AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was using an M16 before we had lights.  I had some great NVGs to see the bad guy with, but had no way of using my iron sights to aim until our team leaders (1 out of 3 or 4 guys) got issued lasers around 94-95. That gear was cool, but still didn't work very well.  We relied on frag grenades, machine guns, and arty at night.  Night combat in past decades didn't work out so well without lights.  We shot a bunch of rounds without many hits.  Go to the range in the dark and try to hit a man size target at 50m using your muzzle flash to get a sight picture.

I will argue that for anything other than a range gun, a white light is the most important accessory on any firearm.  The OP mentioned using this weapon in a HD role, so he is legally and morally obligated to be able to identify his target and what's around it before shooting.  Even in the dark.

But don't take my word, ask the City of Raleigh, NC how many millions of dollars not equipping their police department shotguns with white lighs cost them a few years ago.

RDS are a force mulitplier, and I prefer them, but you can get by with irons, as I stated in my origianal post.

A white light on a weapon is a MUST.

Rob

I disagree. Not a must, but a nice luxury. That being said, I have a light on my go-to rifle. Do I think it's a must? No. Do I think it's nice to have? Indeed I do.

Being able to positively identify your target isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.   OP stated his rifle is for HD...it needs a quality weapon light.  Nevermind the advantage of temporarily blinding a threat with 200 lumens.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't read the thread.

Assuming it's a flat top:

BUIS, some sort of quality optic, light, sling.  Those would be my "must haves."

I would want a basic but strong quad rail (KAC M4 RAS can be had for very cheap) and a VFG (for indexing and for when the gun gets hot).

ETA: For those who think a light is not a must have, target ID is of paramount importance in any self defense situation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Assuming it's a flat must haves."

I would want a basic but strong quad rail (KAC M4 RAS can be had for very cheap) and a VFG (for indexing and for when the gun gets hot).

ETA: For those who think a light is not a must have, target ID is of paramount importance in any self defense situation.

why a quad rail?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was using an M16 before we had lights.  I had some great NVGs to see the bad guy with, but had no way of using my iron sights to aim until our team leaders (1 out of 3 or 4 guys) got issued lasers around 94-95. That gear was cool, but still didn't work very well.  We relied on frag grenades, machine guns, and arty at night.  Night combat in past decades didn't work out so well without lights.  We shot a bunch of rounds without many hits.  Go to the range in the dark and try to hit a man size target at 50m using your muzzle flash to get a sight picture.

I will argue that for anything other than a range gun, a white light is the most important accessory on any firearm.  The OP mentioned using this weapon in a HD role, so he is legally and morally obligated to be able to identify his target and what's around it before shooting.  Even in the dark.

But don't take my word, ask the City of Raleigh, NC how many millions of dollars not equipping their police department shotguns with white lighs cost them a few years ago.

RDS are a force mulitplier, and I prefer them, but you can get by with irons, as I stated in my origianal post.

Rob

I disagree. Not a must, but a nice luxury. That being said, I have a light on my go-to rifle. Do I think it's a must? No. Do I think it's nice to have? Indeed I do.

Being able to positively identify your target isn't a luxury, it's a necessity.   OP stated his rifle is for HD...it needs a quality weapon light.  Nevermind the advantage of temporarily blinding a threat with 200 lumens.

This.

A guy would feel awful silly for putting hornady TAP through his wall because their cat knocked over a vase
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

For an HD rifle, it is a necessity, but the OP said nothing about home defense in his original post. For a any and every AR, it's not a necessity.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Lets see
Flashlight
Sling
Ammo
Mags
Quality optic
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Flashlight - not required unless it is a HD/SD gun
Sling- required I like the silent 2 pts that have been issued for 30 years they are about $8
Ammo - required
Mags–– required I like magpul or USGI aluminum
cleaning kit - required
Quality optic- not required

I would like to add a bayonet m7 or m9 as a not required but really nice.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Flashlight - not required unless it is a HD/SD gun

Nice summarization.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Mods, I know this isn't GD and only putting this because it's half the fun of having an AR-15.
OP,The options for you rifle are almost limitless and when you have disposable funds its fun to try different setups.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Home Defense? No, the OP didn't say jack about what he was going to shoot at all.

Light? Sure, it's necessary to ID your target - also jail time as jacklighting when hunting in MO. Maybe not.
Sling? In a tree stand shooting around the trunk 12 feet up? Better a safety harness and cord to haul it up. No sling.
Magazines, sure. Eight to ten round mags depending on State hunting regulations. Don't really need more than one hunting.
Home Defense? Handgun and a flashlight, the preferred, recommended #1 choice.

How about What Range, What Target? and then we work with the answers to recommend something needed in that specific area? So far, all we know is the OP is going to shoot ammo thru a DD M4.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
so far the best accesory that i have installed is Mako AG-43 pistol grip. many other manufacturers offer same design and I just love it. More accesories on the way but this one really impressed me and gave me feeling of another much better gun. Factory military style  grip is too small and narrow. i would always recommend to replace factory one with something like AG-43  

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Actually in the 5th post down, he did say it was for a HD weapon.

Quoted:
Honestly, I don't want any fancy optics on my HD gun.  Knowing me, I will probably get a 22 cal AR for my kids to plink with and I would get an optic on that.  I plan on sticking with iron sights.  I do want a flashlight though.  Any suggestions for a newb?

I definitely want a good sling.  

Thanks for the opinions guys...keep 'um coming!!!

On a HD gun, the following should be mandatory-
Sling
White light
Aimpoint
Good ammo
TRAINING!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually in the 5th post down, he did say it was for a HD weapon.

Quoted:
Honestly, I don't want any fancy optics on my HD gun.  Knowing me, I will probably get a 22 cal AR for my kids to plink with and I would get an optic on that.  I plan on sticking with iron sights.  I do want a flashlight though.  Any suggestions for a newb?

I definitely want a good sling.  

Thanks for the opinions guys...keep 'um coming!!!

On a HD gun, the following should be mandatory-
Sling
White light
Aimpoint
Good ammo
TRAINING!!!

I think a good optic is needed for HD i know i wouldnt want to have to lign up buis in the dark

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#14]
"Always" is a bit much, considering the first users of the M16 preferred the A1 length of pull, and the small grip. Many of us who changed to the A2 found it bulky and uncomfortable. Others say the opposite, it fits them perfectly, and now in the Supersized Generation, an even bigger grip preferred.

It's about sizing to the individual and their use, not a one size fits all mandate. That's why recommending accessories is useless without knowing a lot more about the shooter and what he plans to shoot with it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#15]
HD is a white suburban fantasy, a dress up version of TEOTWAWKI.

A real assessment of Home Defense would include Physical Security of the property and who could access it. If the neighborhood is that bad, do what tens of millions of others do. Move out.

Millions of others carry a handgun, open or concealed. Rifle users live in rural areas, and are more likely to shoot varmints in the poultry house or around the property. Actual home invasions are likely to be fellow drug dealers recovering stolen merchandise, or that new GF's former abuser coming back to repossess what's he thinks he owns.

Which is it? Cause the place needs to be armored like a EF5 tornado shelter, and staying there is inviting trouble.  

Maybe it's just playing along with the latest internet fad. Lets just label it a Zombie gun and be honest about it.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I buy ammo then shoot it.  I only use iron sites.  I dont mess that other bullshit.  anything pst 300 yards i amnot interested in.  but buy all the shit you want...your gun..Your next post will be about how your gun is heavy and not balanced
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A real assessment of Home Defense would include Physical Security of the property and who could access it. If the neighborhood is that bad, do what tens of millions of others do. Move out.

Millions of others carry a handgun, open or concealed. Rifle users live in rural areas, and are more likely to shoot varmints in the poultry house or around the property. Actual home invasions are likely to be fellow drug dealers recovering stolen merchandise, or that new GF's former abuser coming back to repossess what's he thinks he owns.

Which is it? Cause the place needs to be armored like a EF5 tornado shelter, and staying there is inviting trouble.  

Maybe it's just playing along with the latest internet fad. Lets just label it a Zombie gun and be honest about it.

Damn...guilty as charged!!!  It will be a HD gun but I am thinking it will be more a zombie killer as I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood (which I assume would be the stomping ground of zombies since they would get f'ed up in the hood).  
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I could cite article upon article of home invasions by strangers (not involving fellow drug dealers, former abusers, etc.).  Do you read the newspaper or watch the news?  It's not always in the "bad" neighborhoods either.  I know the liklihood of having to rely upon the weapon for HD is slim, but I'm not going to bury my head in the sand.  I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the possibility, but I think being prepared is rather prudent.

Listen to yourself.  You make a fine argument for the anit-gun lobby.  "You don't need a firearm for home defense....the odds are you won't have to use it, and if the neighborhood is that bad just move out."
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming it's a flat must haves."

why a quad rail?

I realize it is easy to install a light and VFG without a rail, but I prefer the quad rail to do both.  That's why I said it's not a need, but a want.  Here's mine:

ETA: Surefire 951 is on the other side.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#20]

After the cleaning kit, mags, ammo, and sling; consider a Geissele trigger.

I'm willing to bet a DD has a very good trigger but Geissele is excellent.

I've had good LMT and Armalite two stage triggers but the SSA is a cut above.

When you're doing some 100 yard plinking or competition. you'll appreciate it.

I realize you're asking about basics but I'm surprised that I'm the first to mention a

good trigger.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I realize you're asking about basics but I'm surprised that I'm the first to mention a
good trigger.

While I agree, a trigger is not an accessory, but rather a necessary component of a functioning rifle.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Get yourself a good set of iron sights (assuming your rifle doesn't already have them), a practical sling, several good magazines and as much range time as you can afford. All the gee gaws may or may not make it onto your rifle somewhere down the line. My 2 ARs are pretty much plain Janes. One sports a Leupold 2x7x33 VXII and the other wears a EoTech XPS2-0 Halo sight on a GG&G mount. One goes into the field hunting coyote and the other is my personal defense rifle. It will wind up wearing a good light. I just haven't made up my  mind which light I want to use at this point. As far as I'm concerned the KISS principle should always apply to firearms. Enjoy your new rifle. Treat it well and it will serve you well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Light, sling and a GUNFIGHTER charging handle.

I'm curious why you deem this a "must have" accessory, before an optic, even. Have you ever had a charging handle fail?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This Is so epically full of fail, it's hard for me to get my head around but I'll take a stab:

Do you honestly believe yourself so clever and superior that you are the only one to consider physical security of your home? Are you actually claiming that someone who chooses a rifle for home defense has NOT done everything within their means to improve the security of their home? Do you really believe that simply moving is a viable option for most folks? Do you really believe that "nice" areas are immune to crime? Do you really believe that only ex boyfriends and drug dealers break into peoples' homes?

Either you actually believe all the dumbass shit you posted or you are trolling. This is AR15.com, after all, you pushed all the right buttons to get attention.

Then again, maybe you're like my friend Steve who claims "Meh, you don't really need it," about ANYTHING he doesn't have. You have to convince yourself that others are living in fantasy land so that you can feel better about not having some piece of kit you wish you had.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This Is so epically full of fail, it's hard for me to get my head around but I'll take a stab:

Do you honestly believe yourself so clever and superior that you are the only one to consider physical security of your home? Are you actually claiming that someone who chooses a rifle for home defense has NOT done everything within their means to improve the security of their home? Do you really believe that simply moving is a viable option for most folks? Do you really believe that "nice" areas are immune to crime? Do you really believe that only ex boyfriends and drug dealers break into peoples' homes?

Either you actually believe all the dumbass shit you posted or you are trolling. This is AR15.com, after all, you pushed all the right buttons to get attention.

Then again, maybe you're like my friend Steve who claims "Meh, you don't really need it," about ANYTHING he doesn't have. You have to convince yourself that others are living in fantasy land so that you can feel better about not having some piece of kit you wish you had.

thank you for saving me the time required to type that.

and OP, dont forget the golf ball launcher.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Regardless of the methodology you choose to subscribe to, chances are you will probably eventually end up with some sort of:  flip up rear BUIS, optic, weapon light, and sling
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Use your AR in the role that you've intended to use it & the "must have accessories" will become self evident.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#28]
5th post in the thread OP states rifle is for HD.  Reading and all that shit, ya dig?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

For an HD rifle, it is a necessity, but the OP said nothing about home defense in his original post. For a any and every AR, it's not a necessity.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I picked my rifle up tonight and the shit I bought...

2 add'l mags for now
good cleaning kit (to compliment already having a lot of cleaning materials for my pistols)
200 rds of ammo (for now)
a box of 30 to shoot since I got free range time for my purchase (only shot that box and had to go)

Overall I spent a lot of extra money on extra stuff and I'm far from done.  My DDM4 came with  a DD hard case, GREAT iron sights, a Magpul AFG, and a Magpul window mag.  I see how this AR ownership will be an expensive hobby.  I was looking at a .22 lr AR for my boys before I left.  The guy in the shop said I should just get a .22 upper and I thought about you junkies on here that have more than one.  Now, I am in NO way a follower but I can see why you would want to own more than one.  I haven't been an AR owner for more than 3 hours and I'm already contemplating the next one.  I think I'll get a Kel Tec sub-2000 for my boys to shoot with and build my next AR.  Awe damn...I'm hooked!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
5th post in the thread OP states rifle is for HD.  Reading and all that shit, ya dig?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

No need for that. I went by what he posted initially. If he wanted it considered, he would've put it in the original post, ya dig?

And like I said, for any and every AR (like the original post suggests), a light is NOT necessary.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious why you deem this a "must have" accessory, before an optic, even. Have you ever had a charging handle fail?

I have never had a CH completely fail but I have had the pin on the CH latch break. I find a CH with a tac-latch a necessity to help easy charging and possibly clearing a malfunction. I am very hard on charging handles and after having an "add on" latch break I have gone to Gunfighters on all my rifles. JMHO

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have one of those. It's unabashedly "Hold ma beer and watch this!" fun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have one of those. It's unabashedly "Hold ma beer and watch this!" fun.

I stopped taking golf so serious as I realized I will never be "old" Tiger or, dare I say it, Rory.   I think a golf ball launcher would be GREAT!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never had a CH completely fail but I have had the pin on the CH latch break. I find a CH with a tac-latch a necessity to help easy charging and possibly clearing a malfunction. I am very hard on charging handles and after having an "add on" latch break I have gone to Gunfighters on all my rifles. JMHO

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A good, basic two point sling
http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.com/images/sling.jpg

A good cleaning kit
CLP
A nice supply of USGI mags
Ammo
A rifle case

Not much else you need

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Armorers manual

for SHTF
Light /Aimpoint/good sling
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#37]
OK, here is a word from the old school ... back in the Marine Corps and back in the I Corps of the Nam in '69 we grunts threw away our slings and found a long enough strap that we'd tie atop our front sights and then around the butt of the A2 stock. Then we'd hang them over our shoulder "right side up." Regular slings were a pain, but a good investment now.

Also, recommend several MagPul 20-rounders because when you come around to shooting off a bench, a 30-rounder will not allow your rifle to seat well while using a bipod.

OK, you evidently have a carbine, but some day you are going to buy an AR of 20- to 24-inches because they are accurate as all get-up, so you will need a good Harris swiveling bipod of 9-13 inches.

Optics? You're evidently young and so are most posters on this board and y'all don't need much more than iron sights. But there will come a day when you can't focus on both the front sight and the target. Thus God –– who is a Marine –– made magnified optics. Get whatever gives you a woody.

Me? I've got a nice little LMT 14.5 carbine that reminds me of the Nam and I put a 2-7x33 Vortex Viper on it. But on my AR Cadillac, a 22-inch stainless steel JP Enterprises booger shooter, I've got a 6-24x50 Vortex Viper PST or a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 to choose from.

Oh, yeah, for home defense ... a big Maglite flashlight, a 1911 .45 ACP and a Remington short-barrel .12 ga. with a 10 shell tube alternating between OO buck and No. 4 magnums.

And when you've got AT LEAST 20 mags and 1,000 rounds of ammo for your AR in your closet, then you'll almost be close to having enough ammo.

Welcome to Black Rifle Disease ... I've had it for 42 years. There is no cure.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OK, here is a word from the old school ... back in the Marine Corps and back in the I Corps of the Nam in '69 we grunts threw away our slings and found a long enough strap that we'd tie atop our front sights and then around the butt of the A2 stock. Then we'd hang them over our shoulder "right side up." Regular slings were a pain, but a good investment now.

Also, recommend several MagPul 20-rounders because when you come around to shooting off a bench, a 30-rounder will not allow your rifle to seat well while using a bipod.

OK, you evidently have a carbine, but some day you are going to buy an AR of 20- to 24-inches because they are accurate as all get-up, so you will need a good Harris swiveling bipod of 9-13 inches.

Optics? You're evidently young and so are most posters on this board and y'all don't need much more than iron sights. But there will come a day when you can't focus on both the front sight and the target. Thus God –– who is a Marine –– made magnified optics. Get whatever gives you a woody.

Me? I've got a nice little LMT 14.5 carbine that reminds me of the Nam and I put a 2-7x33 Vortex Viper on it. But on my AR Cadillac, a 22-inch stainless steel JP Enterprises booger shooter, I've got a 6-24x50 Vortex Viper PST or a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 to choose from.

Oh, yeah, for home defense ... a big Maglite flashlight, a 1911 .45 ACP and a Remington short-barrel .12 ga. with a 10 shell tube alternating between OO buck and No. 4 magnums.

And when you've got AT LEAST 20 mags and 1,000 rounds of ammo for your AR in your closet, then you'll almost be close to having enough ammo.

OP: Ignore what I highlighted––you are on the right track with a carbine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Haven't read the whole thread, but I really like the Gunfighter charging handle.  It's the best upgrade I've made to rifles.  It's a "must have" for me now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, just showing my age...
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, just showing my age...

Hey GentleBen, thanks for your reply.  I've already been thinking about what my NEXT AR will be and I was thinking of building one with a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#42]
It's pretty subjective and would have to do with what the weapon is used for. IMO the best way to answer it would be to ask myself what are the most universal accessories that a majority of people would use for a majority of applications. I believe they would be accessories that you would want with most long gun regardless or what kind it is.
Probably a sling, extra magazines/ammunition and cleaning materials. There's probably additional basic fundamental accessories that I'm not thinking of but those come to mind first.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top