Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2006 2:44:04 PM EDT
 I only have 100 rounds through my AR-15 and when I removed the bolt cam I noticed it had some wear on it. I figure some wear would be normal since it is a moving part but I can actually feel the wear with my finger nail. The worn area is rough. The slot that the cam rides in looks ok.
 The gun is only a week old. Is this uncommon? Do I need to send it in or can the manufacturer just send me replacement parts?

UPDATE:
 Upon closer inspection of the carrier, I noticed a small burr which appears to be the cause of the problem. It is shown by the arrow.
Since the gun is so new I won't even touch it (Dremel). I'll wait for the manufacturer to review the situationon Monday.

If the carrier and cam pin need replacement, does the whole rifle need to be sent in or can they just send me the parts? I'm not sure about
matching parts to the gun or whatever or if the manufacturer does something special when replacing a carrier, etc.

http://home.wi.rr.com/jeepdirectory/Burr.jpg

here is a link to a picture of it (I hope it works).
http://home.wi.rr.com/jeepdirectory/IMG_3288.JPG
http://home.wi.rr.com/jeepdirectory/IMG_3288.JPG
Don

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Your hardcoat looks pretty worn.  Buy a new one that is fully coated liberally and make sure that its lubed up really well.  If it isnt lubed then your cam pin will wear just as much as it already has.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Shouldn't this be under warrenty since it's only a week old???
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Something is definitely wrong there!  I wouldn't fire it until I had it looked at.

What kind of camera do have?  I need to get a new one and your close-up pics look fabulous!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you wiped your bolt and cam pin off before taking the picture, both parts look very very dry.  Both need liberal amounts of CLP, just don't get any on the bolt face.

If it bothers you, cam pins are cheap, and this one can become your spare.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I sprayed them down with a degreaser before the picture. If I put a new cam pin in, will the new one look like this one after another 100 rounds? Maybe this pin wasn't hardened properly???

The camera I used is a Canon PowerShot S200 (couple years old) and I hit the 'macro' button so it would focus with the camera held 6 inches from the parts.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are Colt (new above, 2K rounds fired below), Bushmaster (2K), and chrome from SAW (new above & 5K FA out of 10"-14.5" M4 uppers below) cam pins for comparison. Pic shows side of pins showing heavier wear. Personally, I would not be comfortable with your cam pin wear at such an early round-count and would pick up a USGI replacement.
                                                              HTH,
                                                               Carey
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
That is way way too much wear for 200 Rounds. Have the Gun Checked out before you shoot it again!
Remember if that pin breaks Your gun can KABOOM!
How does the Bolt & carrier Look?
What is the make of the Rifle?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Where would USGI parts be available from?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
 The bolt looks fine. The carrier has shows some slight wear - i.e. shiny areas. The cam pin has the worst wear. I don't plan on firing it until I hear back from RRA.

Could the cam pin and bolt carrier be replaced to fix the problem? Maybe the groove in the carrier has a rough spot that is causing the wear.

http://home.wi.rr.com/jeepdirectory/IMG_3289.JPG

Don
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Guys, help a newbie out please. Which part of the bolt is the face?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#11]
specializedarmament.com carries the parked Colt and the chrome cam pin in my photo. Or just buy from a USGI surplus dealer you trust.
                                                                      HTH,
                                                                       Carey
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Guys, help a newbie out please. Which part of the bolt is the face?

Where the base of the cartidges (bullets) sit. You don't have to worry about getting any CLP on there,  just wipe it off before putting things back together or it could get on a primer and cause a misfire. Always wipe any CLP out of your chamber also.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The cam pin deserves a generous amount of lube. Most likely you didn’t lube it enough that first time out. I think it will be fine, I’ve seen worse. Here are a couple of my cam pins:

This is after at least 5000 -6000rds. I lost count.

This is after about 500 rds, with a new cam pin for comparison.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks HP40 hug.gif
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with QUIB. The cam pin is one of the few parts on an AR that I use grease on. Plastilube works for me because it stays where you put it even when it gets hot.
                                                                               HTH,
                                                                               Carey
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#16]
All I had on it was CLP.

Don
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:48:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Guys, After 100 rounds, Greased or Bone dry! a cam pin should not look like that!
I only use CLP (And very little) on my ARs, I have guns with over 5K rounds fired that have cam pins with much much less wear than that.
He is doing the right thing by contacting RRA before firing it again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#19]
+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I also prefer to use Lubriplate/Plastilube on the cam pin and CLP everywhere else.

The cam pin is a pretty inexpensive part that sees alot of wear and tear; It's no big deal to replace it every couple of thousand rounds if it needs it or not if it would make you feel better !
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is the worst side of the one from my new ArmaLite after approx 80 rnds.  I can catch my fingernail on the worn spot.  I also cleaned and lubed everything before firing and noticed some wear here then.  Besides the ArmaLite test fire I wonder if the gunsmith I bought it from test fired it too, maybe I'll ask him.  Just looks like some sharp edges wearing in to me.  I wont be too worried unless it really starts digging a groove in it.
ETA:Just saw your update Donny.  My bolt carrier is smooth, and just shows very light even wear in the area that would match the pin wear, I'm not worried.  Like everything else, I will just check it each time I clean it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#22]
This shit is the reason I like to use USGI or Colt parts, Barrels, Bolts, Carriers, Cams ,Etc...  , It does not pay to go with a part that is not properly tested !
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This shit is the reason I like to use USGI or Colt parts, Barrels, Bolts, Carriers, Cams ,Etc...  , It does not pay to go with a part that is not properly tested !

They must have just started a new spec to test cam pins.........

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top