Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/9/2006 4:09:12 AM EDT
Started cleaning my rifle last night, to get ready for the range this morning, and somehow the cleaning patch and flex rod become lodge in the barrel. I can't seem to make it budge.

Anyone have any idea on how to clear the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:10:56 AM EDT
same thing happened to me, I just had to pull really hard and they came out. might even take 2 people. I separated the upper from the lower (I was by myself) and it was a bitch but it eventually came loose. no damage to the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:13:08 AM EDT
Was the patch to big perhaps?

I agree a good strong pull should get it out of there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:37:38 AM EDT
Maybe drive it out from the opposite end with a 3/16" dowel? Just a thought.

M.L.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:51:06 AM EDT
Make a "T" handle and screw it into the free end.

Stand on the "T" and pull up on the barrel HARD. It WILL come out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:57:42 AM EDT
Send some CLP down there & let it set for a few minutes. Pull. Either go to the range or go to the gym until it comes out. -Justin
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:07:45 AM EDT
Either your patch was too big, or you got it partway down the barrel and started pulling the opposite direction, most likely.

Put a big block of wood on the floor and smack the end of the bore rod against it hard. As in hold it above the wood, and with some force and using both hands, drive the rod into the wood. Ought to get it out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:37:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By billclo:

Put a big block of wood on the floor and smack the end of the bore rod against it hard. As in hold it above the wood, and with some force and using both hands, drive the rod into the wood. Ought to get it out.

Probably not if the "flex rod" is an Otis kit rod. Not sure which "flex rod" he is using, but this wouldn't work with the Otis.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:39:51 PM EDT
Separate uppe rand lower receivers, and use a hammer. take off patch and pull back through.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:50:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EntryTac:

Originally Posted By billclo:

Probably not if the "flex rod" is an Otis kit rod. Not sure which "flex rod" he is using, but this wouldn't work with the Otis.

Whoops, you're right. Missed the flex rod part.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:40:45 PM EDT
thanks everyone, ended up DESTROYING my USGI cleaning rod by hammering the mess out of the barrel. Now I just hope that I didn't do any damage to the grooves in the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 3:43:25 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]
That happened to me, and it was a pretty shitty feeling.

If you have a GI flex snake with the unscrewable bits on each end, tiwst the flex rod/snake until it becomes free. (Unscrewing it from the stuck tip)

Now you're stuck with only the patch and loop/tip in the bore. That can easily be knocked out with a rod carefully from the muzzle end.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:54:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Opey: Now I just hope that I didn't do any damage to the grooves in the barrel.

Thats why I buy all my upper's "grooveless" that way I don't have to worry about destroying them. Besides without grooves in the barrel it makes the bullet tumble when you shoot your weapon, making it more effective in a fire fight....

Just jokin' man, glad to hear you got it out of there, I did the same thing while moose hunting on the Kobuk River. I was about 100 miles from anything that you would consider civilizaton, when I stuck the barrel of my Browning .338 in the sand. I stuck a piece of rope (forgot cleaning kit) down the barrel and ran it through a few times but couldn't get the sand out of the rifling. Then I tied a piece of toilet paper to the end of the rope. It went through the first time and got lodged on the second pass. I tied the end of the rope to a tree and pulled like my life depended on it but it wouldn't come free. Just so happens there was a cabin about a 1/2 mile down river so I stopped there and searched for anything, a clothes hanger, dow rod, anything. Just before I left I opened a drawer and found an auger bit that was exactly the same size and length of my barrel. I cut the rope and slowly, by hand, twisted the rope out. I would pull the bit out cut all the pieces of rope off and do it all over. After a couple of hours I made it down to the plug, I gently tapped the bit with a hammer and the plug fell out. Then I used the cabin owner's gun cleaning kit to clean my rifle, left a very nice thank you note and finished the hunt. To this day, I carry a Otis cleaning kit and a bunch of steel cleaning rods whenever I go hunting.

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:42:05 PM EDT
What are the chances of this damaging the barrel? What kind of damage would be caused and how would you tell?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:59:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ICU:
Send some CLP down there & let it set for a few minutes. Pull. Either go to the range or go to the gym until it comes out. -Justin

(That's funny)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:10:55 AM EDT
Sorry ICU, neglected to respond to your comment regarding " ...go to the gym until it comes out. -Justin"

Silly me, I only go to the gym 4 times a week and take a martial arts class 3 times a week. I guess I'm not actually working hard enough when I'm there

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:38:08 AM EDT
The patch didn't get stuck in the vicinity of the gas port, did it? I've felt patches drag when passing that spot.
Moon
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:47:27 AM EDT
Get yourself one of these
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:50:05 AM EDT
Be a man and shoot it out. That's what I do. And that's why they call me 'Lefty'.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:58:51 AM EDT
BORESNAKE..no patches needed.
Top Top