Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:04:54 PM EDT
I currently have a 20" HBAR Ar15. I'm very pleased with it and have no complaints. I'm looking at getting another, and looking at the opposite end of the spectrum. After doing a lot of carrying of the 20" HBAR with A2 stock I'm looking at going smaller and lighter for the next one. It will be for doing a lot of woods carrying with intermediate shooting at ranges 100 yards and under.  This leaves me wanting to decide between a mid length and CAR length. Both flat tops. I am not planning on going the SBR route and will stick with a 16" barrel either way.

Because of this and the fact that I will be shooting ironsights for now I think the 16" is the best bet for sight radius. I'm also aware of the fact that is will be softer shooting and should cause less parts wear than a CAR length gas system. Some extra rail space wouldn't hurt either. My overall goal is a simple lighweight rifle. Acessories to be added in the future will only be a light and optic.

So the only real question is how much lighter would a 16 CAR  be over the  mid-lenth? I'm guessing it's neglibilbe because the hanguards are the only difference as far as weight is concerned.

If I ended up going with a lightweight or pencil barrel and adjustable stock how appreciable would the weight difference be between the CAR/middy vs HBAR, especially after a lot of carrying? I am not trying to go as light as possible such as getting polymer or carbon fiber lowers. Just something better and handier for carrying a couple hours at a time. Keeping the HBAR shouldered for long periods of time becomes tiring.

And just for aesthetics, can somebody post a comparable middy and CAR next to eacother in the same picture?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
http://545ar.com/calc.html - Weight calculator.

A lightweight midlength will be a few ounces lighter than a M4 profile carbine length (both with plastic handguards).

A lightweight carbine will be an ounce or so lighter than a lightweight midlength (both with plastic handguards). This also depends on how the manufacturer defines "lightweight".

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top