Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2010 8:19:48 AM EDT
In several different photo threads I have seen pics of stacks of magazines, or others with just one, but the magazines are numbered. Why? So you know that # 25 is being used or is there some actual utility in doing this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I number mine so if one starts acting up I'll be able to identify it readily from a pile of other mags that essentially look the same.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#2]
You number magazines to help you identify any that might be causing malfunctions, not working properly, or need to be rotated.  Makes it easier when you have a bunch of the same mags.  Other markings suggested are name/initials, range or duty mags, and date (month & year) purchased.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You number magazines to help you identify any that might be causing malfunctions, not working properly, or need to be rotated.  Makes it easier when you have a bunch of the same mags.  Other markings suggested are name/initials, range or duty mags, and date (month & year) purchased.

+1

I rotate my carry mags and ammo so that fresh stuff is always in the pipe.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
They all look alike.. so it's hard to remember which ones have problems.

I do the same thing to my rechargeable batteries.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#5]
It is a form of identification, some use numbers, some use letters and some colors.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I rotate my carry mags and ammo so that fresh stuff is always in the pipe.

yup
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I figured there had to be some useful purpose.  

when you have "that many" do you always keep them loaded? Reason for my questions is, does the spring mechanism inside similar to say a glock magazine lose its spring after a period of time of being under a full load?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I number mine so if one starts acting up I'll be able to identify it readily from a pile of other mags that essentially look the same.

+1 so simple, a caveman could have thought of it.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Springs do not lose their "spring" from being loaded or unloaded, they wear out from cycling. I keep pmags only loaded now with the dust cover to keep pressure off the feed lips. I have a bunch of USGI mags that were loaded for long long periods of time and they worked fine, but now I mostly just keep pmags loaded. My biggest concern with USGI mags is the feed lips and not the spring.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Springs do not lose their "spring" from being loaded or unloaded, they wear out from cycling. I keep pmags only loaded now with the dust cover to keep pressure off the feed lips. I have a bunch of USGI mags that were loaded for long long periods of time and they worked fine, but now I mostly just keep pmags loaded. My biggest concern with USGI mags is the feed lips and not the spring.

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I use various color electrical tape (small pieces) to identify what ammo is loaded into which mag (i.e. red for XMi93, green for XM855, etc.)  If a mag goes bad, I just peel the tape off.  I also put a piece on the floor plate as I stack them vertically in ammo cans, so I can open the top of the can and just reach in and grab what I want.  On cans full of the same ammo, I can stick the same color tape on them and grab a whole can out of the stack.  If I want to keep track of dates, Privi vs. Federal, etc, I use a Sharpie to note it on the tape.  Example....a mag or ammo can with red tape and "F" marked on it, I know it's Federal XM193.

Probably a little anal, but I have lots of time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This and when I go to the range I know I have 1-6 or what not, so I know if anyone wanders off with one, I know which one and to go looking.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't number mine; I label them with the day of the week so I can coordinate them with my official Magpul Travis Haley signature bikini briefs - available in FDE, FG, OD, black and digital.  (I like digital because it hides the skidmarks.)

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
wouldn't it be easier to only mark the ones that have problems. I mark them so I know what ammo is in what. But I'm not going to remember what numbers are witch. Blue tape for 5.56 Tap nothing for M193. only have one mag that doesn't work and I don't use that one. I only keep it because its a unscratched early Colt AR-15 .223cal mag.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Good tips and points.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I number mine for round count and caliber.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I mark mine with my the letter of my last name and a number.  Been doing this for over 25 yrs on my battle rifle mags, SMG and handguns.  Serves the purpose of identifing mags that are having issues and during training when you have your whole team on line doing drills.  After awhile theres 50 mags on the deck and then you know which are yours (because your the only one that does maintence on his mags and you swim with them in salt water)

CD
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I use a letter and number.  The letter let's me keep track of what ammo is in the mag.  D = defense, R = range, H = hunting and I am thinking of adding V for varmint since I will be using cartridges foe Deer in the H mags.  The numbers are the magazine number.  If one malfunctions at the range, I can make note of it, swap out mags and start shooting again and play with the mag when I get home to check for issues.

Some folks color code mags, and that may work well for them.  I am working on a foliage green build now and want a black middy build later and once I win the LaRue contest I hope to have the gray furniture on it, so color coding will be out of the question if I want my mag color to match the gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Wouldn't it be a much simpler system to only mark those giving you problems, with the kind of malfunction caused?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wouldn't it be a much simpler system to only mark those giving you problems, with the kind of malfunction caused?

No time to mark when you're running a stage at a 3-gun or on the line during a course.  Note the number and drive on.

It also makes IDing YOUR magazines from the others during such events much easier.

+1 to both reasons.

I was in a class last year where all the shooters on the line (8 IIRC?) where using black PMags. Having mine marked ahead of time sure made it easy figuring out which ones on the deck were mine!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top