Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 1177
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
So these are cool now?

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, I would like to get some opinions on safety levers. Would an ambi safety be correct for a Mod 0 and/or Mod 1? Oddly, where I have seen ambi safeties the most is on Mod 0s (full-length levers on both sides), with Mod 1s having the non-ambi safeties. Does that sound normal? I think at the end of the day it is probably a mishmash of parts so there won't be any rhyme or reason.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:05:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nutro] [#3]
The harder to find ones are welded handles and have "PAT PENDING" instead of Patent info I think
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:07:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yes, that's one of the three handle types that were issued on Mk12s. For a very narrow window of time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mdavis:
Also, I would like to get some opinions on safety levers. Would an ambi safety be correct for a Mod 0 and/or Mod 1? Oddly, where I have seen ambi safeties the most is on Mod 0s (full-length levers on both sides), with Mod 1s having the non-ambi safeties. Does that sound normal? I think at the end of the day it is probably a mishmash of parts so there won't be any rhyme or reason.
View Quote

The DPMS Ambidextrous M16 selector was used on the original SPR and into the Mk12 Mod 1 introduction. Somewhere along the line, later Mod 0s and some of the Mod 1s didn't receive new grips or possibly even match triggers, so many very well never had them.

The other side is that guy very well may have removed them if they got in the way or snagged on gear, both of which I have heard complaints about.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:23:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mdavis] [#6]
Originally Posted By Nutro:
The harder to find ones are welded handles and have "PAT PENDING" instead of Patent info I think
View Quote

Good to know on the "PAT PENDING" mark. I think mine is also hand-welded by the looks of it too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
AEM5s in stock on Tarheel State Firearms. There was 12 when I grabbed on at about 3pm EST today.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Capital Armory just posted some in stock as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

The DPMS Ambidextrous M16 selector was used on the original SPR and into the Mk12 Mod 1 introduction. Somewhere along the line, later Mod 0s and some of the Mod 1s didn't receive new grips or possibly even match triggers, so many very well never had them.

The other side is that guy very well may have removed them if they got in the way or snagged on gear, both of which I have heard complaints about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks. It seems like I’ve seen non-ambi safeties be more prevalent across the board, so I’m leaning toward regular safeties for my Mod 0, 1 and H.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Were the knurled AEM5's a special run? my current aem5 is knurled, and neither of those listings mention it. It was bought for $530 shipped. Prices are up i guess. I want a 2nd to stash away, current affairs and all.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks. It seems like I’ve seen non-ambi safeties be more prevalent across the board, so I’m leaning toward regular safeties for my Mod 0, 1 and H.
View Quote

The SPRs and Hollands should lean towards the ambis, seeing as the Hollands reused the SPR lowers and the bulk of the ones I've got pics of still had them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Were the knurled AEM5's a special run? my current aem5 is knurled, and neither of those listings mention it. It was bought for $530 shipped. Prices are up i guess. I want a 2nd to stash away, current affairs and all.
View Quote

A while back Ron decided all AEM5s would be knurled to simplify things. I unfortunately got a somewhat earlyish one before he offered knurling.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey all, I have 2 more of those 2003 era exact replica slings I made. Toss me an email or IM if interested. Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#14]

The SPRs and Hollands should lean towards the ambis, seeing as the Hollands reused the SPR lowers and the bulk of the ones I've got pics of still had them.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the info. Based on that I may just leave the Mod 0 and 1 with the non-ambi and the H with an ambi.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]

A while back Ron decided all AEM5s would be knurled to simplify things. I unfortunately got a somewhat earlyish one before he offered knurling.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

I wonder when he made that decision? Mine is knurled and is serial #229. The knurling is very light though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#16]

I wonder when he made that decision? Mine is knurled and is serial #229. The knurling is very light though.
View Quote

Couple dozen ahead of you and smooth.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 3:17:50 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Much more recently, somewhere after mine knurling started being offered and I think mine's like 128? Within the last year or so I recall him posting either on FB or Arf Ops Inc/AEM5 pic thread that he'd just do knurled AEM5s to streamline production, and he adjusted the knurling itself to be less fancy but easier to do or something along those lines. Demand for the AEM5 has been extremely high, which seems to cramp on other projects like one-off clone cans or special orders.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unstabl] [#18]
One of the sellers has it listed that all AEM5's since October of 2019 production are knurled.  I'll see if I can find it and post a screenshot.

Capital Armory

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By unstabl:
my AEM5 came in and I went up yesterday to do a test run with my Mod 0 and H.  Both only get 3 full turns.  I know it's in this thread but I can't find it.  Where/who are you sending your collars to be turned down?  Thanks guys.
View Quote

I’ve got another can coming in this week or next. I’ll take both rifles back to the dealer and sit and verify everything you guys suggested. Both brake/collars are from Capital Armory. The H barrel is a BA and the 0 is a WOA.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#20]

I’ve got another can coming in this week or next. I’ll take both rifles back to the dealer and sit and verify everything you guys suggested. Both brake/collars are from Capital Armory. The H barrel is a BA and the 0 is a WOA.
View Quote

This one?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

This one?
View Quote

Yessir.  That's the one. Known issues?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

None known to me, not sure of others here, I get 6.5 turns on that barrel. A buddy of mine is in the same boat as I am. I ended up having to shim the brake a bit to ensure the correct web was up top, and so the threads of the barrel weren't peaking through in the brake. If the brake is on the way it should be, I would make double sure the collar is seated completely. Wouldn't hurt to try another collar if you can't pump out more turns, there isn't any obstruction behind the collar so it (collar or barrel) could be out of spec slightly
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shlouf] [#23]

View Quote

have one in my H. Shoots 69 smk and tmks great. I think I get a little over 7 turns with it
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I reseated the collar. The thin web is up on the brake. I’ll look at the muzzle protrusion and probably add some shims. See what I get. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Forgive the scope
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Markius-Fox] [#26]
Deposit paid to HCS for a Mod.0, Kev said he ought to get the critical parts needed to start the build in a week.

Now I just need to track down the KAC 97027 sling adapter (or a correct alternate?), a good price on #22M rings, and a scope (is Leupold 67925 correct? nevermind, dug a little more). I might have a contact to get the latter most done though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Random, has anyone seen or can point my towards an Form1 style can that uses the AEM's mounting system? I am debating options that don't include waiting another year for a can (already been there).
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
https://www.thoroughbredarmco.com/product/526/
View Quote

I really should keep an eye out on here more often, thanks for that though Gen III part hunting continues, gotta find a Colt AF or the proper Diemaco upper now
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#30]
And they're gone. Hope guys on here were able to pick some up, those are legit Mod 0 rails from about 2003
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
And they're gone. Hope guys on here were able to pick some up, those are legit Mod 0 rails from about 2003
View Quote

Thanks for posting but unfortunately all gone by the time I looked. Hopefully a few here got one or two for their collectiin.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:16:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rgb] [#32]
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lujohns68] [#33]

Finally finished off my Mod 0 build

Complete PRI Upper
Leupold 3.5-10x40 MK4
A.R.M.S. 22M Rings
A.R.M.S. #40 Rear Sight
KAC Bipod Adapter
Harris BRM-S with Podlock
NDS 16A1 Lower
KAC 2 Stage Trigger
Ergo Grip
Surplus M16A1 Stock
Colt M16A1 Surplus LPK

Picture taken shortly before smoking a Coyote
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Lujohns68:
https://imgur.com/OnuxUkP

Finally finished off my Mod 0 build

Complete PRI Upper
Leupold 3.5-10x40 MK4
A.R.M.S. 22M Rings
A.R.M.S. #40 Rear Sight
KAC Bipod Adapter
Harris BRM-S with Podlock
NDS 16A1 Lower
KAC 2 Stage Trigger
Ergo Grip
Surplus M16A1 Stock
Colt M16A1 Surplus LPK

Picture taken shortly before smoking a Coyote
View Quote

You should go get the PRI Gen 1 sight tower and swap it in.

https://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1361255&CAT=12357
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:33:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: unstabl] [#35]
I added two shims to my Mod H and I'm at 7 turns with the AEM 5.  Shot it a few times as well.  Very impressed with the sound.  Much better than the old A2 full auto stuff I've shot in the past.  I'm going to do the same to the Mod 0 and I bet it gets plenty of turns.  Thanks for your help guys!

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I added two shims to my Mod H and I'm at 7 turns with the AEM 5.  Shot it a few times as well.  Very impressed with the sound.  Much better than the old A2 full auto stuff I've shot in the past.  I'm going to do the same to the Mod 0 and I bet it gets plenty of turns.  Thanks for your help guys!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60012/IMG_4496__1280x768_-1660741.jpg
View Quote

Good shit man, I had a feeling that would work out
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 1:22:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#37]
If anyone’s interested in my tube on my 0 let me know. I opened up the holes to ~.43” (straight as an arrow) plus it has original no bevel rails on all 4 corners.  It still has its original finish and it extremely clean. Sides are marked PRI USA though. Email or IM me.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Will816] [#38]
Nice morning with my wife

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Who are the go-to guys these days for Mk12 builds? D. Wilson? ADCO? Any others?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

DIY
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

DIY
View All Quotes

DIY

I have neither the time, nor the skill.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

DIY

I'm looking for someone to both deconstruct an upper while not damaging the parts and then hopefully rebuilding said upper with correct parts.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

DIY

Are you an AmeriCAN or AmeriCAN'T?

Seriously, they're referred to as adult Lego for a reason. Take 15 minutes a few times a week to disassemble and reassemble. The joy of making something with your own hands outway writing someone a check.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Umm dude...

My MK12 was the first AR I ever built (first AR I ever owned as well)
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:41:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#45]

View Quote

Cheap Sinclair mag well block, geissele reaction rod/magpul bev block, armorer's wrench, vice and 15 minutes of your day/couple minutes throughout the week. (Just try not to launch your springs across the fuckin room)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

Cheap Sinclair mag well block, geissele reaction rod/magpul bev block, armorer's wrench, vice and 15 minutes of your day/couple minutes throughout the week. (Just try not to launch your springs across the fuckin room)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/488238/you-can-do-it_jpg-1664739.JPG
View Quote

This!

First complete AR project with my first upper build was a MK12 Mod 0 clone-ish build that had an accuracy beyond my wildest dreams.

Find an stripped upper and go from there.  Its much easier.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#47]
What is the going rate for a Leupold Mk 4 67925 these days?
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Markius-Fox:
Deposit paid to HCS for a Mod.0, Kev said he ought to get the critical parts needed to start the build in a week.

Now I just need to track down the KAC 97027 sling adapter (or a correct alternate?), a good price on #22M rings, and a scope (is Leupold 67925 correct? nevermind, dug a little more). I might have a contact to get the latter most done though.
View Quote
I have #22Ms with the stops. What have you got to horse-trade?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#49]

I'm looking for someone to both deconstruct an upper while not damaging the parts and then hopefully rebuilding said upper with correct parts.
View All Quotes

DIY

ADCO would be my recommendation. I'm sure there are plenty of others, but ADCO has done a couple builds for me in the past (one of them a Holland) from parts I mailed them and they did excellent work.

They definitely know Mk12 stuff.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I will have separation anxiety, however my tubes up... https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/PRI-Mk12-Mod-0-Handguard-modified-for-clone-points-/159-2062256/
Page / 1177
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top