Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/2/2006 8:01:23 PM EDT
Going to place an order with Brownells. What length rod do I need for my 16" AR using a bore guide? Should I just get an extra long one for future 20"ers maybe?

I just want to make sure it's going to clear the muzzle with the guide. they offer 24, 36, 40, and 44 inches.

www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5641&title=COATED+RODS
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:04:54 PM EDT
36 inch will be plenty long. 24 may be a tad short.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:07:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ch0wd3r:
36 inch will be plenty long. 24 may be a tad short.

Yeah I figured I should probably go with at least 26". That'll work with a 20" AR correct?

Gonna wait for a few more opinions before I order. What do you guys recommend for a bore guide?

I have a Otis bore snake buttstock kit, but I figured it would be MUCH easier using a rod, especially with a jag for patches instead of attaching them to a loop and pulling it through.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:14:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 8:24:35 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]
Actually, I'm going to order it right from Dewey. Same exact price for the rod, and cheap shipping.

What do you guys think? Anything I should add or change?

ETA - Are these chamber mops any good?

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=18227&title=M16%2fAR-15%2fAR-10+CHAMBER+MOP&s=42163#42163
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:30:43 PM EDT
Skip buying a rod and get a bore snake- much easier and works great with Hoppes

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:37:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 8:42:09 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]

Originally Posted By SpookyJD:

I have a bore snake. The rod and jag is MUCH easier than to keep threading patches through the loop and pulling through. Also much cleaner using a chamber guide. I get Hoppes everywhere when I use my bore snake.

By the way, placed an order for hte Dewey chamber guide, Dewey 36" rod, and 3 pack of chamber mops to go along with the chamber brush I have. Should make lubing the lugs much easier. Came to like $62

ETA - This is the kit I currently use. cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6608001247&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:41:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4A1OwnsYou:

I have a bore snake. The rod and jag is MUCH easier than to keep threading patches through the loop and pulling through. Also much cleaner using a chamber guide. I get Hoppes everywhere when I use my bore snake.

By the way, placed an order for hte Dewey chamber guide, Dewey 36" rod, and 3 pack of chamber mops to go along with the chamber brush I have. Should make lubing the lugs much easier. Came to like $62

You use patches with your boresnake? I thought the idea was that it was the patch.

BTW M4A1, you are my favorite guy on this board b/c you ask just about every question I ever have, so I never have to step up
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:43:04 PM EDT
Like everything else, everyone has their personal preference. I usually shoot 3-5 guns when I go out, so I have a lot of cleaning to do afterwards. For me, a bore snake, hoppes, and break free does the job.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:43:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phoebus:

You use patches with your boresnake? I thought the idea was that it was the patch.

BTW M4A1, you are my favorite guy on this board b/c you ask just about every question I ever have, so I never have to step up

Haha, not the one I have. It has threads at each end that you screw the loops and brushes onto. See link above.

I have a bore snake for my 10/22. It's the shoe lace looking thing, but how well does that work compared to patches? Shouldn't it have to be cleaned often as well?

And thanks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:49:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phoebus:

Haha, not the one I have. It has threads at each end that you screw the loops and brushes onto. See link above.

I have a bore snake for my 10/22. It's the shoe lace looking thing, but how well does that work compared to patches? Shouldn't it have to be cleaned often as well?

And thanks.

I use a Hoppes brand boresnake, which has the built-in bore brush. I guess it could be the shoelace-type you are talking about. I use Hoppes No. 9 and run it down the barrel three times as my normal after-range cleaning, and it works great. Every month or so I do a down-and-dirty detail cleaning, which is when I use a rod and jag.

To wash the boresnake I throw it in a delicate garment bag and toss it in the washing machine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 8:54:24 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]
This is the boresnake I use on my 10/22.

One string with a weight and brush. The other with a weight and shoe-lace-like thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22700&item=7193962475

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:54:09 PM EDT
It is also recommended that you run the bore snake through your gun one day after you clean it, without adding more hoppes to the snake. I also wash the snake after every 10-12 uses and it comes out of the washer looking like new.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:55:28 PM EDT

It is also recommended that you run the bore snake through your gun one day after you clean it, without adding more hoppes to the snake. I also wash the snake after every 10-12 uses and it comes out of the washer looking like new.

Why is that? My snake doesn't have a brush, just the shoe lace. After cleaning with a rod, just run that through it the next day?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:59:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 9:00:40 PM EDT by Phoebus]

This is the boresnake I use on my 10/22.

One string with a weight and brush. The other with a weight and shoe-lace-like thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22700&item=7193962475

i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/54/98/14_1_b.JPG

The Hoppes boresnake is basically the same thing but with the parts combined. The brush is integrated into the rope at the weighted end, so that the brush goes through, then the thicker area. According the the company it has 160x the surface area of a patch, so in theory it ought to do a good job, and in my experience it does. I would say you can use the one you us on your .22 just fine.

ETA: Good choice on the rod, to get back to the original topic
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:00:24 PM EDT
My bore snake has the brush built in to the rope, with the shoe lace looking thing as a leader. Running it through the next day is suppose to pick up any left over residue that may form over night. I first bought a bore snake for my Sig228 and liked it so much that I now have one for every caliber gun that I own.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:05:03 PM EDT
Curious- what do you lubricate your gun with? Besides using break free I also use hoppes gun oil. Any better suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 9:07:53 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]
I just use CLP. Hoppes #9 to clean the bore, and then CLP to clean and lube everything else.

For the 10/22 I use CLP or Hoppes on the bore, and that's about it. I just clean the rest with cue tips in and around the action. Maybe a light light coat of CLP.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:10:35 PM EDT
Just curious- thanks. I go through a TON of q-tips. I have 7 more days to shoot again and then I am headed back to the desert. Need to lube up my guns before I leave!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 9:13:29 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]

Just curious- thanks. I go through a TON of q-tips. I have 7 more days to shoot again and then I am headed back to the desert. Need to lube up my guns before I leave!

Haha man I have like a 500ct box of them. I use a TON as well, between the AR and the 10/22.

Good luck in the desert. Stay alive.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:14:50 PM EDT
Thanks- I was planning on retiring in July, but that plan didn't work out in my favor.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:18:16 PM EDT
The 36" should work fine w/ the guide & a 20" bbl.

I threw my rods and stuff in the trash and got an Otis 5.56/.223 kit and use it on my AR and 10/22.
Otis cables are the way to go, for me. But as always YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:20:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 9:23:56 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]

Originally Posted By RRA-A2:

I threw my rods and stuff in the trash and got an Otis 5.56/.223 kit and use it on my AR and 10/22.

Give me some reasons why you like your Otis cable, because I have one.

It just seems to me that pushing a rod through the bore guide is cleaner and more efficient, but I have no plans whatsoever on getting rid of my Otis cable or my Knockout Bore Snake.

The cable is nice for quick cleaning at the range, but when I have the time, I'd rather sit there with a rod and do it that way.

ETA - How often do you guys clean your boresnakes since they probably pick up and drag alot of fouling through the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:21:17 PM EDT

Thanks- I was planning on retiring in July, but that plan didn't work out in my favor.

Haha. It never does with the military.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:49:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 2:54:27 AM EDT by RRA-A2]

It just seems to me that pushing a rod through the bore guide is cleaner and more efficient, but I have no plans whatsoever on getting rid of my Otis cable or my Knockout Bore Snake.

The cable is nice for quick cleaning at the range, but when I have the time, I'd rather sit there with a rod and do it that way.

ETA - How often do you guys clean your boresnakes since they probably pick up and drag alot of fouling through the barrel?

I have this kit:

I like it because its a strong, simple pull through cable, that accepts jags/patches/brushes just like a cleaning rod does. Easily clean from chamber to muzzle w/o having to pull anything back through...so I guess you could say its faster.

It works great on my 10/22 because I can clean from chamber to muzzle without having to remove the bbl. from the action or drill a "cleaning hole" in my reciever.

It fits in a small zipper case too, easily fits in my toolbox.

But, JMHO

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:56:58 AM EDT

I have this kit:
www.otisgun.com/photo/184.jpg

I like it because its a strong, simple pull through cable, that accepts jags/patches/brushes just like a cleaning rod does. Easily clean from chamber to muzzle w/o having to pull anything back through...so I guess you could say its faster.

It works great on my 10/22 because I can clean from chamber to muzzle without having to remove the bbl. from the action or drill a "cleaning hole" in my reciever.

It fits in a small zipper case too, easily fits in my toolbox.

But, JMHO

Basically the same kit I have. I just think the rod is much easier for patch/drying use at the end. It's way easier, and a little better with a jag in my opinion, to just push it through and pull it back through since the jag wont really touch the bore.

It's definitely a nice kit. It's harder to keep crap out of the action though, so instead of a soaking patch, I just run a mop full of Hoppes through it since its not as messy. Then pull the brush through a couple times.

As you were saying, it's neat because both ends of the snake/flex rod are interchangable with standard cleaning pieces.
Top Top