Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jdubya87:

From Gander Mountain?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Naga:
Here's my police trade-in Colt Dissy in all of it's natural A2 glory.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183358/dissy2-111405.JPG

From Gander Mountain?

Nope, got it from CDNN a few years back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is the go to source for dissipator barrel assemblies
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
View Quote

Fin

I got this and had adco re-profile it to a medium contour. I love it and it used to shoot so smooth, until I opened the port so it would shoot wolf.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

I've done two things:

1) bought premium uppers from Palmetto
2) built my own using mid-length barrel, low-pro gas block and FSB.

I've had great luck with both.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone tell me if a Centurion C4 12" rail will drop in a PSA dissipator upper?
Will the cap screw that secures the end cap be a problem?

TIA
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I just ordered one from Windham. M4 profile under the handguards, chrome lined, 4150, right at $230 shipped. Seemed like a good choice.

Guy I spoke to on the phone said they had several in stock.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:25:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cccpNyC] [#8]
Originally Posted By brouhaha:
I have an old Colt 1/7 HBAR that I had ADCO cut down from 20" to 18" years ago.

I've been thinking of cutting it down to 16", re-profiling to something lighter, and making it a dissipator.

I assume the gas port will need to be opened up to allow a 16" rifle length gas system to cycle correctly.

What do you guys recommend for the profile and gas port size?

I'm reading the reliability will be an issue with the rifle length gas on a 16".  Would going to a 16.5" or 17" yield much better reliability?
View Quote

@brouhaha

DelTon 16in rifle gas
Like a fat kid, it eats everything.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Dunno how I missed this thread, but apparently I haven't posted this here.

Proto-style dissy with proto FSB/FS and carry handle charging handle.  

I take zero credit for the build.  John Thomas build from Retro Arms Work.  I'm just the caretaker.  

I would like to exchange the stock with a matching A1 in the future, but whatevah.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:40:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:

I take zero credit for the build.  John Thomas build from Retro Arms Work.  I'm just the caretaker.  

http://imageshack.us/a/img923/2155/jJIv8r.jpg

I would like to exchange the stock with a matching A1 in the future, but whatevah.
View Quote

sexy as is, I like it
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:59:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stitchclimber] [#12]
I've always loved the dissy style so I bought a PSA Freedom Dissipator upper some years ago.  I wish I'd bought the Premium though as I was not impressed with the .750" FSB on a .732" barrel diameter.  Oh well, sure was cheap enough!  It didn't stay stock for but a week.  The black upper looked horrid with the Foliage MOE handguards.

Previous incarnation:

Upper Specs:

MEGA upper factory green anodized
PSA Freedom Dissy Barrel w/ shortened FSB
Cav Arms 3 port comp
Troy Gas Block
AIM Surplus 9310 Melonite BCG w/ POF Roller Cam Pin
Magpul MOE Rifle Length Handguards Foliag
Magpul MOE Scout Light Mount
Streamlight Pro-Tac 2 light
Troy Fixed Rear
Aimpoint Comp M3L in ADM lower 1/3 QD mount
AXTS Raptor charging handle

Lower Specs:

Double Star forged lower in AUG Green
Mega billet trigger w/ lightning hammer and TTI lightweight springs
KNS Quick Change trigger pins
Damage Industries 45* ambi safety
BCM Mod 2 grip in Foliage
BCM Mod 0 stock in Foliage
Colt receiver extension
Carbine buffer and spring
Magpul Gen 2 30 round mag w/ Ranger Plate in Foliage

Current incarnation:

Same specs for the most part but this uses a modified F marked FSB that has been drilled, tapped and had set screws installed plus the obvious rail change to a SMOS SM12, which is just under 12".  I also used is one of my custom made 7075-T6 barrel nuts instead of the heavy factory one to shave almost 2 more ounces off the weight.

I don't have an M-Lok light mount so no light and I had to move the FSB back as it looked funny with the space between it and the rail in the stock location since the SMOS rail is a bit short.

Future plans, should I keep it this way, would be to turn down the barrel to .550" where possible, run a .625" adjustable gas block, .625" Daniel Defense FSB or custom made aluminum FSB and do a 14.5" or shorther pin/weld with a suppressor mount.  Lastly, I'd have the barrel done in Armor Black CeraKote and the SMOS rail and lower in Foliage CeraKote.

I can't remember what the first setup weighed was but it was north of 7.5# which was too heavy.  The current setup is lighter but I need to add back the light at some point.  I love my Comp M3L as I'm faster with it than the T1-type optics.

What say the hive?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By stitchclimber:
I've always loved the dissy style so I bought a PSA Freedom Dissipator upper some years ago.  I wish I'd bought the Premium though as I was not impressed with the .750" FSB on a .732" barrel diameter.  Oh well, sure was cheap enough!  It didn't stay stock for but a week.  The black upper looked horrid with the Foliage MOE handguards.

Previous incarnation:
https://imageshack.com/i/plUxruU8j

Upper Specs:

MEGA upper factory green anodized
PSA Freedom Dissy Barrel w/ shortened FSB
Cav Arms 3 port comp
Troy Gas Block
AIM Surplus 9310 Melonite BCG w/ POF Roller Cam Pin
Magpul MOE Rifle Length Handguards Foliag
Magpul MOE Scout Light Mount
Streamlight Pro-Tac 2 light
Troy Fixed Rear
Aimpoint Comp M3L in ADM lower 1/3 QD mount
AXTS Raptor charging handle

Lower Specs:

Double Star forged lower in AUG Green
Mega billet trigger w/ lightning hammer and TTI lightweight springs
KNS Quick Change trigger pins
Damage Industries 45* ambi safety
BCM Mod 2 grip in Foliage
BCM Mod 0 stock in Foliage
Colt receiver extension
Carbine buffer and spring
Magpul Gen 2 30 round mag w/ Ranger Plate in Foliage

Current incarnation:
https://imageshack.com/i/poduAyvkj

Same specs for the most part but this uses a modified F marked FSB that has been drilled, tapped and had set screws installed plus the obvious rail change to a SMOS SM12, which is just under 12".  I also used is one of my custom made 7075-T6 barrel nuts instead of the heavy factory one to shave almost 2 more ounces off the weight.

I don't have an M-Lok light mount so no light and I had to move the FSB back as it looked funny with the space between it and the rail in the stock location since the SMOS rail is a bit short.

Future plans, should I keep it this way, would be to turn down the barrel to .550" where possible, run a .625" adjustable gas block, .625" Daniel Defense FSB or custom made aluminum FSB and do a 14.5" or shorther pin/weld with a suppressor mount.  Lastly, I'd have the barrel done in Armor Black CeraKote and the SMOS rail and lower in Foliage CeraKote.

I can't remember what the first setup weighed was but it was north of 7.5# which was too heavy.  The current setup is lighter but I need to add back the light at some point.  I love my Comp M3L as I'm faster with it than the T1-type optics.

What say the hive?  
View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is my Dissipator shooting steel at roughly 900RPM.

[url=https://youtu.be/E43IFdsH7eM]https://youtu.be/E43IFdsH7eM[/url]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Here is my Dissipator shooting steel at roughly 900RPM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E43IFdsH7eM
[url=https://youtu.be/E43IFdsH7eM]https://youtu.be/E43IFdsH7eM[/url]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

@BUCC_Guy

If you ever want to get rid of it, I promise I'll find an early non trap door stock and have it painted to match.

Seriously, if you get bored with it, I'll buy it back, sometime this quarter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Cross posting here. Finished my CMMG dissipator upper / spikes lower build off with a primary arms 2.5x CQB Primary Arms optic.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:35:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BUCC_Guy] [#18]

@BUCC_Guy

If you ever want to get rid of it, I promise I'll find an early non trap door stock and have it painted to match.

View All Quotes

@BUCC_Guy

Are you the original owner?  How much did you sink into this thing?  I made a spreadsheet of projected costs and stopped at $1300 in parts alone.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Are you the original owner?  How much did you sink into this thing?  I made a spreadsheet of projected costs and stopped at $1300 in parts alone.  
View All Quotes

@BUCC_Guy

Yeah, I am. Probably closer to $1700 if I'm honest, over almost three years. The engraving wasn't cheap, and the barrel started from a new DD CHF barrel. What did I sell it for? Like $1000?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
More pics:

How mant mags came with it?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BUCC_Guy] [#21]
More pics:

View Quote

Oh, man.  Didn't come with mags (I need a waffle) but I snaked it for only $800 from your previous buyer.  It's become one of my favorites.  

I've also had random people email me asking to buy it.  It's a crowd-pleaser, owing to the attention to detail.  I've owned well over 30 ARs and the proto is the only one that seems like a head-turner anymore.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#22]
More pics:

View Quote
That is absolutely beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Oh, man.  Didn't come with mags (I need a waffle) but I snaked it for only $800 from your previous buyer.  It's become one of my favorites.  

I've also had random people email me asking to buy it.  It's a crowd-pleaser, owing to the attention to detail.  I've owned well over 30 ARs and the proto is the only one that seems like a head-turner anymore.
View Quote

I think I had 4 of the waffles that I sold with it. Nodak doesn't sell them anymore. They used to sell just the mag body and floorplate, you'd have to find the springs/followers elsewhere.

Maybe I'll just start rolling my quarters and shoot you an obnoxious offer one day. I *loved* that rifle. Never get divorced.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]

I think I had 4 of the waffles that I sold with it. Nodak doesn't sell them anymore. They used to sell just the mag body and floorplate, you'd have to find the springs/followers elsewhere.

Maybe I'll just start rolling my quarters and shoot you an obnoxious offer one day. I *loved* that rifle. Never get divorced.
View All Quotes

I love the rifle, especially because it has the potential to be a 20".  It's just a barrel and a stock away from being a fullsize... all the unobtainium parts are already there.  The most I was offered so far is $1400, but the proto-inspired guns are the new rarities in the AR world.  Every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks their AR is "custom," but this thing is a work of art... which is why I say, "I take zero credit for this build" whenever I post it.  If it ever needs a new home, you have first stab... you earned it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a pre-ban Dissy many years ago and it came with a A2 stock....I liked the set-up.

I came across a lightly used post ban flat-top Bushmaster Dissy upper. I currently don't have a lower for it but would like to use a A2 stock (or maybe a "entry stock" to build it out as a irons only carbine.

Dumb Question:

If I use a A2 stock what buffer/spring do use?  Just regular carbine length?

BTW.....The gas system is carbine length.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:
I had a pre-ban Dissy many years ago and it came with a A2 stock....I liked the set-up.

I came across a lightly used post ban flat-top Bushmaster Dissy upper. I currently don't have a lower for it but would like to use a A2 stock (or maybe a "entry stock" to build it out as a irons only carbine.

Dumb Question:

If I use a A2 stock what buffer/spring do use?  Just regular carbine length?

BTW.....The gas system is carbine length.
View Quote
If you use a rifle stock, you'll need a rifle buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By pinedog31:
[url]http://smg.photobucket.com/use/pinedog31/media/20170115_154230.jpg.html]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/pinedog31/20170115_154230.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I finally have a setup to build a dissy, it's a carbine length gas system. I will have to check the barrel profile, but I am pretty sure it's a standard M4 profile.

I will need a barrel nut with Delta ring, front hand guard cap, FSB, and hand guards. Am I missing anything? Have the gas tube and LP gas block already.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:05:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1srelluc] [#30]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
If you use a rifle stock, you'll need a rifle buffer and spring.
View Quote

It worked-out fine. I cobbled it together and shot it/sighted it in. No issues with the rifle buffer.

Attachment Attached File

Bushmaster upper, Anderson lower/parts kit, GI carry handle, BM carrier/Colt bolt, all I had was a ambi-safety selector to use so I just left one side off of it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:

I worked-out fine. I cobbled it together and shot it/sighted it in. No issues with the rifle buffer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN5902--2--140027.JPG

Bushmaster upper, Anderson lower/parts kit, GI carry handle, BM carrier/Colt bolt, all I had was a ambi-safety selector to use so I just left one side off of it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Diggin' it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:41:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spin180] [#33]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#34]
So this one needs a paint job...

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#35]
My Spike's GMP started life all Moe'd out, but over the years i've toyed with different setups. Currently i've got a retro theme going on. I think i'm gonna let my father hang onto it for a while now. Might only have to add some ambi stuff to help him shoot lefty.

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By LOS:
View Quote

@LOS

What upper/barrel is that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Idpapaperoperator:

@LOS

What upper/barrel is that?
View Quote

It's a PSA [mid-length gas ] upper with 16" SS barrel. I replaced the factory furniture/bird cage with vintage A1 components.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#39]

That looks damn good.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#40]

This is awesome. What is the source of the A1 style handle that is removable? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TennesseeRat:

This is awesome. What is the source of the A1 style handle that is removable? Thanks.
View Quote

Looks like a CNC Gunsmithing Detachable A1
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By akok74:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By akok74:
Originally Posted By TennesseeRat:

Thanks guys!

Yes, that's a CNC Gunsmithing A1 handle.  You have to source and install the sight assembly itself, as it's not included with the handle.  I got the A1 sight parts from Apex Gun Parts; about $20 as I recall.  I swapped in an A2 aperture, though.  My eyes don't do so well with the A1 version.

In the end, the A1 handle is about twice the cost of an A2 handle off the EE, but I think it's worth the price for the quality and form/function.

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I love the look of rifle length handguards with a short barrel.

Here's a pic of my dedicated 22lr Retro/Prototype/A2/dissipator mutant.

Also have a rifle gassed 605 replica in the works.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:30:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By k-wad:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee450/kdwaddle/22lr%20Dissipator/100_0239_zps18xpiw6c.jpg

View Quote

I'm lusting after that furniture. It gorgeous. Where'd you get it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By k-wad:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee450/kdwaddle/22lr%20Dissipator/100_0239_zps18xpiw6c.jpg

View Quote

That's not a wood 607-type stock, is it?!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone have a picture of a dissipator with a fixed FSB, RAS, with a magpul ACS?  I currently have an A2 on my rifle but it's a tad bit too long.  I'm looking for a solution.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JF12:
Does anyone have a picture of a dissipator with a fixed FSB, RAS, with a magpul ACS?  I currently have an A2 on my rifle but it's a tad bit too long.  I'm looking for a solution.
View Quote
Closest I've got, but the SOPMOD has a similar shape.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Closest I've got, but the SOPMOD has a similar shape.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii33/perrymclovin/7DDAEB34-958C-4F97-89AF-D75B66DA068A-31603-00002975F888E960.jpg
View Quote
I've been planning on doing pretty much the same thing, out of spare parts I have laying around, once I sell off the Recce build. (I built it to sell.) I'm just going to use a cheap, M4 barrel I bought new a year ago for $65. It's 1:8 twist - I bet it does everything I want it to do - basically a knock-around gun for the backcountry.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Morg308:

I've been planning on doing pretty much the same thing, out of spare parts I have laying around, once I sell off the Recce build. (I built it to sell.) I'm just going to use a cheap, M4 barrel I bought new a year ago for $65. It's 1:8 twist - I bet it does everything I want it to do - basically a knock-around gun for the backcountry.
View Quote
It's always been one of my favorite builds, but I have a couple other rifles that I just can't not shoot any time I get to go out, so it lives in the safe far more than I like.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Finally got around to painting this guy:

Page / 85
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top