User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The advantage is heavy barrels take the heat better..id rather have the heavier more heat resistant barrel that will boost rate of fire because heat is handles better.There very relevant for semi auto use especially if sustained fire was needed..what if the weapon was ever needed to fight with and had to be used that way I would rather have the uneeded all the time advantage for 6 ounces more than regular M4 profile than need it and it not be there.Weight increase is slightly noticed and it balances better.Ill bet you would see HBARs in use it wasnt that the M203 in american use was attached to the barrel.If we used a QD m203 that ran off the rail system you would see un M4 notched medium weight barrels id bet on the M4.

I fully agree that a HBAR would take heat better.

When Colt did the M4 mag Dump until the barrel looked like a wet noodle . I wonder what condition the gas tube was in???
Seems it would of been fried as well??? I dont know??

I wonder how many Mags it takes to fubar a gas tube
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accuracy evaluation added to first post.

Oh boy, another old topic from the past!!

Okay

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

the gas tube wont fail from 30rd mags because of the few seconds it has to cool between mags.

The problem with these tests is that if you have common sense, it'll tell you to cool the barrel off when you cant hold onto the handguard anymore from heat. Then you pour water, oil, or piss on it to cool it. This is why my M4 machine gun is sporting a socom barrel. I do carry enough mags to make the standard barrel fail and i'll use them as needed.  A suppressor heats the barrel faster also.

heres some pics of mine.

02/02 date stamp im running an arms #50M-CV freefloat forend. Its a pain to oil under the handguards but its more accurate FF. I got lucky and got my socom barrel free with the purchase of the m16 reciever. I dont know what the going rate is for the real colt socom barrels but auto weapons had one for sale at $1500

A7 I 2 marking on FSB

mine is a more traditional roll marking.

IMHO the barrel aint worth the extra weight unless its a MG.

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 2:44:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometime in mid 94, I remember when Colt came down to Ft Campbell with two M4A1s.  Each SF guy that was there loaded up two 30 rd mags and fired those guns, semi and auto.  Guns started getting hot so gloves where worn and when they got too hot to hold we poured water from 5gal cans on them.  Shook off the water and back to shooting.  Some 30-40 SF guys put down range 4 cases of 5.56 (1680rds ea)as fast as we could.  We later got the M4A1 second qtr 95.  We didn't have a single malfunction that I remember.

CD
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 2:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the gas tube wont fail from 30rd mags because of the few seconds it has to cool between mags.

The problem with these tests is that if you have common sense, it'll tell you to cool the barrel off when you cant hold onto the handguard anymore from heat. Then you pour water, oil, or piss on it to cool it. This why my M4 machinegun is sporting a socom barrel. I do carry enough mags to make the standard barrel fail and i'll use them as needed.  A suppressor heats the barrel faster also.

heres some pics of mine.

02/02 date stamp im running an arms #50M-CV freefloat forend. Its a pain to oil under the handguards which you must do on a MG but its more accurate FF. I got lucky and got my socom barrel free with the purchase of the m16 reciever. I dont know what the going rate is for the real colt socom barrels is but auto weapons had one for sale at $1500

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z210/macabre1_2007/IMG_0505.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z210/macabre1_2007/IMG_0509.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z210/macabre1_2007/IMG_0508.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z210/macabre1_2007/m4carbine4.jpg

Nice weapon

I bought My first AR15 in 1983.
I ve shot AR15`s for awhile now.
So Im AWARE that fireing 30rdmags aint going to do a thing to a Gas tube If you shoot slow

The last  M4`  that I bought in 2005
I fired around  5000rds the first day to break in and to check how she runs.

My Question is How many Mag Dumps does it take to fubar a Gas Tube

Mag Dump-  Fireing alot of mags off fast

so how many mags would it take to melt the GAS tube? Fireing as fast as can be possible.
Or are you saying the SOCOM  barrel will fail before GT
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sometime in mid 94, I remember when Colt came down to Ft Campbell with two M4A1s.  Each SF guy that was there loaded up two 30 rd mags and fired those guns, semi and auto.  Guns started getting hot so gloves where worn and when they got too hot to hold we poured water from 5gal cans on them.  Shook off the water and back to shooting.  Some 30-40 SF guys put down range 4 cases of 5.56 (1680rds ea)as fast as we could.  We later got the M4A1 second qtr 95.  We didn't have a single malfunction that I remember.

CD

WOW

Did they add any CLP durning there Fun time

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 3:04:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My Question is How many Mag Dumps does it take to fubar a Gas Tube

Mag Dump-  Fireing alot of mags off fast

so how many mags would it take to melt the GAS tube? Fireing as fast as can be possible.
Or are you saying the SOCOM  barrel will fail before GT

only C-mags and other drums will melt the gastube, 30rd mags wont.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That I believe we did.  Every now or then give it a squirt into the action.

CD

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 3:26:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That I believe we did.  Every now or then give it a squirt into the action.

CD

do yourself a favor and buy arisol cans of hoppes #9 gunoil, I spray that stuff on hot barrels and MG's all the time. It even cleans that light rust/oxidation off that happens from overheating when its sprayed on the hot part.

CLP is crap, we ruined the finish on a few M4's, the barrels were permanently stained brown from it. I'll never use that smelly brown crap again
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Info and video of M4 and M4A1 failure under sustained auto fire

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/m4-and-m4a1-guns/?hp
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Info and video of M4 and M4A1 failure under sustained auto fire

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/m4-and-m4a1-guns/?hp

in that article it says the socom barrels gas tube ruptured at 900rds but the bolt was getting stuck to the rear in the video. Im almost positive the person who wrote the article just assumed the gas tube failed.

it looks like the bolt is getting stuck on the top round in the magazine, then he charges it and it loads. I have seen this happen on dry dirty weapons, spray some lube in it and I bet it runs a lot more.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Has molon tested a standard m4 barrel with the same rounds? I have suspected these barrels are not worth it for semi auto

Unfortunately, most of my data on the standard 14.5” Colt M4 barrels was lost due to a hard-drive crash.  However, the accuracy results were basically the same as those of the Colt 16” M4 profile barrels.  The M4/government profile barrels tend to show more variation in accuracy from barrel to barrel than the heavier profile barrels.

One such Colt 16” M4 profile barrel tested in the same manner as described in my original post of this thread produced three 10-shot groups from 100 yards that had extreme spreads of:

1.42”
1.19”
1.56”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.39”.  The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.44”.

Another Colt 16” M4 profile barrel produced three 10-shot groups from 100 yards that had extreme spreads of:

1.59”
1.55”
1.73”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.62”.  The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.54”.

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not particularly a fan of the two piece design free-float railed handguards.  However, I have to say that the Daniel Defense Omega Rail is a very nice option for those who choose to go that route.  My M4 SOCOM upper will be wearing one during its accuracy evaluation.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/pc5x4tu58z.jpg

Is that a QRP mount for the Aimpoint?

If so did you use the spacer?

With the spacer will it give center cowitt?

Aimpoint QRP throw-lever mount with cantilever spacer.  They call it an absolute co-witness, but it is actually slightly higher.

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont understand, the Thicker, 14.5" Socom barrel has a wee bit more accuracy than a 16" gov't or standard LE6920 barrel?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top