Site Notices
Page / 48
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
what barrel length ?
View Quote
I want to say 18" but remembering back, it could have been 20". Not positive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By itgoesboom:
I was over as a contractor, and while my job didn't involve shooting, (I was working as a helo pilot) we did get our weapons training and quals done by the group guys.  

Our primary liaison with one set of customers lent me his CQBR and as much ammo as I could shoot in an afternoon.  Triggered my need for an SBR when I got home.  

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1609/24729778523_cc02bb5913_b.jpgCQBR-01 

Assisted another set of customers with an unusual request.  Involved a helicopter, a car they were "leasing" from a local, and lot's and lot's of heavy weapons.  Won't say how those all interacted with each other, but it was a fun afternoon.  

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4342/36018946960_3f2932168b_b.jpgAT4-1

Both are from Shank in '13.  

In reality, time on the range was pretty limited.  Most of my time was co-ordinating with customers or flying.  

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4355/36247427282_39690cb617_b.jpgFriendlySkies 
View Quote
How many rounds did you put through the Mk18? And how did it do?

A lot think they're finnicky and break easy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Hell yeah, first thing I thought too. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Originally Posted By Harv24:

You win major style points flying that chopper in that shirt.... I salute you.....
Hell yeah, first thing I thought too. 
Hawaiian shirt fridays definitely made a statement in a world of multicam.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By joglee:

How many rounds did you put through the Mk18? And how did it do?

View Quote
Not 100% sure of the round count, wasn't keeping track really.  Originally, I was hoping to put a couple hundred rounds through it, but the ammo was pretty much unlimited for us that day.  At least for 5.56.  9mm was a different story.  But I was starting with 1 mag in the gun, 2 on the carrier (how mine was setup).  I would run drills till I was empty, and then grab three more, and go again.  Rinse and repeat.  I figure I went through 10-15 iterations just on that rifle.  So by my math, somewhere between 900-1,350 rounds.  A few other guys jumped in with that rifle as well.  

No malfunctions.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote
A lot? Who, for example?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cam308:
Contractor Blackwater Tikrit 2005. This was the Provincial Council building if I remember correctly. Rifle was before the days of DoS supplied weapons...probably from the same procurement lot as the rifle used in Najaf, but Haley had a different scope with the M1 knobs. This was a Leupold Mk 4 MRT with M2 knobs. I had cans of Mk 262 Mod 0 and doped rifle out to 800 yards. Accurate rifle.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/CAM308/IMG_0138.jpg
View Quote
Info on the rifle please.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Rifle was a Bushmaster build, as were all the rifles on that Tikrit Task Order before the DoS issued weapons were rolled out. DoS used Colt M-4's and did not issue 556 platform sniper rifles. They used M-24's and SR-25's. I was later a DDM in Baghdad and got issued a brand new M-24.

I did like the SPR's and think they had a place on the Task Order but DoS did not agree apparently. We got our Mk 262 mod 0 ammo from Group guys who were rotating out. Some of our guys would make drug deals for ammo, frags, etc. Not actual drugs, just a term.....booze deals more appropriate.

I don't have any more detailed specs on the rifle except the serial number. Added new pic for better side view, before I had a chance to paint it.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Rifle was a Bushmaster build, as were all the rifles on that Tikrit Task Order before the DoS issued weapons were rolled out. DoS used Colt M-4's and did not issue 556 platform sniper rifles. They used M-24's and SR-25's. I was later a DDM in Baghdad and got issued a brand new M-24.

I did like the SPR's and think they had a place on the Task Order but DoS did not agree apparently. We got our Mk 262 mod 0 ammo from Group guys who were rotating out. Some of our guys would make drug deals for ammo, frags, etc. Not actual drugs, just a term.....booze deals more appropriate.

I don't have any more detailed specs on the rifle except the serial number. Added new pic for better side view, before I had a chance to paint it.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd53/CAM308/IMG_0121.jpg~original
View Quote
Thanks much for the pic and details
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Looks like a Vltor rail? 18" rifle length barrel?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:
View All Quotes

Looks like a ARMS SIR rail system.

CD
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Old school ARMS SIR. Back when it was either the SIR or the RAS.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes

That is a 20" barrel. Looks the same as my folding sight base to muzzle device.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wtwining:
http://i.imgur.com/Nmt1HWh.jpg
View Quote
Use only M193 to shoot over the back of uparmored HUMMVEEs.

CD
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Wish I still had the pics, but one of our tank crews ran over their own coax. Looked like a horse shoe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
LOL
my father used to tell me stories about many M16A1 bent barrels when he worked with the 509th Infantry Regiment...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
Like the setup, about the only thing I might change is the M4 stock to a Magpul UBR 2.0.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]

My department issue Rock River on Hurricane Duty in 2016.

Here are some pics from my deployment to Flagler County.

Worked with the local Sheriff's Office, the National Guard, and other State Law Enforcement agencies. 

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:08:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#19]
That looks just like my RRA, except without the aimpoint.  I've set it up lightweight for my kids.....  It runs really good, and seems to have really good accuracy.  I won't post a pic in there, it's in the M4 thread.  It's not an issue rifle.  

Is yours an HBAR too?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
That looks just like my RRA, except without the aimpoint.  I've set it up lightweight for my kids.....  It runs really good, and seems to have really good accuracy.  I won't post a pic in there, it's in the M4 thread.  It's not an issue rifle.  

Is yours an HBAR too?
View Quote
M4
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami_JBT] [#22]
Hurricane Irma Duty

My agency rifle

Florida National Guard Rifle

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Bump

Nice Pics Miami.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:06:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ChandlerKJ] [#24]

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:59:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami_JBT] [#25]
Hurricane Irma Duty

They shut down my location and told me to go on patrol instead. Well I have to patrol instead and I bumped into some more guardsmen.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Hurricane Irma Duty

My agency rifle

https://i.imgur.com/G3THr6G.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/s1C2QMs.jpg
View Quote
What's that doohickie in front of that safety?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
Looks like it physically blocks you from flipping it to the fun setting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Pothole:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pothole:

Correct. It is a trigger selector block.

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm shocked they let them have ammo! Good for your Adjutant General and Gov. for authorizing .
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ray9101:
I'm shocked they let them have ammo! Good for your Adjutant General and Gov. for authorizing .
View Quote
10rds of M855A1 and tape over It. 

Better to leave rifle, plates, and helmets at the armory. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#31]
Old pics from 2003

First month of the deployment

Last month
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:12:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Hurricane Irma Duty

They shut down my location and told me to go on patrol instead. Well I have to patrol instead and I bumped into some more guardsmen.

https://i.imgur.com/WmpxJ3a.jpg
View Quote
I think that might break some opsec. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Hurricane Irma Duty

My agency rifle

View Quote
Cool to see a M4 with the full auto block as required by law while on U.S. Operations
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Stukas87:
Cool to see a M4 with the full auto block as required by law while on U.S. Operations
View All Quotes
Hurricane Irma Duty

My agency rifle

Nothing in statue states that NG cannot use full-auro during stateside duties. M249s aren't restricted in that manner when used by the Guard stateside nor is LE restricted from using full-autos either.  

It is political posturing and the fear that PFC Snuffy will go weapons hot on a crowd. Hence selector switch blocks and taped off mags. 

Some units do it and others don't. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:31:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#36]
Nothing in statue states that NG cannot use full-auro during stateside duties. M249s aren't restricted in that manner when used by the Guard stateside nor is LE restricted from using full-autos either.  

It is political posturing and the fear that PFC Snuffy will go weapons hot on a crowd. Hence selector switch blocks and taped off mags. 

View All Quotes
Hurricane Irma Duty

My agency rifle

Just out of curiosity, what all has to be done to remove the block? Does the grip need to be removed or just pops out?

I guess I could understand the use of the block. And I guess I could understand the tape as its quickly enough removed and would prevent an ND anywho. What I can't get my head behind is the 10 rounds.

Domestic terrorism is a thing, and gatherings like these are one of their favorite targets. Now you guys are stuck with taped off 10 rds and the equivalent to a CA legal AR15. Would be quite the disadvantage if something was to go down
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Just out of curiosity, what all has to be done to remove the block? Does the grip need to be removed or just pops out?

I guess I could understand the use of the block. And I guess I could understand the tape as its quickly enough removed and would prevent an ND anywho. What I can't get my head behind is the 10 rounds.

Domestic terrorism is a thing, and gatherings like these are one of their favorite targets. Now you guys are stuck with taped off 10 rds and the equivalent to a CA legal AR15. Would be quite the disadvantage if something was to go down
View Quote
Grip is removed to get rid of the selector block. Ten rounds is for "personal protection". 

The NG is a public relations tool mostly and used to hand out bottled water and MREs. The NG is deployed to make the people believe that they are there to curb still looters. When in fact they aren't. Their ROE is to run to the nearest LEO. Hence why we're tasked with them. We are baby sitting the NG. 

I am better equipped than the NG is. I'm LE, not NG. 

During and after 9/11, the majority of NG were  carrying empty rifles. It is all a dog and pony show. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:

I think that might break some opsec. Just m9y opinion.
View Quote
I don't think so.  It is in the states and a humanitarian security mission.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Grip is removed to get rid of the selector block. Ten rounds is for "personal protection". 

The NG is a public relations tool mostly and used to hand out bottled water and MREs. The NG is deployed to make the people believe that they are there to curb still looters. When in fact they aren't. Their ROE is to run to the nearest LEO. Hence why we're tasked with them. We are baby sitting the NG. 

During and after 9/11, the majority of NG were  carrying empty rifles. It is all a dog and pony show. 
View Quote
This might breach OPSEC.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By imdBman:
This might breach OPSEC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By imdBman:

This might breach OPSEC.
Really?  Information using google is breaking OPSEC?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Some of the weapons the good Lord has provided me here in AFG (right now). Good times are had by all. If you're wondering I spent a bunch of time the other day delinking and relinking the 7.62 ammo bc the mg3 uses non-disintegrating belts. Abt ripped all the skin off my index finger jerking the rounds out of the links.  The people who furnish me w/the Mg3 have serialized ammunition lots with paperwork done for a single round lost or expended.  Thus the ammo-building fun when I need more... Also thanks again to the hard working US tax payer that makes all this possible.

Side note the Mg3 is fast as shit. It's quite difficult to get less than 3 rds odd even with the quickest trigger jerk/release. I'd say abt 1200 rpm or so. It makes 240's seem slow as shit, seriously. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#42]
Originally Posted By TacticalDeletion:
http://i.imgur.com/bKF6vLu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OVd6XsM.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/IClQZYy.jpg
Some of the weapons the good Lord has provided me here in AFG (right now). Good times are had by all. If you're wondering I spent a bunch of time the other day delinking and relinking the 7.62 ammo bc the mg3 uses non-disintegrating belts. Abt ripped all the skin off my index finger jerking the rounds out of the links.  The people who furnish me w/the Mg3 have serialized ammunition lots with paperwork done for a single round lost or expended.  Thus the ammo-building fun when I need more... Also thanks again to the hard working US tax payer that makes all this possible.

Side note the Mg3 is fast as shit. It's quite difficult to get less than 3 rds odd even with the quickest trigger jerk/release. I'd say abt 1200 rpm or so. It makes 240's seem slow as shit, seriously. 
View Quote
MG3 can also use US M13 disintegrating belts.  Thats all I've run out of German, Iranian, Turkish MG3s.  I have never ran a non-disintegrating belt to the tune of tens of thousands of rounds.

Turkish MKE MG3

MKE MG3 secondary to M2HB and M240Ds.  Used a 50 rd saddle drum on vehicles.

MKE MG3 on my FOB running M998

Iranian MG3

CD
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:14:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#43]
Came across an MP unit a while back still using M16A2s and spied this gem.

You can barely make out the "2" stamped over the "1" and you can see where the  "AUTO" marking was milled out and "BURST" was engraved in the newly milled oval area.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:
Came across an MP unit a while back still using M16A2s and spied this gem.

https://imgur.com/VyJXNnT.jpg

You can barely make out the "2" stamped over the "1" and you can see where the  "AUTO" marking was milled out and "BURST" was engraved in the newly milled oval area.
View Quote
There are quite a few "A2s" similar to that in USAF inventories still.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes, it’s 2017.  This was issued to me.

Link Posted: 10/15/2017 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
MG3 can also use US M13 disintegrating belts.  Thats all I've run out of German, Iranian, Turkish MG3s.  I have never ran a non-disintegrating belt to the tune of tens of thousands of rounds.

Turkish MKE MG3
http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/9809050727-A-5603C-127_MGs_249-240-3.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809123_IMG.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809123-2_IMG.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809IMAG0008_50_.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809IMAG0005_50_.JPG
Iranian MG3
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809RPK_PKM_PPSh41_MG3_and_M1919A6_minus_stock.JPG

CD
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Originally Posted By TacticalDeletion:
http://i.imgur.com/bKF6vLu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OVd6XsM.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/IClQZYy.jpg

Turkish MKE MG3
http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/9809050727-A-5603C-127_MGs_249-240-3.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809123_IMG.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809123-2_IMG.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809IMAG0008_50_.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809IMAG0005_50_.JPG
Iranian MG3
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/9809RPK_PKM_PPSh41_MG3_and_M1919A6_minus_stock.JPG

CD
The MG3 can; the MG1 (MG 42/59) cannot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bolster:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53204/3491634D-A84D-4275-9B6A-0D0A1DC359BC-333872.jpg
View Quote
Interesting combination of parts.  What mag is that?   Might be a whole bunch of guys rushing off to build a clone soon!
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
I'm calling bullshit on this photo.  Clearly it was photochopped.

What's up Cam?  
Mario here
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:33:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#49]
Originally Posted By Dace:
Really?  Information using google is breaking OPSEC?
View Quote
The fact that sensitive information can be found on a public source does not change the fact that it is sensitive, especially if it is then confirmed by a government / military official making reference to it. When Wikileaks posted State Department cables and other classified documents online over the past few years, government personnel were (and still are) prohibited from viewing it on unclassified systems. It is still classified information, even if you can find it with Google.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:
Interesting combination of parts.  What mag is that?   Might be a whole bunch of guys rushing off to build a clone soon!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:
Originally Posted By bolster:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53204/3491634D-A84D-4275-9B6A-0D0A1DC359BC-333872.jpg
Mag is HK.  Rail is RIS. KAC NT4 on the muzzle. GG&G rear sight.
Page / 48
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top