Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2010 10:05:06 PM EDT
I really hated to start a new thread on a worn-out topic, but I didn't want to hijack anybody else's thread, and my "needs" are a little different than most.

I'm looking for an OBNOXIOUS brake/comp that primarily controls muzzle flip and recoil.  I could care less about flash suppression, kicking up dust.......and noise   I currently run either A2 birdcages or variations, which do nothing for me, or the dreaded Mini-Y comps, which I actually like.  However, I'd like to try something that controls recoil and flip better, and has more of a "thump" to it.  I'm seriously considering two; either the Battlecomp 1.0 or the JP Recoil Eliminator (the goofy-looking one).  Size and weight are not a concern.  I know the Battlecomp is apparently THE brake/comp to have right now, but was wondering how it compared to the JP in muzzle flip and noise.  There's not much info on this particular JP (there is on the JP Tactical Compensators - Bennie Cooley Series).   Like I said, flash isn't a concern on the host rifles these are going on, and a nice, LOUD "thump" would be a positive.  I have an obnoxious streak in me that I need to exhibit on occasion.  The Mini-Y's don't bother me at all, if that gives you an idea.  The Battlecomps sure do look like they eliminate flip, though.

BTW, I don't use these at public ranges, so I'm not a public menace.  Just me and my other obnoxious friends.

I think I've looked at everything out there, but if anybody has a better suggestion, bring it on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The people who shoot in competitions seem to think very highly of the SJC Titan.
The BattleComp is good, not "as good" as a dedicated brake, but it is not designed to fill that role. You should probably not consider it, for it offers a set of features that aren't what you're looking for.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#2]
BC FTW
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:56:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The people who shoot in competitions seem to think very highly of the SJC Titan.

The BattleComp is good, not "as good" as a dedicated brake, but it is not designed to fill that role. You should probably not consider it, for it offers a set of features that aren't what you're looking for.  

The titan is pretty much the best. You might lose some fillings after shooting it for a while, but your gun doesn't move.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#4]
FSC 556
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Titan comp videos.

Titan on FA setup
308 Titan comp

USSA-1
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:50:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The Titan is awesome. I have one. It's actually not bad for the shooter himself.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#7]
The BattleComp won't piss off your shooting buddies...it will make them want to buy more BattleComps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Titan comp videos.

Titan on FA setup
308 Titan comp

USSA-1

Wow, that mag dump was hella impressive!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#9]
That's what I thought.  I didn't even see the muzzle TRYING to climb.  Pretty damn amazing.  If anybody knows, how does the "blast" compare to the Mini-Y?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#10]
if you want a break that will rattle the teeth of everyone in proximity cant get much better than this:
http://jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

Does it stop recoil, you tell me... (the whole video is great and retro but at 1:00 its one handed full auto SBR colt time, look at that flame!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaKEImeVBQ0

To compare, watch the surefire video.  I love my Surefire and it give the guys on the lanes next to me a nice blast but the gun still moves, a little.  The 300 Win mag JP on the bench barely moves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWUk6GJQhNQ

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I like my SJC a lot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Been thinking of wasting some money on a battle comp. Are they really that effective?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I just spent about 10 minutes watching videos, and it seems that the SJC Titan is by far the smoothest shooting brake there is.  I just ordered on for my hunting AR.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an Armalite comp on my 15.  Very LOUD and controls flip.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EU0117M2&Category=914c4e04-7f70-4e75-b80c-90f07c3d5b62
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I once ran a mini y-comp on a 7.5 inch AR.  I'm surprised it didn't rattle the fillings out of my teeth.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I am on the fence between the battlecomp and the SJC titan...Would love to hear from someone who has used both...I like the size of the battlecomp and like the price of the titan...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I put a yhm 5m1 on my SPR build.  I test fired it after I built it and like a dumb ass, I didn't used hearing protection.  It was damn loud.

I think it works pretty good for the price I paid for it.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FSC 556

I am very impressed with the pws fsc556
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]
My buddy has an AR built by D&L Sports and the brake on that thing is the loudest/ most obnoxious F^#%#ING thing I have ever heard.  However, the gun does not move when you shoot it.

D&L Website
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:29:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I am on the fence between the battlecomp and the SJC titan...Would love to hear from someone who has used both...I like the size of the battlecomp and like the price of the titan...

It really depends upon what you want the compensator to do.  They are two totally different designs with different applications.  The Titan was designed to maximize muzzle control and recoil with no consideration for reducing muzzle flash.  It's a pure performance oriented design.  The Battlecomp was designed to provide a measure of recoil control, but within tactical or serious social applications.  It has good performance for it's size and it performs adequately as a flash suppressor, but in a head to head performance matchup it can't compete with the Titan.  Likewise, it a true tactical environment where some measure of flash suppression is required or desired, the Battlecomp will outperform the Titan.

Different designs for different applications.  You have to decide what kind of performance you need to really determine which design will work better for you.

USSA-1
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the advice and links, guys!  Pretty-much what I expected.....everybody has their favorite.  Unfortunately, the one that still intrigues me is the JP Recoil Eliminator.  I watched that video over and over with the guy in the suit shooting one-hand, and damn if I can see ANY recoil or muzzle flip at all!   Lot's- O-flame (not a concern), no movement I can see, and I'm assuming is pretty obnoxious and is kinda goofy-looking (I like "different").   Anybody else with experience with this one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#22]
My new battle comp came in the mail today.  It looks to be very well made.  Sure cant wait to try it out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:14:49 AM EDT
[#23]
so six years after AWB expires and brakes are now the new rage.  Funny, wonder why these better designs didnt come out back then.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
so six years after AWB expires and brakes are now the new rage.  Funny, wonder why these better designs didnt come out back then.

I think most of us are deaf by now and we just don't care if brakes are louder.  Oh.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#25]
The brakes that were developed during the AWB had to be permanently attached.  Threaded barrels were a no-no.  What good was developing a brake for a rifle that already had a perm attached brake.  The cost to cut off a brake, thread the barrel, crown it, then perm attach another brake, in addition to the cost of the new brake was a really expensive proposition.  Things are much easier now and with the increased popularity of 3-gun competitions, compensator/muzzle brake designs and options have flourished.

USSA-1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top