Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2010 4:20:16 AM EDT
I heard that LaRue Tactical doesn't have M4 feedramps. I've read that M4 feedramps greatly increase reliability. Should I really be all that concerned about it, or will I be fine with Pmags in the LaRue?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I heard that LaRue Tactical doesn't have M4 feedramps. I've read that M4 feedramps greatly increase reliability. Should I really be all that concerned about it, or will I be fine with Pmags in the LaRue?
Thanks

In prehistoric times  there was Mil-Spec now there is Texas-Spec

You should be just fine with Pmags in your La Rue....nice guns btw
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
You will get pros and cons on this subject.  From what I have read, they aren't necessary on semi auto rifles.  Mine doesn't have them and I haven't had one failure to feed in 1300 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Hasn't been an issue on either of mine so far, nor was it on a former one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
See that button up there that says Search?  Give it a try some time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quality mags are more important than M4 feed ramps for feeding reliability. That said, they do help. The only time you'll have serious problems is if there's no m4 ramps on the barrel extension and there *are* m4 ramps on the upper receiver, this will cause lots of feeding issues... That definitely is not something LaRue would ever do though. That's usually only a problem on lower tier rifles and incorrectly built home projects.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a LaRue upper that has been 100% reliable after I replaced the weak extractor spring it came with, i only use pmags.  To be honest I didn't even realize that the upper didn't have the ramps, I will look when i get home.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]
For 5.56 rifles you usually don't need them. If you go to a bigger bullet like the 6.8 spc they are needed.

Some will argue the m4 feedramps were added to help well worn rifles that were past the point where parts should have been replaced. For semi-auto you should be fine without them. You shouldn't really need them for full-auto. Kinda of a more safe then sorry setup.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had a few bad magazines that only worked well in ARs with M4 ramps.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#9]
My 6.8 has never had them and it works fine. The M16, A1, A2 did fine without them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had a number of non-M4 ramped rifles that worked fine. And I have had a number without M4 ramps that did not work fine. On 18-20" precision rifles I don't think they're necessary, but I also think that they don't hurt - as they're purported to by some.

If M4 ramps weren't important to this rifle's function, this wouldn't have happened:

Quoted:

My 6.8 has never had them and it works fine. The M16, A1, A2 did fine without them.

6.8s SHOULD have M4 feed ramps. Several companies make them without. They ignore the fact that .277 is not .224.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunter had a habit of catching the lead tip on non-M4 feed ramp rifles and bending all to hell in some 6.8 rifles.

On the whole, I'd rather have them than not.

Your 6.8 a Stag?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#12]
The m4 feedramps were designed.for.the faster bolt velocity of the shorter barrel m4.  They assist feeding.  

I prefer them on all rifles if possible.  They are not necessary.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#13]
In my oppinion its normally an out of spec magazine issue if you need M4 ramps. On the other hand they don't hurt anything and for most applications I prefer them. IIRC Larue doesn't use them because he felt they were unneeded and the steeper ramp of the M4 profile could possibly degrade some accuracy when using match rounds. (due to bullet deformation)

6.8 is different and its more important to have the ramps, on the other hand my buddies model 1 6.8 kit with no m4 feed ramps hasn't failed yet.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top