User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 85
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:

That would look kick-ass with a Sully stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:
Originally Posted By mcculver5:
PSA wore me down and I ordered one of those mid-length faux dissipator uppers.

Is it wrong that the main reason I wanted one is because I had this old surefire light/handguard and I wanted to recapture those late 90s aesthetics?

Anyway, here she is.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60042/20220111_200900-2237453.jpg

Think I may go with a carry handle sight instead of the LMT.

It all looks straight and seems tight.  Will sight in this weekend.

That would look kick-ass with a Sully stock.

Embarrassingly, I had to look that up.

Result?  I agree though they appear to be unobtanium at the moment.  

Related, I'm a cheap jerk (ergo the PSA upper) so I wouldn't pay collector prices for one.  

Sighted it in this weekend and did ok. Alas, my 53 year old eyes see the front sight as a fuzzy blob.

Can I smack the plates at 100, 200, and 300 yards?  Sure. Can I get good groups?  Nope.  Not with irons.  

So, what say you my invisible friends?

Eothingy?  Some sort of optic?  I'd love to hear what you think would look good on the dissy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:58:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcculver5] [#2]
Not sure what happened.... going to blame it on 5g.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Nice!  

Need the details: and how do you like that stock?
View Quote

Thanks!

PSA mid-length faux dissipator upper with P&S RAS, PSA Snek lower, MBT, BG18 grip and Midwest Industries BUIS are the basics.

I really like the stock, it has a nice cheek weld but still feels fairly slim like a Mod 0 would.  I only have a couple BCM stocks now but I've become a fan.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:56:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#4]

Sighted it in this weekend and did ok. Alas, my 53 year old eyes see the front sight as a fuzzy blob.
View Quote
Are you near or farsighted? Do you wear correction?

Sounds like a 0.050" aperture and slight reader glasses may help bring the focus closer towards the post without much target clarity sacrifice.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Competition-Shooting/Service-rifle-looking-for-rear-sight-apertures/3-2704/?page=1&anc=19535#i19523
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

Sounds like a 0.050" aperture and slight reader glasses may help bring the focus closer towards the post without much target clarity sacrifice.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Competition-Shooting/Service-rifle-looking-for-rear-sight-apertures/3-2704/?page=1&anc=19535#i19523
View All Quotes

Farsighted.  I wear readers when working and bifocals when driving so I can read the gauge cluster.  My long range vision remains very, very good.

With LPVOS, holographic sights, prism sights and RDSs on pistols I have solved the problem as I am able to shoot with both eyes open and remain target focused.

I have not tried shooting with the readers because I would like to pick up a firearm and shoot it uncorrected.  I understand this is an emotional hang-up and probably says more about me than I would like.  

You are correct that may solve the problem and one of my carry-handle sights has NM small apertures from my halcyon days of youth.  But, I can't make myself do it.  

Also, if I shoot with the readers I could see the sights, but then couldn't see the target with any clarity.  A dilemma.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Dissys are my favorite non-clone config.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/66817258-EAEE-47A2-AA52-E3F56A6E38BE_zpsrlop6q0g-431503.JPG
View Quote

So you wanna post some more pictures of the fde one?? Thing is sick
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy:
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Dissys are my favorite non-clone config.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/66817258-EAEE-47A2-AA52-E3F56A6E38BE_zpsrlop6q0g-431503.JPG

I'll have to dig it out sometime. The ACOG is no longer on it though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking for some ideas for mine, it's currently sitting in MOE furniture but I'm not happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Might be a reach to qualify as a dissy, but it’s a double gas block 16 incher
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]
New images of the Dissy collection (to bump the thread):

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dingo-Dog:
I was tired of waiting on BCM to stock their Kino upper so I had one made

So here’s my Mini Mock Dissipator Build. Carbine gas FSB at Midlength

https://i.imgur.com/UVMYFpW_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote

Wow!  I'm just finishing up a creedmore build and was going to be done for awhile, but I am going to have to build one of these (as a pistol intially).  Where did you find the barrel to fit the FSB out at the end?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, BCM Kino uppers were in stock recently.  I ordered one but forgot to let anyone know they were available.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Once upon a time I thought the dissipator was stupid....now almost all my rifles are effectively dissys .
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I like the look of the Dissipater with a M5 RAS, I think I'm going to set mine up similar.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Once upon a time I thought the dissipator was stupid....now almost all my rifles are effectively dissys .
View Quote

My thinking is this: "If you're going to shoot irons, why not maximize your sight radius?".  For my workhorse guns, I prefer a pinned FSB so it just makes sense to pin it out at the end.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Good looking working rifle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:

I like the look of the Dissipater with a M5 RAS, I think I'm going to set mine up similar.
View All Quotes

Good looking working rifle.

Thank you, kindly. Looking forward to sighting it in.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Hwk-I-St8:

My thinking is this: "If you're going to shoot irons, why not maximize your sight radius?".  For my workhorse guns, I prefer a pinned FSB so it just makes sense to pin it out at the end.
View Quote

Gonna do a 20" dissy+?
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:48:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: packinheavy] [#20]
I just swapped the A2 length buttstock on my LE trade in Bushmaster Dissipator for a A1 length version and found the receipt for my original purchase in the trapdoor storage compartment.

I had forgotten how cheap the non tacticool fixed carry handle guns were for a while.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Gonna do a 20" dissy+?
View Quote

Nah, might as well go straight to a 26"....really get that FSB out there!

Seriously though, no interest in a 20".  I prefer the shorter, more manageable 16", but within that spec, a dissy makes the most sense.  I do find it interesting that some poeple build a dissy and then put a red dot or some other alternative sighting mechanism on it?  That kinda defeats the purpose of a dissy IMO.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Threw an Aimpoint on there and I’m enjoying it so I think it’s going to stay.

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#23]
You guys have any trouble getting the M5 RAS to fit without having to modify or remove any material?
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#24]
All I had to do was remove the screw PSA uses to retain the cap and replace with a section of spare gas tube I cut.

No mods to the M5 itself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 1:53:53 AM EDT
[#25]
P&S M5 RAS dropped right in on both my PSA CHF upper and GMP upper.  I didn't even have to remove the handguard retainer screw from the PSA upper.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]
My dissipator clones
Colt 605 , Bushmaster XM15- ES2 , FN M16A4 Carbine and DPMS LR-308 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice!  And that DPMS .308 is giving me ideas.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
View Quote
I like it. It's a clone of what a early DPMS could have been. Mid-length gas system.   Super loud and big fire balls. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I dig it.  Dissipator all the things!

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:50:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J_taylor] [#31]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:

I love the 605 and the LR-308.

Did you use Kona Brown on the 308?
View Quote
Thanks Mike. I did use Kona Brown.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Anybody feel like helping me decide on a barrel for a dissipator build? I really don't want to search through all 79 pages b/c I'm lazy. I was pretty much set on going with a Centurion mid weight but have been having second thoughts b/c

A) I just missed a damn sale and could have saved $75 and it just really pisses me off. I'd never even heard of Centurion before coming across someone recommending them in a thread on here so I wasted all kinds of time looking for in stock Criterions and trying to figure out how the hell to order a Lothar Walther and if I had found out sooner I could have got the barrel for $215 instead of $300. It's bullshit.

B). It might be too heavy since it's technically an HBAR and I'm wanting this build to be fairly light weight. That's the whole reason I didn't just go w/ PSA or Delton from the get go (before I really got into researching barrels). I'm kind of wondering if there's any way I could use a fluted barrel? I was wanting to go with Centurion light weight profile originally but they reccommend the medium.

C). I'm a total poseur and while I know Centurion is highly recommended I will never shoot the barrel out so I just don't know if I even need that level of quality for this particular build. It might be better to go with SOLGW and save $125 and then buy a 12.5 Centurion and do a Kino build or whatever BCM calls the 12.5 Dissipator. I've just got so much shit to buy it's not even funny. I know worrying about $125 diff probably makes me sound like a poor or whatever but I'm just trying to do a lot of stuff at once but at the same time I can def afford the Centurion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#34]
You guys have any trouble getting the M5 RAS to fit without having to modify or remove any material?
View Quote

Not on this one, no mods.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Strela:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/605A_jpeg-2331344.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Strela:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/605A_jpeg-2331344.JPG

I really like the A1 CH and Proto SR, that looks pretty slick! I have a M5 RAS on the way for my factory Bushy A2 Dissipater and was worried the carbine GB would cause fitment issues.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Like he said, no mods needed.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#38]

I've seen you post one of those before, and if I remember, it's cut and threaded with rifle length gas/FSB and no port enlargement?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#39]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
No, they’re both mid gas, must of been somebody else’s.
View Quote

I must have mis-remembered. Thanks, and they are nice. Can't wait for the H&R.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:29:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: packinheavy] [#42]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

PSA 16” carbine length Dissipator upper came in recently. I’m really digging this setup. I have a flashlight mount on the way. Just need a rear sight and a sling attachment point for the handguard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 4:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#44]
This is my early 2000's J&G/Doublestar Dissipator upper on the first AR lower (LRB) that I built from scratch. FSB at rifle position, low-profile aluminum gas block at the carbine position. Heavy profile 1:9 barrel.  A.R.M.S. Swan rail for the backup Comp M2.   Modified Commie-sticker is rock solid and pointy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I recently ordered a Spinta Dissipator barrel that I intend to swap out on it just for shits and giggles. I called and spoke with them about some details. It's a hybrid barrel contour - heavier than their discontinued lightweight Dissipator barrel (he said that they had problems with those heating up too fast) but lighter than a conventional heavy barrel. The gas port is opened up to 0.115" for reliability (rifle position, so FSB will be functional). The guy told me that it should cycle fine with my current rifle buffer using full-power ammo, but that folks who handroll lighter loads sometimes need to run carbine buffers.

I plant to send it to ADCO to have the FSB drilled and pinned, unless someone has a preferable alternative to suggest.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 1:34:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By flcracker:
I recently ordered a Spinta Dissipator barrel that I intend to swap out on it just for shits and giggles. I called and spoke with them about some details. It's a hybrid barrel contour - heavier than their discontinued lightweight Dissipator barrel (he said that they had problems with those heating up too fast) but lighter than a conventional heavy barrel. The gas port is opened up to 0.115" for reliability (rifle position, so FSB will be functional). The guy told me that it should cycle fine with my current rifle buffer using full-power ammo, but that folks who handroll lighter loads sometimes need to run carbine buffers.

I plant to send it to ADCO to have the FSB drilled and pinned, unless someone has a preferable alternative to suggest.
View Quote

I had ADCO pin the FSB on my Spinta barrel, and would do it again without hesitation.

I'm using an H3 buffer and a Tubb flatwire spring with the Spinta upper, and it runs like a top with cheap practice ammo.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#46]
What is this glorious handguard?

Originally Posted By Hwk-I-St8:
New images of the Dissy collection (to bump the thread):

https://i.imgur.com/97FB9I0.jpg?1
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By packinheavy:
View Quote

Had the same thought and have those handguards squirreled away.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By FDEinAZ:
Threw an Aimpoint on there and I’m enjoying it so I think it’s going to stay.

https://i.postimg.cc/PrSZK2g8/Dissy_Edit.png
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:39:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Figured I'd wait until after I've left N.Y. before I throw this up on here:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:56:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#50]
Dissipaters look so good with a M5 RAS, I just wish they were more available. Seems like they suddenly dried up and doubled in price overnight, more so than the M4 RAS.
Page / 85
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top