Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2006 8:27:28 AM EDT
A co-worker of mine has what appears to be an older Colt brand AR-15.  Its marked "COLT AR-15" on the side and  I do have a serial number. there is NO foward assist on the weapon. It does have a bayonet lug and a Flash Suppresor on it. it has the folding stock on it as well. Can anyone tell me its value and approximate age? He wishes to sell it off. I can provide a serial number.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The folding stock is a shiny black color and the term "green box" was mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Folding stock, or collapsible?

Does it have a brass deflector?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#3]
colapsing stock... the one you see on ar15's alot. sorry for my lack of knowlege. I didnt notice what I would term a brass deflector. the barrel is somewhat short,  maybe 18 inches or so?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at this thread: jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=267251 to see all  the FINE EXCELLENT information you miss out on WHEN YA DON'T BOTHER TO REVIEW THE TACKED THREADS ABOVE, and at the tops of other forums.

Mike

eta - sorry got the wrong one at first, this is one ya need.....duuuhhhhhh sorry that ain't the one I was wanting either......, heck just look it up for yourself as there's some really good "variation" threads tacked above (hope it ain't the where the link is dead..)

collapsible stcok one is Mod. R6001

see at this link: www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants/
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Mr Wilson im sorry if this is irritaing you but feel free to tune out of this thread. I dont have much knowlege  on theese weapons, so im asking here. Im at work and compared it to our SERT teams M4's and its different. Im just trying to get some info here since im stuck on desk duty todayserial number SP193221
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Forgive mr_wilsons anger....

The brass deflector is a little nub on the upper rcv'r just aft of the ejection port so that the brass doesn't come back to hit the shooter.

The design is great, it usually sends it down the back of the neck of the guy next to on the line.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]
He is selling it and was talking 1500 bucks. Just wondering if its worth it. Im trying to find out if this is a desirable model and how old it may be.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mr Wilson im sorry if this is irritaing you but feel free to tune out of this thread. I dont have much knowlege  on theese weapons, so im asking here. Im at work and compared it to our SERT teams M4's and its different. Im just trying to get some info here since im stuck on desk duty today

serial number SP193221

Guess I shouldn't have bothered. Next time I won't.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Jesus , whats your hostility all about? hanks

im hoping someone can see what I posted and just tell me what it is and possibly what it would be worth.. I surely didnt come here to have an online pissing match with some angry individual.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#10]

I agree.

You are doing the right thing, asking.

Are you able to get a picture and post it. That will help out tons.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't sweat it. There are a lot of very nice folks here, who are willing to help, without chewing your ass, for not researching. From your post count, I would guess you don't have a lot of knowledge of what is on this site. There are answers to most all questions, as they have usually been asked beore. Your question seems  sort of unique, I don't know. Don't worry about the rude responses, and stick around, someone will chime in with what you need before long..........Treeman
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Boy, this is a lot of fuss over a simple question.

Your friend has a Colt SP1.  They were made from 1963 up to about 1986 or so.  None of them had a forward assist, none of them had a case deflector.  They came in both rifle and carbine variants.  I cannot comment on value.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the reassurance guys...I clicked off 2 pics of it just now, when i get off shift I'll go home and post them up so you can see what it is..
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
thanks for the reassurance guys...I clicked off 2 pics of it just now, when i get off shift I'll go home and post them up so you can see what it is..

Sounds like your friend has an SP1 carbine, or possibly an SP2.  The serial # should start w/SP, collapsible stock, and a 16 inch barrel  If the stock is plastic covered metal it could be wither a 1 or a 2.  If the stock is plastic then it's a late 2 model.

$1500 would have been a decent price back when the ban was in place, but is unrealistically high in the current market.  If the thing is approximately in new shape, I wouldn't think you could go much beyond $1100. And start deducting for increasing signs of use.  I've seen them for $800-900 here in Georgia, in top shape, in the past year or so; but geographic location does play a part in what a given piece will bring.

Sorry I can't be more precise on the value thing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#15]
You also might want to visit the Colt section in the Industry Forums.  A lot of hard-core Colt collectors there that might have better value/pricing information.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#16]
tagged for pics.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top