Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/5/2010 11:10:22 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie here to the ar15 scene and am very close to finally joining the ar15 club.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the CMMG bargain bin rifles and had any reviews/problems with the rifles. I'm mainly paranoid about ordering the gun and receiving a gun that only works half the time, is beat to hell and back, or ends up being a POS in general. I will be using the rifle solely for range shooting. Since I'm a budget shooter I'll also most likely be running tula or any other cheap ammo.

I also already have a UTG carry handle and a C-Product mag with an orange follower.

Opinions on the rifle, carry handle, or mag?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:13:41 PM EDT
Probably be a fine shooter, for 600$ you can't go wrong... but for 200$ more you could get a brand new spikes with 2 pmags and sights, ready to roll, with a warranty also.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:26:30 PM EDT
They've been offering these rifles for some time now. I have yet to see a single negative report on them. Most of the 'blemishes' are so insignificant as to be negligible. Most of these rifles were gun show demos, etc. so it isn't like they've been heavily abused.

For $600 it'd be hard to go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:12:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
They've been offering these rifles for some time now. I have yet to see a single negative report on them. Most of the 'blemishes' are so insignificant as to be negligible. Most of these rifles were gun show demos, etc. so it isn't like they've been heavily abused.

For $600 it'd be hard to go wrong.

Well, I bought one for my nephew, and my brother bought one. The charging handle on my brothers was out of spec and rubbing the living crap out of the upper, and it required a ton of windage adjustment on the rear sight to get it to shoot straight, otherwise it functions correctly. My nephews was doubling, which I isolated to a really crappy disconnector (machined improperly). CMMG did send a replacement hammer and disconnector at no charge, but my faith in the overall quality and reliability of the CMMG BB guns is not great. Yes, I know it's a sample size of only two, but I wouldn't buy or recommend another. All of the kit guns I've built over the years for myself and for others have been of higher overall quality, and that's the only way I'll roll from here out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:11:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Punkface:
Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie here to the ar15 scene and am very close to finally joining the ar15 club.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the CMMG bargain bin rifles and had any reviews/problems with the rifles. I'm mainly paranoid about ordering the gun and receiving a gun that only works half the time, is beat to hell and back, or ends up being a POS in general. I will be using the rifle solely for range shooting. Since I'm a budget shooter I'll also most likely be running tula or any other cheap ammo.

I also already have a UTG carry handle and a C-Product mag with an orange follower.

Opinions on the rifle, carry handle, or mag?

Do it. CMMG has batches avaiable every so often, they go FAST... They are mix matxhed guns, but they work well!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:39:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 4:39:31 AM EDT by Stazi]
My buddy bought one of the 18" ones and it is a really nice gun. Shoots great and looked practically new when he got it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:47:19 AM EDT
Not a bad deal but for $70 more you can get a new rifle with warranty here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:09:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By marmilia:
Not a bad deal but for $70 more you can get a new rifle with warranty here.

DS is a good gun, In before spikes kool-aid folks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:28:15 AM EDT
I also got one of those 18" bargain bin rifles from CMMG.. Interesting enough that it came with a DoubleStar lower. I got it during last year's hype and it was a good deal then.. I still think it is a good deal now. But, there is also more options now, and I don't see another price spike for the next 3-4 months so you can get it. But if you have doubts.. Just wait.. There will be other deals..

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:09:02 PM EDT
I bought one in early '08 and have enjoyed shooting it. It has gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger. The only time it has been down for repairs was when I let the bolt carrier roll off a workbench and it hit the concrete floor on the top of the gas key. The lack of warranty didn't bother me; I tend to buy used guns as they are less expensive.

Mine was built on a DPMS lower receiver, The FFL that I had the carbine shipped to said that it was a stripped lower based onthe serial number. Cosmetically, it was okay. There were no major scratches or dings. The colors between the upper and lower didn't match, but I was okay with it. Same went for mine not having a chromed-lined barrel. I weighed the pro's and con's and decided that was an "extra" I could live without.

Also, figure in that you'll need to buy a rear sight for the carbine as they typically don't come with one. The UTG carry handle will probably be "good enough" to get started, but it is going to limit your choices if you decide to get any optics for the carbine down the road. The money "saved" on a BB carbine has allowed me to do other things to it. For example, I have replaced the FSB with a folding one, replaced the standard handguards with a quad rail, and added a Trijicon Reflex sight. None of the above was necessary, just symptoms of BRD.

I think that they are a great "gateway" AR-15. Just do some research and make sure that is exactly what you want. For example CDNN Investments has a S&W AR for around the same price.

James

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:12:32 PM EDT
I have two BB rifles... a friend has three.

They all work. No complaints.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:12:50 PM EDT
I have handled three of them and they all were in great condition. The latest group seems to be all Double Star lowers, I remember when many of the lowers were DPMS. I don't think they are a bad deal for the money, but for $669 you can get a complete Double Star rifle from Buds, for another $100 you could be getting a much higher quality rifle from Spikes, so the choice is yours. For the most part CMMG has decent customer service.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:04:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 11:05:43 AM EDT by Punkface]
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to order the BB rifle (16 inch non chrome lined barrel) because all the other rifles warranties would've gone out the window as soon as I shot tula anyways. Will give a range report as soon as I get it!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:16:48 AM EDT
Mine is decent for the money. But my Pmags won't drop free, and I can't use them in this rifle. Also, my Accuracy Speaks trigger will not function (hammer severely binding,) and I had to put the standard trigger that came with it back in it. Obviously an out-of-spec DoubleStar lower. I bought it with the understanding that there was 'No Return..."

I may still contact DoubleStar - I've dealt with them on another build, and they were great.
Top Top