AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
A little black paint dabbed over the stake job is what Colt did for years. Makes a so so stake job look authentic.

HA! Nice.

I did just order a black paint pen to cover up the couple little nicks I put in my lower while putting it together... (I knew I should've put masking tape on it like the instructions said, but I had to go and learn the hard way, ha!)

Use Alumablack from Birchwood Casey.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
A little black paint dabbed over the stake job is what Colt did for years. Makes a so so stake job look authentic.

HA! Nice.

I did just order a black paint pen to cover up the couple little nicks I put in my lower while putting it together... (I knew I should've put masking tape on it like the instructions said, but I had to go and learn the hard way, ha!)

Use Alumablack from Birchwood Casey.

It's steel bits there not aluminum.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Birchwood and casey gun blue paste on a q-tip,black paint.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Loctite can glue the castle nut to the extension harder than the resistance the slot can hold if you ever remove the extension.  This causes the extension to unscrew from the lower instead of just the nut.  The tab on the end-plate then gouges a nice groove into your extension's threads.

Happened to me twice, now I stake.

Just out of curiosity, what loctite did you use? Red? Blue?

i use blue
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just looked at my stake job. My castle nut does not come with a crimping groove. Made in China?

Use a file and make one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
When I do mine with a punch and a hammer, it looks about as bad as yours does... I don't own ARs for their looks and so long as it does not come loose, I could not care less how it looks.

One thing that I do is hit the area with some Birchwood Casey super blue liquid to keep it from rusting.  A bottle of the stuff is like $4 and can be found at most gun shops.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL mine looks just like yours, ugly but it will work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I stake mine because I have had one come loose, I have seen others come loose and I have read accounts of even more coming loose.  If it wasn't an issue then it wouldn't be part of the spec.  But it is and it is.  Loctite is not the answer either.  Loctite doesn't belong on a castle nut.  Staking is fast and easy and the correct way to do this.

Bingo

Its a must !!

I stake mine just like LMT

there isnt 1 proper way

OP

You DID FINE!!  anyone saying otherwise dont know squat
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Loctite can glue the castle nut to the extension harder than the resistance the slot can hold if you ever remove the extension.  This causes the extension to unscrew from the lower instead of just the nut.  The tab on the end-plate then gouges a nice groove into your extension's threads.

Happened to me twice, now I stake.

Just out of curiosity, what loctite did you use? Red? Blue?

Standard run of the mill blue.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, use blue loctite and a proper castle nut wrench..... blue loctite is not permanent, red is.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It will be fine...

If people are so worried about them comming loose they should safety wire all their nuts and bolts.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, use blue loctite and a proper castle nut wrench..... blue loctite is not permanent, red is.

I would use blue but red comes right off with a little heat...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top