Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2010 5:49:11 AM EDT
Are they gtg for SHTF? or stick with chrome lined?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The material is less important than who machined it and to what specifications the work was done.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't hesitate to use a quality SS barrel like a Noveske or something along those lines on a SHTF rifle .... stainless will be more accurate than chrome lined but won't last as long.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I know bcm has the best but it is 16 inches w/o a flash hider. And believe it or not, that's a big deal to me. That's why I was looking at rainier arms site and they have white oak and rainier barrels at 14.5 then I'll add a brakeout. Is there really a measurable difference in quality between those two barrels and the bcm?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know bcm has the best but it is 16 inches w/o a flash hider. And believe it or not, that's a big deal to me. That's why I was looking at rainier arms site and they have white oak and rainier barrels at 14.5 then I'll add a brakeout. Is there really a measurable difference in quality between those two barrels and the bcm?

Not sure that BCM is the "best", how do you "know" that?

If you want a 14.5" SS barrel and don't mind spending some dough, get a Noveske.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want a 14.5" SS barrel and don't mind spending some dough, get a Noveske.

+1 - I'll stack my Afghan up against any BCM SS barrel...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 - I'll stack my Afghan up against any BCM SS barrel...

That's a really bold statement, although I can understand that owning Noveske equipment can give you that level of confidence in what you have.  The fact of the matter is that searching for the "best" is a futile effort.  If you do some reading up on the guys that do a lot of shooting long distance matches, most of the them are shooting White Oak barrels.  Does that mean that White Oak is the best?  I don't think so.  I think it means that White Oak are good barrels and they are cheap, relatively speaking.   There's  a lot of good barrels out there.  White Oak, BCM, Noveske, Ranier, etc.  You'll likely be satisfied with any one of them and there's no reason why you shouldn't be.

Out where I shoot, the "standard" load is a 77gr SMK over 24gr of Re15 or Varget.  There is a variety of equipment out there and non really stand head and shoulders above the others.  What has mattered is the shooter and I think that will have more to do with good shooting that what barrel you chose.

I chose the BCM barrel for a few reasons.  It was cheaper than the competition and it is made of 410 stainless.  It should theoretically last longer and be more corrosion resistant.  It's also accurate and stays consistent when it heats up.

The only reason I'd go with a stainless barrel is if precison accuracy is of importance.  If all you need is a rifle that will shoot around MOA, I'd just get some flavor of hammer forged chrome lined barrel from either Daniel Defense or BCM.

Of course, with all of the yammering I did, I realized that you are looking for a 14.5" barrel.  As far as I know, BCM doesn't have a 14.5" stainless barrel.  How much money are you looking to spend?  You could just get the Pac Nor (Noveske) and KNOW that you got good (arguably the best) equipment.  If you want to save a little, I certainly wouldn't consider a Ranier to be a compromise.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree accuracy has to do more with the shooter than the gun, I have a YHM 16 inch on my SHTF rifle and its a monster, very accurate and runs like a scalded dog
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Can someone please tell me what STHF stands for, when  I go here it doesn't show up,  thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can someone please tell me what STHF stands for, when  I go here it doesn't show up,  thanks.

Shit Hits The Fan
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are they gtg for STHF? or stick with chrome lined?

I was refering to the original question, or is that what he was saying but just misspelled it, not sure.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:55:47 AM EDT
[#11]
yup fucked up sorry. edited
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I only used chrome lined on M4/carbines

But after seeing  several SS carbines,  I would go SS !

My Friend HATED the groups his DD M4 gave  5MOA with good ammo

He added a LILA M4 ss barrel and that baby is  a shooter
It will hold 1MOA and under with several types of ammo
and runs great

I wish I had the money for one myself
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dont even worry about it
There are jerks that love to try to find tiny little things wrong
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wouldn't hesitate to use a quality SS barrel like a Noveske or something along those lines on a SHTF rifle .... stainless will be more accurate than chrome lined but won't last as long.

Didnt BIGBORE do a write up on a SS barrel
Its a good read

After close to 3000rds my barrel isnt shooting as tight as it was
14.5 LMT

Still plenty enough for SHTF since Im a civi

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You hate 16.1 inch barrels
So do I
I rather go 10.5 to 14.5 carbine and 20inch rifle

Could go have adco cut down a BCM barrel
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont even worry about it
There are jerks that love to try to find tiny little things wrong

LOL,  I was totally NOT trying to be a jerk, I was trying to learn something new, sorry if it sounded that way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You hate 16.1 inch barrels
So do I
I rather go 10.5 to 14.5 carbine and 20inch rifle

Could go have adco cut down a BCM barrel

By the time he pays for the work he may as well just buy a 14.5" Noveske barrel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Lothar Walther LW50 barrel with NiB m4 extension claims up to 48k rd life, thats more than I've heard for just about any Chrome lined barrel
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top