Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2010 4:05:55 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to join the AR club soon.  I've been wanting one for awhile, but after shooting my buddies RRA last weekend, my wife even gave approval.  Now I just have to figure out what I want.  Right now I'm thinking of getting a M&P15OR for $660 after the $100 rebate since it seems to be a really good deal for a complete AR.  I also like the M&P15T that has the free floating rail and the rails to add more stuff on but it's considerably more money and I'm not sure if I'd really fill up those rails or not.  I'm more than open to other brands or even building one although I've never done it.  I've been researching this so much the past couple weeks and still feel so lost.  Now I just get headaches from all the options!  lol.  I figure if I were to build one, I could go w/ a RRA lower, MOE Lower Kit, then I would just need an upper.  I plan on the Eotech 512, it seems to be the popular option.

This gun is going to be for fun with no particular use.  I plan on taking it to the range, playing w/ it at the hunting lease, and using it at the house for home defense.  I'm not a police officer or military so the gun will not be used for work purposes.  Does anyone have any recommendations for me?  Thanks everyone.  Hope I put this in the right place.  http://www.firehousehouston.com/forum/images/smilies/smiley.gif
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
This.  If you want the rails, I like these.  There are better options for rails, but these are GTG.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Just remember the "OR" means optic ready. Simply, it doesn't have any sites, front or back. You're going to have to spend more money before you can even aim it properly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This.  If you want the rails, I like these.  There are better options for rails, but these are GTG.

Are you referring to the complete rifle or just the upper to go along with what I had posted? I didn't pick those out for any particular reason either, just seemed like a good price and well reviewed.  And I do realize that they don't come w/ any sights.  Reason I'm looking at that is because I don't want the standard fixed sight up front.  I would like to just put a flip down.  I'll probably just order the Troy sights whenever I find the rest of the rifle.  I forgot to mention that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#4]
what are opinions on these S&Ws, I too am looking at them hard but not so sure...heard the feedramps arent milled quite as good?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The S&W are nice rifles, but you won't be able to shoot them with out any sort of optic. Not that its a problem, just something to keep in mind. You could build up the RRA like you were thinking, or you could find any number of nice rifles for your price range.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what are opinions on these S&Ws, I too am looking at them hard but not so sure...heard the feedramps arent milled quite as good?

Unless your shooting full auto or really long bullets you dont really need m4 feed ramps.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently purchased a new upper (M4 LE) from Spikes Tactical with the Spikes 10" rail, low profile gas block, hard chrome BCG and Magpul BUIS.  (All said it was under 800 bucks, dont remember exact total)  I have it paired with my EoTech 552.  I have to tell you its the BEST bang for the buck in my opinion.  The upper came with the heavy buffer and since I had the rail put on that came with the rail covers and a sling attachment point.  I called and had it put together EXACTLY how I wanted.

Took 2 weeks to get here, but the fact that I could have it just the way I wanted ( they even installed the Magpul sights for me) made the wait very worth it.  I was worried about weight, but their rail is very light and this upper is MUCH lighter than the Ruger 556 I had.  

S&W are nice, but I am sold on Spikes.  Another option is to go with a Colt 6920.  I just picked up one of those and couldnt be more happy.  Out the door it was under $1200 bucks.  I think its a good time to get what you really want instead of settling.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
For what you want to do with your rifle, the Smith&Wesson are a good rifle. Maybe not as good as the Spikes LE, but better than a lot of others. I have the M&P 15 Moe. I also have a BCM upper on a Spikes Lower. So I have a little experience. FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
How much better of a rifle than the S&W, DPMS, or any of the other cheaper brands would this upper be w/ paired w/ a decent lower?  (RRA?)  BCM Standard 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ Troy Standard TRX 11" Handguard

I'm assuming thats a good one since I hear good things about BCM and Troy.  I would also see that I need to add a charging handle and BCG right?  Wouldn't know which to get.  The only problem w/ building this rifle is now I'm gonna be spending about $950 or so and still need sights and the charging handle and BCG.  If I go w/ something cheap like the M&P15OR then I can add the Eotech 512 for $409 and have a rifle minus BUIS for $1068.

I do plan on keeping this for along time and want something good.  Being a noobie, I'm just not sure if the price difference in getting a different upper is worth it.  From what I can't really go wrong w/ any lower.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How much better of a rifle than the S&W, DPMS, or any of the other cheaper brands would this upper be w/ paired w/ a decent lower?  (RRA?)  http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-MID-16+TRX11std&CartID=1

I'm assuming thats a good one since I hear good things about BCM and Troy.  I would also see that I need to add a charging handle and BCG right?  Wouldn't know which to get.  The only problem w/ building this rifle is now I'm gonna be spending about $950 or so and still need sights and the charging handle and BCG.  If I go w/ something cheap like the M&P15OR then I can add the Eotech 512 for $409 and have a rifle minus BUIS for $1068.

I do plan on keeping this for along time and want something good.  Being a noobie, I'm just not sure if the price difference in getting a different upper is worth it.  From what I can't really go wrong w/ any lower.

only one possible option

Sure you could spend less, but the upper is the most important part.  You can upgrade/add stocks, optics, triggers, etc easily enough later, but IMHO, you shouldn't skimp on the upper.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Haha, I did see that, but was confused by the "Auto" part.  Didn't know if I'd need semi.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Haha, I did see that, but was confused by the "Auto" part.  Didn't know if I'd need semi.  

you can use an "Auto" BCG in a semi.  Auto just has more mass to it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
If you can,  get a BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 (medium) charging handle also, you will love it!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:20:27 AM EDT
[#14]
CDNN has (had) the S&W with front sight and removable carry handle for $700 after rebate.  This would get you going, and if you opt for a scope later, just remove the carry handle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you referring to the complete rifle or just the upper to go along with what I had posted? I didn't pick those out for any particular reason either, just seemed like a good price and well reviewed.  And I do realize that they don't come w/ any sights.  Reason I'm looking at that is because I don't want the standard fixed sight up front.  I would like to just put a flip down.  I'll probably just order the Troy sights whenever I find the rest of the rifle.  I forgot to mention that.

Either way, you will be very happy.  Both the upper and lower are very high quality.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:45:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I have to dissagree with all the people recomending a polymer freight train unload all the newer addons to your first rifle from the get go, buy a very basic rifle for your first one, learn where the rifle falls short of your needs and your expectations, then purchase items to fill those gaps. It will cost you more, but in the long run you will gain a greater understanding of both yourself and the rifle, knowing first hand why you need something trumps you simply trusting someone who tells you that you need it.

I think you are on the right track with the S&W once you get sights figured out for it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Buy from bcm with absolute confidence that you are getting one of the best out there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:02:29 AM EDT
[#18]
First carbine - maybe you want to stay basic.

I got my son a S&W, then I got a DD.  Right now there is 1 DD left at AIM, which would be a good starter gun :  http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DD20017&groupid=103

That is a VERY good deal for $1000 shipped.  When you add all the stuff with the OR Smith, you'd be in the same range.

BUT, Smith is a good make, so I'm not bad mouthing them.  But, the DD has an M16 BC, and CHF barrel.

Will I see the need for a CHF barrel over the lifetime of my shooting - maybe not!

And the S&W has MOST of the 'Milspec Chart' features for a pretty good deal now.  The warranty is supposed to be one year only.  I trust Smith a bit farther than that though.  

Its a MAZE out there, but maybe you should 'read the chart' and then decide.  

You can also get an LMT for about $1000 in basic configuration if you look around.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#19]
What do you mean the warranty is supposed to be one year only?  It says Lifetime warranty for the S&W.

I think I just need to decide what I want.  I can pay less, get the M&P15OR w/ Troy battlesights and EOTech 512 for $1264 total.  I can also do the RRA lower, the MOE lower kit, BCM 16" upper w/ the BCM BCG, troy battlesights and EoTech for $1775.  Either way, I would like a flat top because I don't want the fixed front sight since I'll be using an EoTech or scope or whatever else and don't want it in the field of vision.  

After looking at those numbers I think I'll probably just get the M&P.  I doubt the BCM upper is a difference I'd notice to be honest.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay I'm sorry to ask again, but I wanted to get opinons on this.  On Troys website they have this Troy CQB Upper Receiver 16" which is 20% off this weekend bringing it to $980 for an upper including sights.  It is cheaper than the other option I posted up earlier for the BCM upper by $100 once you include the sights.  What do you guys think about that?  Is this a deal I should jump on then pair with a lower and have a good rifle?  Is it worth the money over the M&P15?  Like stated earlier, this would be my first AR and I'd like to take the gun to the deer lease with me for hunting stuff there along with playing with it at home.

Edit:  Scratch that.  I think I'm going to go w/ the Spikes CQC-22 deal.  That thing just looks awesome, lol.  Plus there is a 10% off coupon code
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top