troy Claymore muzzle brake attached.

Why?  both the above muzzle devices are designed to direct blast forward and away from the shooter, and should be a bit better than even the bare muzzle in that regard.

There have been informal tests in the AR pistol section and the consensus is that these brakes do work as intended for redirecting blast downrange.

Were the tests actually conducted inside?

I have a hard time believing that a typical comp or brake - in an enclosed space - is going to be less offensive than a bare muzzle or a bbl with a FH  attached.

If redirecting the blast is a concern, then a KX3 pig should be considered.  Beyond that, the best route (if it's an option) is obviously going to be a suppressor.

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't think either is a bad choice.  I personally would lean toward the 16".  Keep in mind a comp in a house is going to be devastating to your hearing.  Better than dead but still nasty.  I think you said you had a couple thousand rounds of xm855 green tip.  For shtf and close up I would consider the xm193 and something like Hornady tap.  Handgun for inside home defense .  Dont forget pics when you get it
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Why bother with a comp at all? Go to Hoffmans and get one of their AWB complaint S&W M&P 15's. Right now they have a couple of models on sale for cheaper than you could build one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the heads up guys. I retract my previous statement about over penetration providing you're using proper ammunition.

I still think the noise would be painful, but better deaf than dead I guess.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If redirecting the blast is a concern, then a KX3 pig should be considered.  Beyond that, the best route (if it's an option) is obviously going to be a suppressor.

KX3 is considered a flash suppressor, and OP is in a ban state.  If he uses a muzzle device it'll have to be something that would pass muster as a muzzle brake... the Levang IIRC does, not sure about the other one mentioned.

Quoted:
IIRC the Levangs were the same diameter as the A2 flashsupressors?  During the AWB that made them effectively 'grenade launchers' and were not permitted on AWB rifles.

State rules may vary, but I thought I'd toss that out there.

Though Kurt's Kustom made a pretty good copy and deliberatly made it a couple millimeters different in diameter so it would be AWB legal.

If that's all that is keeping a Levang from being AW legal, a blob of spot weld on the bottom of the device would prevent it from being used as a "grenade launcher".

Something that might be worth consideration is an actual sound suppressor, since silencers are legal in CT (pretty sure).  Not sure what you'd have to do to make that work on a post-ban rifle, but if you're serious about a home defense weapon it would be something to consider.  Something like a 12.5" barrel with a pinned silencer would get you a non-SBR and non-AW rifle.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why bother with a comp at all? Go to Hoffmans and get one of their AWB complaint S&W M&P 15's. Right now they have a couple of models on sale for cheaper than you could build one.

If I lived in CT, and had to deal with AWB compliance - this is the best advice I've read so far.  

S&W makes a good AR and they're headquartered up in Springfield, MA.    

Do it and know you have a great HD carbine!
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#47]
14.5 or 16" bare. I had a 14.5" but thankfully now have the pleasure of owning an SBR so 11.5" it is.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 4:49:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Linear Comps are good for directing the blast down range instead of to the side. If you were ever on an entry team, you would better understand why directing the blast away instead of to the side is important. It's not as much the sound as it is the actual blast and concussion taking the guy beside you's face off.
It is still very loud indoors as the sound will bounce off the walls.
Dave N
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#49]
I use a 14.7" AR with an ACOG and Surefire light for home defense. I don't mind the length at all. If I can use almost the same sized barrel to clear houses in Iraq then I'm sure I can do the same clearing my house should the need arise.

ETA: I also own a 10.5" SBR and an MP5 but still choose the 14.7" AR
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If I was in your case with AWB restrictions I would go with 14.5" lightweight profile barrel with a BattleComp 1.5 or similar permanent brake, its muzzle flash are about the same as a standard A2 FS, and would use TAP 75 ammo (which I currently use).

For myself in a no ban state I'm using 16" with A2 FS (Colt SP6920), my house doesn't have narrow hallways, I like changing my FS myself, I'm used to the 16" barrels since my first SP2 carbine in '85 and have not encountered any disadvantages so far, I even used my 16" lightweight carbine during the '92 L.A. riots when I was living there that time.

I'm also going with the Navy SEALS choice, heard they prefer 16" barrels.

If I ever get the SBR bug it would be a 12.5" medium profile barrel and probably with a mini Surefire can.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top