Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 85
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Random question for the original Spikes GMP Dissipator owners.  How did they attach the front handguard cap to the FSB?
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Finally got my KISS Dissy done.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
Mine has a socket head screw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JF12:
Random question for the original Spikes GMP Dissipator owners.  How did they attach the front handguard cap to the FSB?
Same. 1/4-20 IIRC
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Same. 1/4-20 IIRC
Thank you all!
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
My humble submission. PSA 300blk Dissy barrel, Aero M4E1 Enhanced upper and 12" Quantum rail, Aero M4E1 lower, MBT Trigger. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. Sorry for the low quality pic.

https://flic.kr/p/2g1QJFH
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Here’s my contribution
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#8]
psa has chf dissipator uppers in stock.  fyi
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 5:48:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ed_Victory] [#9]
Originally Posted By hamdizle:
psa has chf dissipator uppers in stock.  fyi
View Quote
I’m about to buy one of their nitride mid-lengths, anyone know what size roll pin I’ll need to unfuck their endcap-FSB mounting? I’ll be installing a KAC RAS.

Not sure why they don’t use a roll pin vs. that massive screw in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
AIM/Spikes GMP upper on a BCM lower.  Cav Arms A1 stock, Umbrella Corp/B5 grip, and RAS M5 up front.  H1 sight and a cut down carry handle rear.  Linear comp on the front end and a Proctor sling.  The RAS is a bit chunky, but the barrel profile helps.  Weighs in at 9.4lbs with a loaded 30 round mag.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ed_Victory:

I’m about to buy one of their nitride mid-lengths, anyone know what size roll pin I’ll need to unfuck their endcap-FSB mounting? I’ll be installing a KAC RAS.

Not sure why they don’t use a roll pin vs. that massive screw in the first place.
View Quote
Keep in mind that they have threaded the hole, so a roll pin or gas tube probably won't fit now.
I used to use a roll pin, I just measured it and I think I had to drill the holes out just a little to fit a standard size roll pin. Now I just use a cut off gas tube. Honestly you probably don't even need anything. The RAS is attached to the barrel nut for anti-rotation and the cap really isn't going anywhere with the handguard on.

It's pretty dumb using a screw. They should have just used a stub of a gas tube.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mrbieler:
AIM/Spikes GMP upper on a BCM lower.  Cav Arms A1 stock, Umbrella Corp/B5 grip, and RAS M5 up front.  H1 sight and a cut down carry handle rear.  Linear comp on the front end and a Proctor sling.  The RAS is a bit chunky, but the barrel profile helps.  Weighs in at 9.4lbs with a loaded 30 round mag.
https://i.imgur.com/M2ojYi6h.jpg
View Quote
Dang, I wish Spikes still made the GMP upper.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:34:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spin180] [#13]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By AASG:
Keep in mind that they have threaded the hole, so a roll pin or gas tube probably won't fit now.
I used to use a roll pin, I just measured it and I think I had to drill the holes out just a little to fit a standard size roll pin. Now I just use a cut off gas tube. Honestly you probably don't even need anything. The RAS is attached to the barrel nut for anti-rotation and the cap really isn't going anywhere with the handguard on.

It's pretty dumb using a screw. They should have just used a stub of a gas tube.
The RAS fits fine on my CHF upper.  Does the nitride upper use a different screw?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By mrbieler:
https://i.imgur.com/M2ojYi6h.jpg
View Quote
Very nice!

Link Posted: 6/17/2019 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 4:06:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ed_Victory] [#16]
Originally Posted By spinr:
The RAS fits fine on my CHF upper.  Does the nitride upper use a different screw?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/121158/20190617_070715_jpg-982442.JPG
View Quote
Is that a late or early RAS? I have an early Vero RAS with the flatter spring tab, maybe it’ll slide in without modification.

Guess I’ll update when my upper arrives.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:30:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Is that a late or early RAS? I have an early Vero RAS with the flatter spring tab, maybe it’ll slide in without modification.

Guess I’ll update when my upper arrives.
View Quote
Mine is newer with the spring that has the u-shaped end.

I'm not sure you'll have to modify anything, but if you do it might be easiest to grind a little material off of the screw.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess i can put this here. This is from Brownells and does have rifle length gas system
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anybody used these foxtrot Mike barrels?
https://www.opticsplanet.com/fm-products-premium-41v50-5-56-ar-barrel.html?_iv_code=3JR-BRI-P556AB-FM-556-16BRL
Wondering if the gas block journal is long enough for a FSB?
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By balloo93:
Here's one on the EE right now 12 Omega  The price is a little high, but it's a great rail

https://i.imgur.com/lhh3qco.jpg?1
View All Quotes

Looks good!  I need to track me down one of those DD Omegas at some point.
Here's one on the EE right now 12 Omega  The price is a little high, but it's a great rail

https://i.imgur.com/lhh3qco.jpg?1
Random question.  What comp/FH are you using.  I dig it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Random question.  What comp/FH are you using.  I dig it.
View Quote
Spike's tactical Dynacomp.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 4:55:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Johhnyrotten:
I guess i can put this here. This is from Brownells and does have rifle length gas system https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/496960/IMG_1333-987781.jpg
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess i can put this here. This is from Brownells and does have rifle length gas system https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/496960/IMG_1333-987781.jpg
View Quote
That's an awesome looker.  I know they used 15.5" for historical accuracy, but if they had gone to 16" and not pinned the flash hider I don't think they'd be able to build them fast enough.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Spike's tactical Dynacomp.
View Quote
Thank You!
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Finally complete I think, Cav A1 stock arrived last week, hit the range a few days and love shooting this thing!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AASG:
Has anybody used these foxtrot Mike barrels?
https://www.opticsplanet.com/fm-products-premium-41v50-5-56-ar-barrel.html?_iv_code=3JR-BRI-P556AB-FM-556-16BRL
Wondering if the gas block journal is long enough for a FSB?
View Quote
I will have an answer for you in a few days. It certainly looks like it is, and I sure hope so, or it really isn't going to do me a lot of good.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#27]
FOXTROT MIKE PRODUCTS  wrote:

Yes that will work.

Hi- Is the journal on the 16" rifle gas long enough to install a forged FSB?
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By patswin3:
Finally complete I think, Cav A1 stock arrived last week, hit the range a few days and love shooting this thing!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82995/18B7D43C-2092-43B7-8D18-E5D61E000921_jpeg-1016640.JPG
View Quote
Beautiful! Love the OD furniture.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Retroish Dissy

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I think I forgot to post updated Proto-dissy with new A1 length stock.

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Love my Spikes midlength dissipator, but I always wanted one with an A1 upper.  Couldn't get the guts to put the spike barrel assembly on a new upper so I decided to build a new one.  Aero lower, A1 upper, Brownells 605 15.5" barrel assembly, and a pinned and welded Griffin Arms Linear Comp to make it California featureless when it's all said and done.

Won't have time until the middle of next week to try this out.

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 3:18:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hojo15] [#33]
I started with a PSA mock Dissipator because I like the mid length gas system. I decided to give it a modern/retro look, I call it my 605A4gery.

-Upper: PSA 16" 5.56 NATO 1/7 Dissipator, 4150v, Mid Length"-Lower: Ruger AR556
-LPK: Tatical Superiority
-FCG: PSA Mil-spec, round hammer
-BCG: PSA, Prem, F/A, w/O-ring, Logo
-C/H: PSA Prem., 7075-T6
-Grip: BCM Gunfighter mod 3
-Handguard: Brownells A1 triangle
-Stock: Cavalry mfg C1, rifle tube, spring & buffer
-Carry Handle: Colt, Mil-Spec, F marked FSB
-Muzzle Device: 3 Prong (Fulton Armoury)
-Sling: 1954 MRT M1 ODG
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I finally got my dissipator with the rifle-gas Spinta Precision barrel to the range.  It ran quite well and I'm very happy with how it shoots.

Spinta Precision Dissipator

When I was putting it together, I had some concerns about how the .110 diameter gas port would affect the feel of the gun.  In doing some reading about cycling issues, recoil impulse, and such, I came across a thread here discussing the merits of flat-wire springs and heavy buffers which led me to install a Tubb flat-wire spring and an H3 buffer.  I think that might be the perfect combination for this rifle.  It fired and cycled perfectly through approximately 300 rounds.  I was able to shoot it alongside a 14.5" carbine, 14.5" mid-length, and a 16" mid-length.  As one might expect, there was a noticeable difference compared to the carbine-gas gun. However, I was somewhat surprised in how much difference there was compared to the mid-length guns.  It was much more perceptible than I would've figured.

There was one thing that gave me a bit of pause, and that was how high it shot.  I had to adjust the elevation quite a bit, at least more than I'm used to doing.  I suspect that was just the combination of the 1/8" twist and cheap PMC ammo, though.  Hopefully I can get back to the range to try some different loads relatively soon.

I knew my love for the dissy was strong, but this one has put it on a new level.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 6:42:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mrbieler] [#35]
Finally had some range time with this one.  I decided the A1 forearm was a little too fat at the bottom in my hands so I went back to the slim tapered A2 hand guards.  Three range sessions and a total of 600 rounds, 500 of which were PMC Bronze .223.  I was worried how the 0.1015 port on the Brownells upper would handle the light load.

It's definitely softer and slower functioning then my mid-lengths and carbines, but it tosses the PMC at 4:30 into a neat pile at about 6' and chugs away through slow and rapid fire.  When I loaded Federal XM193, I was getting the empties coming out at about 3:30 with a little more oomph.   A total or 5 misfeeds which I isolated to a bad 10/20 Pmag.  Always the 9th round and the mag had the same failure in other rifles.

All in all, I'm happy with it and it's fun to shoot.  Had my son out clanging steel plates at 100 yards.  Put a big grin on his face.

Link Posted: 8/24/2019 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
One of my favorite designs.
I have a few like this one that I put together over the years.
Most are built with left over retro parts.
It looks clean in design and has a good balance.

Thanks for posting the picture
Ron
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 6:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: richiecotite] [#37]
Changed a few things up. Was rocking the fat oval handguards and carry handle sight.

I call this the Chef's Special.

https://m.imgur.com/a/zaDcBW3
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By richiecotite:
Changed a few things up. Was rocking the fat oval handguards and carry handle sight.

I call this the Chef's Special.

https://m.imgur.com/a/zaDcBW3
https://i.imgur.com/eElWtHF_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
View Quote
Very cool. Nice touch with the killa bees gonna swarm sticker.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 6:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiskey11] [#39]
Hey guys, thought I'd drop in and add my Dissy Photo up!  Rifle is a custom "build":

Anderson Lower
PSA Dissipator Upper
Geissele SSAE
Magpul UBR
Magpul MOE Grip (Both of them :P)
Ground Zero Precision BCG
Strike Industries Extended Latch Charging Handle
Lantac Dragon Comp
KAC M5 RAS
UTG National Match Cut Carry Handle Sight (I know... UTG...)
SIG Romeo 5
Streamlight ProTac Weapon Light

I think I'm going to end up building another Dissy that is more basic (Read: Lighter Weight) to put in the patrol car.  Love the longer sight radius vs a standard 16" barrel AR.  Shoots soft, comp isn't overly oppressive to those around and it just runs well!  I can't complain about this build at all!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
Received my PSA upper, TA31, and KAC M5:

https://i.imgur.com/5m9eA9U.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/GCN48xR.jpg?1

Second photo is just a mock-up with a lower from another rifle. This build still has a ways to go.

I need to pick up the Aero M16A4 lower from my FFL and order a few other things;

- PRI folding FSB
- Matech rear sight
- SOPMOD stock
- Kill flash for the TA31
- Thinking about doing a LaRue LT681
View Quote
@GHOS7

Is that the regular PSA mid gas dissipator or the CHF one in your picture?

Anyone know if all the PSA dissipator uppers are the same barrel contour?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By E4W:

@GHOS7

Is that the regular PSA mid gas dissipator or the CHF one in your picture?

Anyone know if all the PSA dissipator uppers are the same barrel contour?

Thanks!
View Quote
That upper assembly had their nitride barrel
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By E4W:
Thanks!
View Quote
If I remember correctly it was govt. profile.., A2 I think. Someone asked under the product description and PSA answered so it may still be up if you find the upper on their site.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By patswin3:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82995/18B7D43C-2092-43B7-8D18-E5D61E000921_jpeg-1016640.JPG
View Quote
details and weight?
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I was looking for a method to secure the front hg cap to the fsb.  Is there a roll pin or any other ideas.  Now mine is loose and it's ok with the moe hg but upgrading to the M5 Ras and wanted it to be secured.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By speedjunkie:
I was looking for a method to secure the front hg cap to the fsb.  Is there a roll pin or any other ideas.  Now mine is loose and it's ok with the moe hg but upgrading to the M5 Ras and wanted it to be secured.
View Quote
@speedjunkie

Either stick a roll pin into the gas tube hole on the FSB, then mushroom it out so it stays put; OR strip all that shit, tap some threads in the gas tube hole on the FSB and screw the HG cap in place.  I went with the latter on a different build that needed a HG retainer cap but no gas tube at that location and it works GREAT.  But, admittedly, a little bit of work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#47]
thanks.  I will try the easy road first.  See if I have any roll pins lying around.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:07:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Digger440] [#48]
Mega Gator lower with MBT, ambi mag catch
PSA 1/8 Wylde stainless mid-length gas upper
PSA premium NiB BCG
Trijicon front and rear sight inserts
Magpul MOE grip and handguards
Streamlight Poly Tac
SKS or AK green web sling

Link Posted: 10/29/2019 3:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ELPerdido] [#49]
Having waited months for PSA to have the FN CHF chrome lined mid-length dissipator uppers in stock, I finally received the "in stock" email a week ago so I ordered one. Yesterday, the upper arrived. Upper receiver has t-marks, no cant to the sight tower and no visible issues. I assembled the upper to a Spikes lower with a carry handle sight, A2 stock and handguards (all Colt), lubed it up and test fired today. It took 10 shots to zero at 50 yards. Put another 100 rounds of M855 through it. No malfs, no problems. I am impressed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ELPerdido:
Having waited months for PSA to have the FN CHF chrome lined mid-length dissipator uppers in stock, I finally received the "in stock" email a week ago so I ordered one. Yesterday, the upper arrived. Upper receiver has t-marks, no cant to the sight tower and no visible issues. I assembled the upper to a Spikes lower with a carry handle sight, A2 stock and handguards (all Colt), lubed it up and test fired today. It took 10 shots to zero at 50 yards. Put another 100 rounds of M855 through it. No malfs, no problems. I am impressed.
View Quote
Any chance you can post a picture of what your upper looks like with the hand guards removed?
Page / 85
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top