Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2010 12:11:16 AM EDT
I'd like you more experienced guys to help me decode (or un-real estate agnet.... for lack of a better description) this thing.

While picking through it - this is from PK firearms. I hear they are good and reputable, but what would I know. I'll call them and ask for sure, but similar sales tactics (if they exist here) are likely used all over.

Daniel Defense Mid-Length Upper and Hammer Forged Barrel With NEW OMEGA X Rail - 9.0 Daniel Defense 16" Hammer Forged Barrel mid length gas system. Manufactured from ordnance-grade 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium alloy steel for exceptional strength, and magnetic particle inspected (MPI) to ensure there are no internal flaws in the metal. Chrome lined bore and chamber 1/7 twist. A3 flat top receiver and barrel extension is M4 Ramped. A2 flash hider and “F” marked front sight tower. Complete with midlength forend, forged charging handle and bolt assembly.With the NEW Daniel Defense Omega X 9.0 rail and 3 ladder rail covers.
Includes M16 Bolt Group Assembly with MP tested Bolt and Forged Charging Handle.
These are assembled and test fired by PK Firearms.

To pick it apart, this is what I think I see....

Daniel Defense Mid-Length Upper and Hammer Forged Barrel With NEW OMEGA X Rail - 9.0
OK, so this thing should have a DD upper, and a OMEGA9X.

Daniel Defense 16" Hammer Forged Barrel mid length gas system. Manufactured from ordnance-grade 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium alloy steel for exceptional strength, and magnetic particle inspected (MPI) to ensure there are no internal flaws in the metal. Chrome lined bore and chamber 1/7 twist
Sounds good to me. It is a middy daniel decent quality barrel - happy so far.

. A3 flat top receiver and barrel extension is M4 Ramped.
Just more description I guess - they already stated it is a DD.

A2 flash hider and
Could be any shit brand, but I guess if the color matches OK, it will be OK.

“F” marked front sight tower. Complete with midlength forend,
Yeah yeah - more stuff we already know, but OK

forged charging handle and bolt assembly.
well that is what DD uses, but they do not mention DD so it could be garbage for all I know.

Includes M16 Bolt Group Assembly with MP tested Bolt and Forged Charging Handle.
Mmmmhmmm, but the only one like this they sell is a DPMS (i think) - and the only DD they sell is an ar-15 version. It would be nice to know if they are likely mixing and matching stuff to save, or is it likely all DD matching hardware?

These are assembled and test fired by PK Firearms.
I hope this is a good thing....

So am I ok just trusting these guys? If the seller had no reputation, should a person expect to find that they tossed in parts from the pile instead of the [insert your brand] bin?

I don't wear tinfoil hats often, but when buying on the internet - I double it up and tuck in the corners.

thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:48:50 AM EDT
Well this may get long winded and possibly make no sense to some but oh well...
It has been my experience that if you want something....then buy it...from those that make it.....When I bought my AR-10...it took me six months of research to decide on the one I wanted....ArmaLite...I was looking at KAC DPMS and RRA as well as a few others....again I went with ArmaLite...when I went to buy my last rifle I did the same...did the research....had a lot of people/friends tell me stag...BM....colt..NOT....and a few others.......even to look at a few companies like the one you are looking at.....OK my point...
Buy a rifle that is completely done by the company and backed by them.....Such as most of the ones I mentioned....if you want the other parts...then start with a base rifle and build it with the parts you want....most companies will build it for you....Most....I have seen guys buy rifles like the one you are describing and had nothing but problems and sent it back several times....just because the parts don't match up with the other parts by the manufacturers....If you want a custom gun and don't want to build it yourself...there are many well known companies out there that do that...it will cost though......Point I am trying to make....for me personally....how can you trust a rifle that is built from all these other parts by a company that does just that....and does not have the reputation of building custom guns....GAP is just one company you could trust.....IMHO...for what it is worth....just buy it from a manufacturer that makes something of their own...and uses quality parts form associated companies....You will be better off and much happier....just my .25 worth...
SASS
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:54:41 AM EDT
I dont know what to say. All I know is the things I have bought from them have always been shipped very fast. I'd definetly call them and ask'em about it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:25:29 AM EDT
PK has a good reputation on this board. If it were me I would call them on these questions you have. It sound like they are using all the right parts .as far as the charging handle even if it is DPMS I think it would be gtg and if the bcg is mp tested and fa I doubt it is a DPMS. If it were me I would be shopping around though as there are some very good deals to be had at this time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:46:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SASS:
It has been my experience that if you want something....then buy it...from those that make it.....When I bought my AR-10...it took me six months of research to decide on the one I wanted....ArmaLite...I was looking at KAC DPMS and RRA as well as a few others....again I went with ArmaLite...when I went to buy my last rifle I did the same...did the research....had a lot of people/friends tell me stag...BM....colt..NOT....and a few others.......even to look at a few companies like the one you are looking at.....OK my point...
Buy a rifle that is completely done by the company and backed by them.....Such as most of the ones I mentioned....if you want the other parts...then start with a base rifle and build it with the parts you want....most companies will build it for you....Most....I have seen guys buy rifles like the one you are describing and had nothing but problems and sent it back several times....just because the parts don't match up with the other parts by the manufacturers....If you want a custom gun and don't want to build it yourself...there are many well known companies out there that do that...it will cost though......Point I am trying to make....for me personally....how can you trust a rifle that is built from all these other parts by a company that does just that....and does not have the reputation of building custom guns....GAP is just one company you could trust.....IMHO...for what it is worth....just buy it from a manufacturer that makes something of their own...and uses quality parts form associated companies....You will be better off and much happier....just my .25 worth...
SASS

Really? I would say the majority of the people on this board at least put an upper on a lower as opposed to buying a complete rifle. And I would say that the majority of those people don't run into a single problem with "parts (that) don't match up with the other parts by the manufacturers". If you are buying your components from reputable manufacturers that are following mil spec then there shouldn't be issue. That's kind of the point of following the spec in the first place.

Now all that assumes that you know that you are dealing with reputable sources.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:23:23 AM EDT
PK is a great company with a fine and untarnished reputation here on the board. I have bought from them several times and will so again, several more times I am sure. I do so because they are honest and reliable. buy from them in confidence and have no worries....<><....:)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:29:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MSPRet:
PK is a great company with a fine and untarnished reputation here on the board. I have bought from them several times and will so again, several more times I am sure. I do so because they are honest and reliable. buy from them in confidence and have no worries....<><....:)

+1
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:54:05 AM EDT
+1 Ordered a mid length barrel from them. Requested they ship without front sight- gas block so I could install a free float rail. They did so at no cost to me and shipped very quickly. I called and talked to them and they were very nice to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:19:26 AM EDT
PK has always done me right. I personally wouldn't be concerned. Sounds like your concerns revolve around the BCG mostly. I'd just give them a call and find out the specifics on the BCG if it eases your mind a bit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:33:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 9:36:06 AM EDT by Gun_Fanatic]
I keep hearing it is a good company. I'm glad to hear that. Just so you know, I am not a brand snob, but I do purchase some things based on reputation. I have a Warn winch on my truck - not beacuse all the cool kids do it - but because they just work and the company is reputable. The same holds true for me with guns also.

I'll be building the lower half. This is my first build, and my first time sifting through all the opinoins/sales ads/hype/honest to goodness awesome advice - and playing fact or crap with it. Being my first time with an AR, I think I'd like to assemble the lower and avoid seating the barrel this time. Next time I'll build all of it. I have spent a considerable amount of time searching and reading, but at some point you have to say f-it and start clicking the "buy it now" buttons. I have done so in a somewhat educated manner and I think this will work out fine. As you can tell, I haven't bought an upper yet, but here is the list.

The upper described here -$790 - cannot find anything quite the same, though bravo company has something similar. Even pieced together I can't touch it for that price.
Spikes lower
DD LPK
Magpul ctr Mil-spec
A few P-mags
DPMS carry handle

So why a carry handle on a railed AR? I'd like to have a nice iron sight so it does not feel inferior next to my AK's until I can afford some glass. At that point it will be some decent optic and a BUIS. Short answer is that is going together in stages. May use it on a KISS ar later.

But this isn't a critique my build thread (feel free to though). It is about sales tactics and foil hats. It sounds like (with PKF anyway) I can take the foil hat off and go wrap the chicken back up before it spoils (I'll still call though).

I appreciate all the responses and views, I'm just a little bit crazy on the what you see is what you get thing. When they say "complete DD upper assembly", every bit of that stuff should have come from DD. We'll see. Sounds like they are great to deal with and even if it isn't 100% DD, it will be good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:37:41 AM EDT
I'd agree that PK is a good vendor but I also will say I wish all vendors could be more specific and descriptive of the items they sell.

I can't stress enough how helpful it would be to me to know dimensions, weights, and such when I seek things to buy. Is it just me? Or is a low price the only criteria for both buyers and sellers?

Manufacturers many times are lax with the details as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:05:15 AM EDT
I have several PK uppers. You should buy it and shoot it not obsess about the minutia. If it doesn't work they will fix it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:25:40 AM EDT
I have been satisfied dealing with PK. There was a discrepancy on one order, I sent an email and called explaining my interpretation of their listing, it was an honest mistake on both our parts. They corrected that situation and I will continue doing business with them. It's how companies handle themselves after a problem that impresses me, 'cause they are all going to have problems at some point.
Ask them your specific questions and deal with them knowing they do most things right.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:05:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By edlsen:
Originally Posted By SASS:
SASS

Really? I would say the majority of the people on this board at least put an upper on a lower as opposed to buying a complete rifle. And I would say that the majority of those people don't run into a single problem with "parts (that) don't match up with the other parts by the manufacturers". If you are buying your components from reputable manufacturers that are following mil spec then there shouldn't be issue. That's kind of the point of following the spec in the first place.

Now all that assumes that you know that you are dealing with reputable sources.

My apologizes I am not familiar with that company...I merely was speaking of my own personal preference....and he did ask for input...i meant no disrespect for that particular company...I prefer to have complete rifles just for warranty purposes and serviceability, again I meant no offense......SASS
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:17:24 AM EDT
You may want to reconsider the DPMS carry handle. I don't believe it is mil-spec. The F-marked FSB won't match up with it as well. You may want to consider a BCM carry handle instead. Just my $0.02
Top Top