Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2006 9:02:53 AM EDT
I am looking to buy a new rifle, and since I dont know much about the ar, i was wondering if you can take off the front sight of the gun. my plan would to get one of those cool quad rail type things and get the front sight out of the way, do they come off? i have been searching and cant find anything.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Stick around, do some reading of the tacked topics atop most of the forums, you'll find that you don't have to purchase an AR15 w/ the standard FSB and that there are several dealers (see Industry Forum) around here that'll build your upper the way ya want it.......

Welcome aboard,

Mike

ETA - BTW, lots of information in of all places above under the INFORMATION button
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup.  You just have to replace it with a gas block to hold the gas tube in place.  Or you can get a railed one, and put a flip-up front sight on it.

Look around on here.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#4]

they do come off, but they can be a huge PITA. remember also, that the front sight on an AR is also a part of the gas system. without the front sight base, the gasses will just vent to atmosphere and the gun will not cycle as a semi-auto.

the front sight would have to be replaced by a low-profile gas block, of which there are many.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You can always buy an upper without a front sight and buy a detachable one if needed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
cool looks like i have lots of options, just need more money lol, when my tax return gets here I can start.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
DSG Arms has some Armalite uppers with a railed gas block instead of the normal sight tower. You can attach a flip up sight to the rail and have a clear view through your optic. (They also have the complete rifles if you don't build your own).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't need to remove the front sight.  Most modern configurations work fine with the sight in place.  Try it before you waste the time and money for something you don't need or want.  You should always have irons to fall back on if other scopes fail anyway.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top