Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2006 8:28:14 AM EDT
I appreciate everyone here helping me build up my first AR.  I just have a few questions now.  

I'm planning on hitting the range soon to test fire.  

Any ideas on lube ?  I'm just using CLI and Miltec for now.  Should I clean the barrel before hand ?

Any specific tools I should bring to the range, in case it needs adjustment ?  I assume sight tool.  

I'm stocking up on all kinds of ammo right now to try.  

Are there any advantages os using 20rnd vs 30 rnd  magazines ?  

Thanks again !
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine was dead on after I assembled it STag 15. as for 20 and 30's 20's are easy shooting from the bench. 30's are ammo whores
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't shoot my AR from a bench so I just use the 30's.

Running  a boresnake through the barrel beforehand couldn't hurt.  Might as well get one for quick cleanings.  Old toothbrushes are handy for cleaning as well.  

What did you build?  Specs? Pics?  

As far as the ammo, keep an eye out for certain brands that have less than stellar histories.  Check the ammunition forum for specifics.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have any parts that might have packing grease still in them you want to make sure all that shit is cleaned out.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I stay away from lube that has teflon.

Everybody and their red headed step-brother has a break in procedure.

Is this going to be a blaster or do you want some amount of accuracy? Cruise the Net and find a barrel breakin procedure that agrees with you.

It may or may not make a difference (depends on who you ask). It won't hurt, and its agood way to pace yourself through the sight-in phase.

Mag capacity does not matter at the range, unless unless there is a race for most rounds wasted. If you hit center of mass with 1 shot smoothly and with speed, (head is better) instead of 1 "I hit it....!!!" out of 5. Well that's what it's all about...

Shoot different positions, single/double tap, change distance (after zero), multi targets. Do what you need to be comfortable shooting (and hitting with) your weapon at a distance you can hit every time, from 15 yds to your max (100, 200 whatever).

H*** Crap, Sorry for the soap box tour. This kinda got away from me. I'm on the back deck and the birds are singing, Pass the Ammunition!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks i appreciate the help !!!!!!!  

I guesss I'll clean everythign out one time and lube it all back up..can;t hurt.  and a snake for sure.  

Now, time to buy lots of ammo !!!  I'm a whore u know
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top