Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 10:23:40 PM EDT
I would like to purchase a .22lr upper conversion kit so that I can get more trigger time. I have searched here and on google yet I could not come up with anything substantial. I thought that I remember reading something on here about a conversion kit.

Do you guys have any leads or experience with them?

James
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe most would agree on this being the best,

http://www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com/KPF%20.22%20upper%20price%20lists.htm

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Model "1" Sales has them too
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
i have a 22 converson kit that just brops in just like ths 223 bolt carrier it workes just fine for me
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#4]
what all does the conversion kit come with?  I saw one and it only had the bolt carrier assembly?  how close is the barrel diameter?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a flat top M4 type complete DPMS upper in .22.  I bought it post-ban config and had ADCO cut it and perm affix a Phantom...I love it!
Only down side is that DPMS is having delays getting out mags that hold more than 10 rounds...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I believe most would agree on this being the best,

www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com/KPF%20.22%20upper%20price%20lists.htm

A lot of people would say this one is better:
www.compasslake.com/22uppers.htm

Rick's are a better value if you don't need the super match accuracy though.

There are two basic ".22 conversions" out there--drop-in bolt replacements and complete uppers.

In the drop-in kits the two main ones are the Ciener and the M-261.  There are also the Air Force M-261, the Colt, and the DPMS which I think is a copy of the Colt.  All work by replacing the bolt carrier with a chamber adapter that fits into the .223 chamber, some form of rails, and a bolt that cycles inside the upper receiver.  Break it open, remove the bolt carrier, drop kit in, and you're set.  Switching back is the same, plus a good cleaning of the inside of the receiver and the bore.  (The gas tube blows stuff all over the inside of the receiver.)

All use different magazines and only the Ciener has hi-caps until DPMS starts shipping theirs.  Only Ciener works with full-auto.  Only Air Force will lock the bolt open on last round.  

I have a Ciener and it works OK though it took a little break-in to get it running good.  Some people have more trouble than others getting theirs to run.   I've heard similar things about the M-261 and the the others.  Once you get them tweaked they all work OK.  

Accuracy is only so-so on the drop-ins because of a combination of the bullet having to travel almost 2" before jumping to the rifling, the bore being slightly oversize, and the twist rate being much faster than optimal.  OK for plinking, but don't expect it to shoot as well as a stock 10/22.

Figure $130-200 for the kit depending on exact model and magazines.

For complete uppers the main ones are the DPMS (they make at least 3 versions), the Bushmaster, the CZ, and the various custom or semi-custom ones.  Kurt's Kustom Firearms, Kuehl Precision (linked above), Accuracy Speaks, and Compass Lake (also linked above) all make them.  Somebody said Model 1 has some and I think Fulton Armory has some too.  All have barrels that are the right bore size and twist rate for .22LR, all use some variation of the drop-in kit for the bolt, and all but KKF chamber the .22LR round directly to the barrel.  

KKF can use any kit, KPF uses Ciener, AS uses Ciener or M-261, CLE uses M-261.  Don't know about M1 or FA.  CZ has its own bolt.  CZ has side charger, all the rest use normal AR uppers.  Prices range from ~$300 for CZ to $400-600 for DPMS/KKF/KPF/BM, to $800-1000+ for AS & CLE.  Accuracy ranges from at least as good as a 10/22, to better than most cheap bolt-actions, to as good as you can afford.  

Main advantage of the complete uppers is that they're more accurate and they stay cleaner.  Main disadvantage is that they need their own rails, optics, etc. if you're trying to match them exactly to the .223 version.  And they're more expensive.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i have a 22 converson kit that just brops in just like ths 223 bolt carrier it workes just fine for me

How is the accuracy and range? The twist of a 5.56/.223 (1-7 to 1-9) is quite different from a .22LR dedicated barrel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I like to build stuff. I've modified a couple fo 10/22 barrels to fit an AR15 upper with minor welding and machine work. They use the Ciener kit with a Kuehl chamber adapter. The neat thing is that  almost any barrel profile that you can visualize can be cut into them. Any combo of free float or standard hand guards or sights. I profiled one down to a very skinny light diameter barrel, then put a polished 1" aluminum  "jacket over it. It looks like a heavy bull barrel, but is light as a feather.

I don't have a way to post pictures, but maybe soon I will.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like to build stuff. I've modified a couple fo 10/22 barrels to fit an AR15 upper with minor welding and machine work. They use the Ciener kit with a Kuehl chamber adapter. The neat thing is that  almost any barrel profile that you can visualize can be cut into them. Any combo of free float or standard hand guards or sights. I profiled one down to a very skinny light diameter barrel, then put a polished 1" aluminum  "jacket over it. It looks like a heavy bull barrel, but is light as a feather.

Pics?  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top