Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 6:49:13 AM EDT
Looking to buy an M4 and a .22lr conversion / dedicated upper, this will be for training myself before a nice long trip to someplace warm and sandy :)

I am not interested in the "best" rifle, but in the rifle that is closest to what I have been issued and will be using downrange - chrome-lined bbl, M16 BCG, etc.  Obviously select fire is not an option right now, but the lower needs to be mil. spec. also if I decide to get my Class III on and buy a RDIAS.

I would like a flat-top, with detachable carry handle (plan on primarily shooting with irons) and a 16.1" bbl with flash hider.

I'm not sure what exactly the pros and cons of dedicated .22lr upper vs. just swapping out the bolt are (other than the obvious price difference) but this is not a rifle or process I want to spend a lot of time messing around with.  I want it to work out of the box and not require me to sprinkle it with holy water or spend $200 on gun smithing to get things "running right."

I've looked at the BCM M4 Carbine Mod 1 and it seems to be exactly what I am looking for, any feedback from owners?  alternatives? is it quality stuff?  How about .22lr upper/conversions?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
BCM has good stuff but if you intend on using a 22 conversion kit I'd recommend getting a 1 in 9 twist.  You might look at the CMMG who has just introduced a dedicated 22 on a real AR M-4 style lower.  You  could then buy a 5.56 upper which might be the cheapest route to go.  I find that shooting 22 LR for AR training is almost as good as shooting 5.56.  The recoil isn't bad in semi with 5.56 so its usually the noise and blast plus expense of the 5.56 ammo compared to a 22 rimfire.  When my department allow rifles I started shooting 22 with a Ciener conversion but went to a dedicated upper in 22 LR.  I rarely shoot centerfire unless its for Department training.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Spike's Tactical .22 conversion kit for my RRA middy.  I have had ONE FTE in over 1,000 rds., using Federal and Winchester ammo.  (It will not feed Remington ammo at all.)  I'm very pleased with it and highly recommend it.  It comes with a gas tube plug in case you want to dedicate your upper to .22LR.  It also has 2 rubber O-rings on the .223 case part of the kit that helps prevent blowback that the CMMG kits do not have.

I've shot my AR more in the last month than in the previous 3 years I owned it.  I caught the kit on sale and got it and 3 BDM mags for $209.  It's already paid for itself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
dbl
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
dbl
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
CMMG .22 stainless steel conversion or CMMG dedicated upper.
I have a QuebecA that I've put 2700+ rounds through so far with 1 failure to reset the trigger. That was due to the Fed Bulk ammo. I heard the round go pop.
The CMMG has several modifications and up grades not available on the other kits. I've run several different brands and types of ammo through it.
The stock blaster barrel has more than adequate accuracy. I've shot several dime sized groups at 25 yards with Win 555 bulk and decent groups with Fed bulk. CCI mini mags do as well as the Win 555. Eley Match yielded the best group. All rounds touching.
You can find all the information here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=145&t=188909

And range reports here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=507393
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I think I'll be getting the BCM M4 and the CMMG 22 upper - my wife is actually asking me "when are you ordering your rifle?!?"

Will post a range report when they come in
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Spikes dedecated 22lr upper gets my vote. Living in a ban state Spikes permently attached a $30.00 RRA muzzle brake and installed a railed gasblock defeating the A2 front sight bayo lug problem The gasblock is there for looks since the 22lr doesn't use a gas system to operate. I have shot over 4000 rds of Wally world Federal bulk pack without an issue. No stoppages or FTF. 10 rd Blackdog mags to complete setup. Good luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top