User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
mk262 looks to be about 1 moa or a little over? interested to hear your and others feedback on whether that gas block rubbing/impact has an impact on accuracy.

I mailed off two uppers to be built by JT over at Retro Arms Works today, a holland build and a mod 1 build. I figured with the special tools needed for the PRI and KAC hand guards, along with the press on fit of the mk12 gas block(badger ordnance), it's just better to a have a true pro do the work. I do not have the right tools for the job. I'm excited to get them back and shoot them. JT does excellent work and does a good job on comms too.

I almost feel dirty thinking I am going to have to paint the H to get it to look right. Lower is a colt retro reissue, only 2500 of them out there, definitely grey color, and upper is a m4 upper, very black. I might have a 50 shades of AR if I do not paint it.

https://i.imgur.com/wYHbOaY.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Put some range time on the H with oring on the screw & loctited - Wolf Gold was still kinda sketchy imo, but MK262 Mod 1 def tightened up for me - below was my best today at 100yd with 12th - POA is the yellow dot.

MK262 MOD 1
https://i.postimg.cc/2ykcxB4z/wwrszTs.jpg

and the cheap stuff - Wolf Gold.
https://i.postimg.cc/R0vHhQ9V/3mQmpkr.jpg
mk262 looks to be about 1 moa or a little over? interested to hear your and others feedback on whether that gas block rubbing/impact has an impact on accuracy.

I mailed off two uppers to be built by JT over at Retro Arms Works today, a holland build and a mod 1 build. I figured with the special tools needed for the PRI and KAC hand guards, along with the press on fit of the mk12 gas block(badger ordnance), it's just better to a have a true pro do the work. I do not have the right tools for the job. I'm excited to get them back and shoot them. JT does excellent work and does a good job on comms too.

I almost feel dirty thinking I am going to have to paint the H to get it to look right. Lower is a colt retro reissue, only 2500 of them out there, definitely grey color, and upper is a m4 upper, very black. I might have a 50 shades of AR if I do not paint it.

After I removed my screw I took it out for some quick testing. It did seem to help, but I started having some inconsistencies a bit later that might make the first groups a fluke. If the weather holds up this weekend, I'm going to go back out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:19:46 AM EDT
[#2]

View Quote
That’s one of the few lowers I’ve ever seen I might not paint-it’s freaking awesome as is!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:33:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stoner63a] [#3]
Did anybody come up with a consistent and correct Pelican 1700 Case SPR Foam Insert?  I just saw these on the Bay by myfoamdesigner $178.95 including shipping:
My Foam Designer Mk12 SPR IM3100 Foam Inserts $178.95

Seller wrote me back, they have a regular website https://cobrafoaminserts.com/products/mk12-spr-rifle-foam-insert-for-pelican-case-1700-polyethylene
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 2:14:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:
that is my card and yes its for 77 grain  MK 262 ammo
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:

I saved this off a while back - can't recall if from here or elsewhere...
MK262 MOD1 77gr
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/385949/MK12_77_Clicks_JPG-958915.jpg
that is my card and yes its for 77 grain  MK 262 ammo
I meant shooting position elevation... sorry should have specified.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

After I removed my screw I took it out for some quick testing. It did seem to help, but I started having some inconsistencies a bit later that might make the first groups a fluke. If the weather holds up this weekend, I'm going to go back out.
View Quote
Could it be the barrel?  I have a BA barrel on my Mod 0, and I can't seem to get it to shoot under 1.25" with any of my 77 gr hand loads.  It likes to throw flyers, too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
Did anybody come up with a consistent and correct Pelican 1700 Case SPR Foam Insert?  I just saw these on the Bay by myfoamdesigner $178.95 including shipping:
My Foam Designer Mk12 SPR IM3100 Foam Inserts $178.95

Seller wrote me back, they have a regular website https://cobrafoaminserts.com/products/mk12-spr-rifle-foam-insert-for-pelican-case-1700-polyethylene
View Quote
@stoner63a Cobra are known crap inserts. Previous ones posted in here looked like a 7 year old just hand doodled it. Zero crisp edges, wrong type of foam for a Mk12 case, etc.

There's a guy or two in the Facebook groups who have been trying to replicate the issued foam. I don't think any suppliers are currently stocking something that's truly an equal to the real ones yet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

@stoner63a Cobra are known crap inserts. Previous ones posted in here looked like a 7 year old just hand doodled it. Zero crisp edges, wrong type of foam for a Mk12 case, etc.

There's a guy or two in the Facebook groups who have been trying to replicate the issued foam. I don't think any suppliers are currently stocking something that's truly an equal to the real ones yet.
View Quote
So would you say best bet would be to get yourself an electric fillet knife and have a go at it? That's pretty much what I'm getting to the point of. I spent some time searching for precut inserts with little to no luck, also having a hard time justifying (in my head) spending that much for a foam insert...
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Part of it has to do with the originals being multiple layers of foam, not just one solid chunk. There are at least 3 main layers in there if you look at originals.

Me, for now I took a few examples of pictures of issued cases, put them on a grid, and tried to measure out rough dimensions. Then I hacked out the foam with a Kabar. It works for the moment.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Will the pick and pluck foam work?

https://www.thepelicanstore.com/foam/pick-n-pluck
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 6:28:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#10]
Originally Posted By rrhemi:
Will the pick and pluck foam work?

https://www.thepelicanstore.com/foam/pick-n-pluck
View Quote
it'll work, but its not "clone correct" i can post a pic of my horrid job when i find my phone.

ETA, found it. Attachment Attached File

Note: be mindful of the orientation of the upper before you start, I sort of screwed the pooch on that. My dumbass was a little to hurried along ..

This isnt a Pelican, I'm waiting to cut up my Pelican inserts because I dont know why. That being said, I dont feel bad for botching this up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Marsh_Rat:
Could it be the barrel?  I have a BA barrel on my Mod 0, and I can't seem to get it to shoot under 1.25" with any of my 77 gr hand loads.  It likes to throw flyers, too.
View All Quotes

I'm suspecting it is. Want to rule it out before dropping the coin on another barrel first. Though in the money I've spent on ammo trying to get it to work would've bought a new tube.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:31:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm suspecting it is. Want to rule it out before dropping the coin on another barrel first. Though in the money I've spent on ammo trying to get it to work would've bought a new tube.
View All Quotes

Hmm that's 3 of us with BA barrels with similar issues...  I also want to do some more testing.  I was able to shoot the group posted above with MK262, but that will get spendy.  My typical range fodder is the Wolf Gold, which shoots pretty good in my other rifles.  You're right though you can spend a lot on ammo chasing it down.  I'm not even sure what other H barrels are available, actually.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 9:43:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#13]
Has anyone tried to shave off a bit of the screw yet? Looking to do up a Holland next and knowing if theres a fix for this beforehand would be neat

Also, this seems to be a common issue with BA barrels, does anyone have this issue with a barrel from other manufacturers?
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kmcale:
Has anyone tried to shave off a bit of the screw yet? Looking to do up a Holland next and knowing if theres a fix for this beforehand would be neat

Also, this seems to be a common issue with BA barrels, does anyone have this issue with a barrel from other manufacturers?
View Quote
I shaved some off but in order to leave enough meat for the retainer plate, it's still super close/touching. I'm just going to cut the retainer in half and only run the front screw.

Re: accuracy stuff...BA's site says they guarantee MOA with match ammo. Might be worth looking into before scraping a barrel.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 10:27:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#15]

I shaved some off but in order to leave enough meat for the retainer plate, it's still super close/touching. I'm just going to cut the retainer in half and only run the front screw.

Re: accuracy stuff...BA's site says they guarantee MOA with match ammo. Might be worth looking into before scraping a barrel.  
View Quote
A buddy of mine I work with (who is also on and off this thread) mentioned trying to file down a little bit off the top of the gas block just until it doesnt touch? I know most of us would prefer not doing that, but it's a solid option, I think.

I'm not knocking BA's quality of barrel, but maybe the harmonics of the BA barrel differ from a Douglas, more/less movement? I dont know a whole lot about that stuff, but maybe the case here?

ETA: along with the filing of the gas block, before it gets ruled out. It already is scuffed up from the screw, what difference would it really make to file down some? Also, its covered and most of us rattle can the gun anyway, likely no one will ever notice
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Just to be clear so I’m getting this right.

If one was going to go with the Leupold 2.5-8 for a MK12 Mod 1, the correct reticle is the TMR and not a standard Mildot, right?
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:03:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#17]
Hmm that's 3 of us with BA barrels with similar issues...  I also want to do some more testing.  I was able to shoot the group posted above with MK262, but that will get spendy.  My typical range fodder is the Wolf Gold, which shoots pretty good in my other rifles.  You're right though you can spend a lot on ammo chasing it down.  I'm not even sure what other H barrels are available, actually.  
View All Quotes

I have another BA Barrel on a Mod 1 Recce.. Will be out at the range tomorrow and I’ll report back.. Ammo I’ll be using are..
IMI RazorCore 77gr
Black Hills 77gr
and CBC/Magtech 77gr,
and OF COURSE my favorite Wolf Gold
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By david05111:

If one was going to go with the Leupold 2.5-8 for a MK12 Mod 1, the correct reticle is the TMR and not a standard Mildot, right?
View Quote
Correct
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Correct
View All Quotes

If one was going to go with the Leupold 2.5-8 for a MK12 Mod 1, the cordrect reticle is the TMR and not a standard Mildot, right?
Correct
I actually would disagree, don't post much anymore but I try to watch the thread as frequently as I can. Most of the scopes supplied by Leupold under contract, early ts-30, ts-30a2 and the later 57055 3-9x36 all were mildot. The 2.5-8x36 models supplied under contract from 2006 onwards were 60150 and 67920 were again mildot, these scopes along with the 112633 were all nsn 1005-01-562-0953. What really muddles the waters is that there was probably 6 or 7 companies that actually won contracts to supply the optics to include Leupold, even though all the optics came via Leupold.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tamboi:
I actually would disagree, don't post much anymore but I try to watch the thread as frequently as I can. Most of the scopes supplied by Leupold under contract, early ts-30, ts-30a2 and the later 57055 3-9x36 all were mildot. The 2.5-8x36 models supplied under contract from 2006 onwards were 60150 and 67920 were again mildot, these scopes along with the 112633 were all nsn 1005-01-562-0953. What really muddles the waters is that there was probably 6 or 7 companies that actually won contracts to supply the optics to include Leupold, even though all the optics came via Leupold.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tamboi:

If one was going to go with the Leupold 2.5-8 for a MK12 Mod 1, the cordrect reticle is the TMR and not a standard Mildot, right?
Correct
From what I've seen talking to Marines I think by their time they were getting commercial Illum TMR models. This was from a guy that posted some of his deployment pics in here years back. I'd figure around 2006 or so maybe the TMRs started being supplied since that's when they showed up in the Mil catalogs?:

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:11:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engel12626] [#21]
View Quote
Yeah that's what I did. Thought it was the gas block I used, but by my math it's actually a few hairs smaller than a Mk12 block. It's dimensions are on page 357.

Everything's still solid with one less screw up there.

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Posted in the Holland thread but yeah, asked around and issued Hollands there was no contact, using PRI blocks. It may be that PRI started sending longer screws for some reason, so spacers or cutting down the screws, or hell getting some different ones makes plenty of sense.

But no, there should be no contact in any AR15 system, unlike M14s that basically require tension.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Ergo grip and Geissele installed on the Mod Juan

Link Posted: 6/3/2019 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Knurled AEM5 was approved back in March. Nodak NDS-16A1 was delivered the same week as the stamp. I need to build out the lower + throw the KAC sights back on and she is complete.

Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Here is the start of my MK12. I have a little ways to go and change the upper out for a correct one, but it is taking shape.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Took the Mod Juan, my M40A3 Clone and a friend of mine out to a long range day two weeks ago, a lot of fun was had :D
Managed to get her out to 500m (literally her third time on this rifle, she's more into pistols...) with ease (12" plates), 600 was doable (torso sized target) but hard to spot. All with "M193" by GGG.
Still my favorite AR Build :)

Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:49:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Philipp:
Took the Mod Juan, my M40A3 Clone and a friend of mine out to a long range day two weeks ago, a lot of fun was had :D
Managed to get her out to 500m (literally her third time on this rifle, she's more into pistols...) with ease (12" plates), 600 was doable (torso sized target) but hard to spot. All with "M193" by GGG.
Still my favorite AR Build :)
https://i.imgur.com/JEDXHjh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HxVUFdU.jpg
View Quote
What brass catcher is that?
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:54:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Philipp] [#28]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
What brass catcher is that?
View Quote
The Caldwell Pica one, works great you'll have to empty it after 150 rounds or so
This one: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015055227/caldwell-brass-catcher-ar-15-picatinny-rail-mount-nylon-mesh-black
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I would like to get a MK 12 Mod 0 and would like to know opinions if I should go with PRS or Centurion for the upper? Seems like the Centurion doesn't have the Douglas bbl anymore? I guess neither is fully correct because not a Colt BCG or Upper?

Can I just turn my brain off and get either of these and be close other then the Arms sleeve that isn't made anymore?
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Liquid77:
I would like to get a MK 12 Mod 0 and would like to know opinions if I should go with PRS or Centurion for the upper? Seems like the Centurion doesn't have the Douglas bbl anymore? I guess neither is fully correct because not a Colt BCG or Upper?

Can I just turn my brain off and get either of these and be close other then the Arms sleeve that isn't made anymore?
View Quote
If I was doing a Mod 0 I would go PRI factory upper.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Is my only other choice to build my own so I have a colt upper? I have Colt BCGs laying around so only the upper would be wrong I guess?

Can you confirm Centurion isn't using a Douglas air gauged bbl?
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Is my only other choice to build my own so I have a colt upper? I have Colt BCGs laying around so only the upper would be wrong I guess?

View Quote
You can always send your colt upper to PRI and have them build it around that instead of the pri upper. Give them a call.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
You could also try getting in touch with Kevin at HCS about a Mod 0 build. He mentioned shutting things down/greatly downsizing last time I spoke with him, but he might still be able to do one of these, or even have one ready to go. It's worth asking imo
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

You could also try getting in touch with Kevin at HCS about a Mod 0 build. He mentioned shutting things down/greatly downsizing last time I spoke with him, but he might still be able to do one of these, or even have one ready to go. It's worth asking imo
View Quote
Thanks. I forgot about HCI sad to hear they are shutting down. If I just grab a Colt upper from like SA I should be good to go?
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Found a mo-bettah Mark 4 to replace the Vari-X III on my Mod 0...

Probably going to send it to Leupold to be serviced before painting
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#36]
What does the hyde say about Mod Juan vs Mod H being best Mod? Currently have an almost complete Mod Juan but it’s a heavy bitch. Does the H weigh significantly less and what’s the cost to build an H compared to a Juan?
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#37]
I say mod H, and it's heavy too, there not going to be light unless you just run irons, no can, etc.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
What does the hyde say about Mod Juan vs Mod H being best Mod? Currently have an almost complete Mod Juan but it's a heavy bitch. Does the H weigh significantly less and what's the cost to build an H compared to a Juan?
View Quote
Go with the MK12...
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
What does the hyde say about Mod Juan vs Mod H being best Mod? Currently have an almost complete Mod Juan but it’s a heavy bitch. Does the H weigh significantly less and what’s the cost to build an H compared to a Juan?
View Quote
I debated this as well and went Mod Juan. Do not regret it.

In other news ladies, I’m picking my Aem5 up Monday from capital armory. Will post pics and more pics
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Shot mine yesterday with half the backing part cut off and no screw - hell I think it shot worse :(.  I tried MK262, Green Tip, and Wolf Gold, all shot like $hit after the mod...  Now I have to chase down a new backing plate.  

Actually I am going to try one more time, I didn't have my suppressor cover and was getting some mirage so at that point everything kinda went out the window for trying to hit a 1" spot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Shot mine yesterday with half the backing part cut off and no screw - hell I think it shot worse :(.  I tried MK262, Green Tip, and Wolf Gold, all shot like $hit after the mod...  Now I have to chase down a new backing plate.  

Actually I am going to try one more time, I didn't have my suppressor cover and was getting some mirage so at that point everything kinda went out the window for trying to hit a 1" spot.
View All Quotes

Well that's no bueno. Might want to try reaching out to them about their MOA guarantee.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#42]
How many shots are you guys calling a group?  Pretty sure they only "guarantee" 3 shots.  I had a few BA barrels.  2 of them would not group well.   1 did <MOA 10 shot groups with the black box Winchester 69gr match ammo from wally but not anything I found in 77gr.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
How many shots are you guys calling a group?  Pretty sure they only "guarantee" 3 shots.  I had a few BA barrels.  2 of them would not group well.   1 did <MOA 10 shot groups with the black box Winchester 69gr match ammo from wally but not anything I found in 77gr.
View Quote
I do 5 round groups, but it might take me 5 rounds to get a "good" 3 rounds group. If I do 3 rounds, they could be a ways apart. If I send 2 more, I could get one or two of them back into the center of the group.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Is there a barrel manufacturer that doesn't guarantee MOA accuracy with match ammo on the eleventeenth of the 13th month, between 1000 and 1200 GMT?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Having the AEM5 in hand almost makes me forget about the scope, haha. I have not decided if I want to go Leupold or NF...
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By nobodyspecial:
https://i.imgur.com/9nsCpeE.jpg

Having the AEM5 in hand almost makes me forget about the scope, haha. I have not decided if I want to go Leupold or NF...
View Quote
What scope is mounted in your pic?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nobodyspecial:
https://i.imgur.com/9nsCpeE.jpg

Looks like a PST 2.5-10
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Looks like a PST 2.5-10
View Quote
I think you are right. The older ones look better to me than the newer gen. Cleaner lines around the power ring. Silly thing, I know.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I think you are right. The older ones look better to me than the newer gen. Cleaner lines around the power ring. Silly thing, I know.
View All Quotes

Looks like a PST 2.5-10
Yep, thats it. it works okish, and looks OK until I figure out what I want to do for optic. I will probably keep the LaRue mount, since I saw a pic of one in use on a MK12.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Finally got to putting this together this weekend. Will get to shoot it in a couple of days. Might have to paint this one since it's all sort of different colors already.

Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top