Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/6/2006 6:09:27 AM EDT
I'm sure this has probably been answered on here a million times, and i'm over looking it but....
I am looking at an AR-15, but was told that it has a M-16 carrier. I know you can't have any M-16 lower parts without it being registered as such, but does the M-16 carrier make this gun in violation. Thanks for your help. I just want to be able to shoot it and not have to worry.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:39:04 AM EDT
Your fine. Now go shoot some squirrels... nasty buggers
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:52:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 6:52:45 AM EDT by DK-Prof]
Techncially, my understanding of the ATF is that you cannot have sufficient parts in it (or readily at hand) to make it FIRE full-auto. So in an abstract theoretical sense, any and all parts are fine, as long as at least one critical component is missing.

However - the consensus seems to be that it is generally a bad idea to start installing full-auto fire control parts (even if not enough are installed for full-auto operation), because the ATF could start to argue that it is sufficiently easy to drill a small hole and drop in one more simple part - or something like that.

However, the M16 carrier is very common-place, and the ATF has written at least one formal opinion/ruling that says it is okay. Several manufactures (including Colt) regularly ship semi-auto AR rifles with M16 carriers.

So the carrier is fine - just don't get any other full auto parts to install or have lying around your house, next to your drill press.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:02:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JudgeAndJury:
I'm sure this has probably been answered on here a million times

Nope! But it has been answered 87 times!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:47:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:09:27 AM EDT
Thanks for the help. I'll just get the rifle and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:26:58 AM EDT
There's a whole long thread over in the legal section on the subject:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=147440
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:06:30 AM EDT
Thanks for the link. I'm glad this thread didn't turn into the "shit storm" that went on there. I guess I should have searched and read more before posting, instead of being lazy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:16:47 AM EDT
i have two factory colt 9mm ars and both of them have full auto bolt carriers in them
Top Top