Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/6/2006 2:03:07 PM EDT
I have a 16 BM M4gery that I picked up a couple months ago and finaly this last weekend i was able to finaly"pop her cherry".
I put 500 rds.*100 wolf!*without a single hickup.Anyways,I was pretty tired by the time I got home and said I`ll just clean when I wake up.
I get up the next day*monday*and stripper her down and went to town.Then I noticed I had 2 small rust spots on FH.And theyre directly top and bottom from eachother.So i soak the hell out of the 2 spots with some break free,let her sit over night,then soaked it again and let it set over night.Well last night,I put some more BF on and then took my brass brush to it and it didn`t realy seem to do any good.Theyre still there,not as noticable,but still there.Now my question is,should i keep trying to get ride of the surface rust or just say screw it and toss a new FH on.I have 3 others layin around which are new.
Thanks
D
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:04:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 2:05:18 PM EDT by DevL]
Why would you want to put a new flash hider on your rifle? Will you replace it with a new one every shooting session? Do you put felt tape on your brass deflector?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:06:30 PM EDT
And some guys thought I was a clean freak!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:22:38 PM EDT
First time I took my AR out Coyote hunting it was in a damp and swampy area. Next morning I noticed that several rollpins and the allen screw for the ambi safety had rusted a little. I could care less. It is a gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:35:22 PM EDT
Well I guess that answers my question ahahaha
Funny thing is,it wasn`t raining or anything like that,So no idea what would have caused it
And nope,theres no tape on my deflector.The brass markings kinda give it a more "rustic look"ahahahaha
Thanks for the input fellaws.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:51:33 PM EDT
Easy way to get rid of that surface corrosion is to use a green scouring pad and silicone oil; the scouring pad will get it off without being too abusive on the parkerizing, then the silicone oil, worked into the metal will keep corrosion off.

It works great, you should try it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:44:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DevL:
Why would you want to put a new flash hider on your rifle? Will you replace it with a new one every shooting session? Do you put felt tape on your brass deflector?

Tape LOL!

My bushmaster has alot of rounds fired! the Brass scrubs off with tooth brush?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:14:35 AM EDT
Some of the A2 flash suppressors I've seen over in Iraq no longer have any of the manganese phosphate finish.
Top Top