AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 219
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Three0h8:
A crush washer away from finally getting this together

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/468563/FAE399BC-6C9B-4D1C-A914-61B5EF2A7C2E_jpe-2766594.JPG
View Quote

Badass
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Three0h8:
A crush washer away from finally getting this together

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/468563/FAE399BC-6C9B-4D1C-A914-61B5EF2A7C2E_jpe-2766594.JPG
View Quote

Please find a crush washer soon!

Pic for thread:

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Crush washer was acquired

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
16" WOA SPR, Larue Stealth 2.0, AEM5

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bringo:

Pic for thread:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52486212917_d505969194_b.jpg
View Quote
This is one of my favorite rifles on this entire site.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Would this be considered a recce?

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
ACOG Recce

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Here's mine, I recently put a PA Nova, 1-6x on it.  I am pretty impressed with Nova, 1-6x so far!

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
Here's mine, I recently put a PA Nova, 1-6x on it.  I am pretty impressed with Nova, 1-6x so far!

https://i.imgur.com/4cYRQr8.jpg
View Quote

That looks really good, how's the PA 1-6 Nova working out?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Slick paint job.  Nicely done.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ossian:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ossian:

Thanks! It'll do for now. I was experimenting with colors and pattern and made the yellow/green diamonds a little too big and added too much black in the middle I think. I'll redo it later this year, but I just got the scope zeroed and don't feel like starting over.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:20:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#13]
Coolest paint job w/hardware selection I’ve seen in a while. Nice job.

ETA: just saw your response directly above. It’s your rifle, but I wouldn’t change a thing. Looks awesome as is - and it’s definitely unique.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Simple tube and LPVO. A man of taste!

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#16]
Originally Posted By jmh556:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jmh556:

https://i.imgur.com/4cYRQr8.jpg

@jmh556

Thanks! So far the PA Nova has been great.  I've very impressed with what it brings to the table for it's price range.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#17]

@jmh556

So far the PA Nova has been great.  I've very impressed with what it brings to the table for it's price range.
View Quote

That's good to hear that it's working for you. The local shop got one of them in a few weeks ago and I was impressed with the brightness of the dot and the clarity on the glass, as I was looking to pick one up for my son's AR. I should have bought it when I had it in my hand, because a few seconds after I put it down someone else asked to see it and bought it. The shop does have the ACSS reticle version, so I may pick that one up, but won't have the brightness of the Nova. You are right, those scopes do pack some good features for the price that they come in at.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#18]

I have had that rail sitting in my parts bin for way too long.  It's the perfect canvas for a camo paint job.  Now I have some fresh motivation for my next build: modernized KISS rig.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustedAce] [#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Noveske makes a really neat lightweight profile 16" barrel that comes with a mid-length gas system, including block and gas tube.  I thought it was neat because most shorter barrels either are heavier than that, or have the carbine gas system.  

Generally speaking, the longer the gas system, the smoother the rifle will operate.  Much recoil can be controlled by the gas system, buffer weight, recoil spring weight, bolt carrier weight, and muzzle device.  An 18" barrel with the full length adjustable gas system, and many of the other items I mentioned can be made to be very smooth and have very low recoil.  

Muzzle flash is also something else to consider if you will be shooting the rifle at night.  Unless a suppressor is used, generally speaking, the shorter the barrel, the more the muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#21]
Honest opinion needed, would a Precision Reflex Gen 2 Mlok be better than the URX4 for a recce? I'm trying to lose some weight but if the URX4 is the better tube, I may give pause to this.

What I'm thinking of replacing the URX4 13" with: https://www.precisionreflex.com/ar15-octagonal-forearms/705-1636-gen-ii-rifle-length-octagonal-carbon-fiber-forearm-with-m-lok.html#/32-forearm_rail_options-standard_rail_setup/46-forearm_color-natural
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By drewthebrave:

I have had that rail sitting in my parts bin for way too long.  It's the perfect canvas for a camo paint job.  Now I have some fresh motivation for my next build: modernized KISS rig.
View All Quotes

Thank you all for the compliments on that build. I'm honestly shocked y'all like it that much; it's pretty basic, but it does work. Agreed, the ALG V0-Es are great for painting!

I do feel that the lightweight Kahles and the lightweight tube are a waste on this rifle because the barrel is so thicc; Doesn't matter what scope or handguard is on it, it's heavy so it may end up with an G arca rail and Leupold mk5 eventually.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

Who makes the cover for the surefire?

Nevermind, found it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RustedAce:

Pic for thread:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52486212917_d505969194_b.jpg

Who makes the cover for the surefire?

Nevermind, found it.

@RustedAce Yea man, One Hundred Concepts and HRF Concepts make neat stuff.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ArizonaRifleman:
Honest opinion needed, would a Precision Reflex Gen 2 Mlok be better than the URX4 for a recce? I'm trying to lose some weight but if the URX4 is the better tube, I may give pause to this.

What I'm thinking of replacing the URX4 13" with: https://www.precisionreflex.com/ar15-octagonal-forearms/705-1636-gen-ii-rifle-length-octagonal-carbon-fiber-forearm-with-m-lok.html#/32-forearm_rail_options-standard_rail_setup/46-forearm_color-natural
View Quote

I’d keep the URX..in my opinion they are a great rail and completely bulletproof, I’d rather not give that up for a few ounces. Saying that, I do prefer a lighter gun but if u want to sell the URX I’d take it off your hands lol.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:47:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#26]

View Quote

I’m not seeing a weight listed there, but standard PRI handguards are heavy.  The URX 4 is not.  I wouldn’t dream of swapping one of mine out for a PRI handguard, and I’ve got a few spares sitting around.

ETA:  Googling around, like the octoganal PRI MLOK is 11.2oz before you add any pic sections.  You’ll likely be over the weight of the URX 4 before you’re done adding the pic sections you need/want.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drewthebrave] [#27]
View Quote

I LOVE me some PRI handguards - I have the Gen 3 Delta forearm on my Mock 12 SPR, and it is rock solid.  Unfortunately they are heavy, even compared to modern aluminum alternatives.  If you're looking to save weight, Smoke Composites, Coda Evolution, Brigand Arms, Jag Composites, and others are a lot lighter.  I appreciate the thermal properties of carbon handguards when hunting in the snow or long range days under the desert sun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:40:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#28]

I LOVE me some PRI handguards - I have the Gen 3 Delta forearm on my Mock 12 SPR, and it is rock solid.  Unfortunately they are heavy, even compared to modern aluminum alternatives.  If you're looking to save weight, Smoke Composites, Coda Evolution, Brigand Arms, Jag Composites, and others are a lot lighter.  I appreciate the thermal properties of carbon handguards when hunting in the snow or long range days under the desert sun.
View All Quotes

Yeah, when I got around to seeing the weights, I was kind of shocked that my URX4 13" was still lighter than the PRI. Then I remembered that V7 exists and started to look and liked what I had seen so far. Later when I have the coin to spend, I'm going to look for reviews and field reports if any before buying just to be sure. My questions are anti rotation and if it's what I think it is, what receivers could I use or would it have to be a V7 proprietary. Will need to check on flex too as well as durability.

@Molon, could you give a small report since I believe you own one, right?

We wear gloves here in AZ, just one hour on line will get things hot despite the best efforts to shield from heat, plus our sun is quite potent if not lathered up with protection.

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:

https://i.imgur.com/6VWG6tj.jpg
View Quote

Y'know, that Leupold doesn't look as big on that rifle as I thought it might. Nice setup buddy!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 2:45:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#30]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Y'know, that Leupold doesn't look as big on that rifle as I thought it might. Nice setup buddy!
View Quote

Thanks man! Yeah I was pleasantly surprised.

ETA:
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:31:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#31]
Frankenstein Recce 5.56

Attachment Attached File

Upper started life as a PSA Freedom Mid-length 16" free-float MLOK complete upper back in 2015.

BRT 16" OPTIMUM SR CL barrel
PSA BCG and upper small parts
Geissele Mk14 rail and barrel nut
Geissele ACH
YHM Phantom QD FH
Zenitco PERST-4
Surefire M300 (made with parts that were laying around)
Matech rear sight with MBUS Pro front sight
Burris MTAC 1-4x24 in Larue SPR-1.93 QD mount
Slate Black Industries grip panels
Magpul MLOK VFG
Magpul sling/bipod mount
Magpul MLOK 1913 rail
Ferro Concepts QD MLOK sling mount

Mag Tactical Lightweight Lower
CMMG lower parts kit
Larue MBT-2S Trigger
Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch
Radian Ambi Safety
Magpul K2+ Grip
ATI Mil-spec buffer tube
Sprinco Carbine (white) buffer spring
BCM H2 Buffer
B5 Enhanced SOPMOD stock
VTAC sling with Daniel Defense QD sling swivels
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Virginia_Shooter] [#32]
Beginning of my Recce build. Sorry for the shitty lighting in the garage.

BCM 16 inch BFH ELW upper
BCM QRF 12 Rail
BCM complete lower
Larue MBT
B5 Sopmod
Ergo Grip
Vickers Sling
Mis-matched backup irons

I've got some KAC panels and VFG on the way and I'm optic shopping. Even though there's still a good bit of stuff missing, I'm really surprised at how light it feels. Even with the quad rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Virginia_Shooter:

BCM QRF 12 Rail
BCM complete lower
Larue MBT
B5 Sopmod
Ergo Grip
Vickers Sling
Mis-matched backup irons

I've got some KAC panels and VFG on the way and I'm optic shopping. Even though there's still a good bit of stuff missing, I'm really surprised at how light it feels. Even with the quad rail.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438600/IMG_3362_jpeg-2811643.JPG
View Quote

Great looking carbine!  I think the QRF gives it a cool old school vibe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#34]

BCM QRF 12 Rail
BCM complete lower
Larue MBT
B5 Sopmod
Ergo Grip
Vickers Sling
Mis-matched backup irons

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438600/IMG_3362_jpeg-2811643.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:44:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JerseyKev] [#35]
I have a 14.5 (lightweight, not ELW) with the 12" QRF and can't believe how light it is. Your build is looking outstanding. Not sure if the KAC panel locking tabs will fit on the QRF. I searched on it because I remembered seeing:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Rail-covers-for-a-BCM-quad-rail-/118-722791/

I went with Magpul XTs because of the above link.

Please keep us updated on your progress!
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Great looking carbine!  I think the QRF gives it a cool old school vibe.
View Quote

Thanks! I've got some Knights stuff coming to make it into a proper wannabe Mk12.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JerseyKev:
I have a 14.5 (lightweight, not ELW) with the 12" QRF and can't believe how light it is. Your build is looking outstanding. Not sure if the KAC panel locking tabs will fit on the QRF. I searched on it because I remembered seeing:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Rail-covers-for-a-BCM-quad-rail-/118-722791/

I went with Magpul XTs because of the above link.

Please keep us updated on your progress!
View Quote

Interesting. First I've read about this. I've seen some pics of QRF's with the KAC panels on them. Either way I'll know for sure soon I suppose.

Here's one:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Knights VFG and panels finally arrived. As it so happens, the rail panels don’t lock up as normal like an above poster said. However, once you slide them in place, you can lightly pull up on the locking tab causing one or both of the ends of the tab to “jump the track” so to speak, lodging itself in between the rail segments, and effectively locking it in place. (It certainly helps that the panels are already a tight fit on the rail) they’re solid and have virtually no back or forth movement. Super happy with the Mk12 vibes.

I was also able to source a Razor HD Gen 2 1-6 in a Badger C1 mount on the EE, so that should arrive this week. Still need to grab a Harris and ADM QD mount for it, but the hardest parts are done. Can’t wait to shoot this thing.

Rifle as it sits:
Attachment Attached File

And my incoming optic/mount:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Knights VFG and panels finally arrived. As it so happens, the rail panels don’t lock up as normal like an above poster said. However, once you slide them in place, you can lightly pull up on the locking tab causing one or both of the ends of the tab to “jump the track” so to speak, lodging itself in between the rail segments, and effectively locking it in place. (It certainly helps that the panels are already a tight fit on the rail) they’re solid and have virtually no back or forth movement. Super happy with the Mk12 vibes.

I was also able to source a Razor HD Gen 2 1-6 in a Badger C1 mount on the EE, so that should arrive this week. Still need to grab a Harris and ADM QD mount for it, but the hardest parts are done. Can’t wait to shoot this thing.

Rifle as it sits:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438600/IMG_3403_jpeg-2815646.JPG

And my incoming optic/mount:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438600/IMG_3380_png-2815647.JPG
View Quote

I need to upgrade my old MTAC. I want a finer reticle and more magnification would be nice, too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks bad ass! Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:46:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Virginia_Shooter] [#41]
Optic and mount arrived today. I’m in love. Just missing a bipod.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Thanks! It'll do for now. I was experimenting with colors and pattern and made the yellow/green diamonds a little too big and added too much black in the middle I think. I'll redo it later this year, but I just got the scope zeroed and don't feel like starting over.
View Quote

Fuck no! Leave that shit alone. It's as badass as it can possibly get. From here you'd just fuck it up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438600/IMG_3424_jpeg-2817873.JPG
View Quote

That's awesome, I am happy that I was able to help you out in this journey of yours.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#44]

That's awesome, I am happy that I was able to help you out in this journey of yours.
View Quote

The rail makes it. Just wouldn’t be the same without it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#45]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/438600/IMG_3424_jpeg-2817873.JPG
View Quote

That's a really nice setup, kudos man!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Thinking about taking my PLX-C 1-8 off my 14.5 Recce and putting it on my 12.5, and putting the GLX 2.5-10 on my 14.5. Anyone have experience with the GLX 2.5-10?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's my go to with a 16" Criterion Core barrel that probably falls into the RECCE Category. 8lbs 10oz with an empty mag in it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Great looking setups. Is that the noveske 18" 6arc barrel? If not, what are you running?

How are you liking a long(ish) barrel 6mm arc setup? IMO, it seems like literally the perfect round for an SPR type of ar15 build. I'd love to hear your experience with your setup and how it's been going.

Page / 219
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top