Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2006 8:33:38 PM EDT
With normal maintainence and routine cleaning, (& just a touch of occasional abuse) how many rounds does the average AR 15 - 5.56/.223 digest before accuracy SIGNIFICANTLY degrades?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is couple of pics of my 14.5" 1/9" Bushmaster barrel. Lots of shooting, not so much of cleaning Actually this barrel has 10K through when pics were taken...

Shooting distance in all pics is 150m / 164 yds. Diameter of X ring in those target is 2" and 10 ring is 4".

10 shot group of 77gr SMK desperate cleaning session

10 shot group of 69gr SMK after cleaning.

10 shot group of 77gr SMK after cleaning.

Barrel throat / case neck area of chamber. Note chipped hard chrome plating.

Rifling in throat area.

Muzzle.

This barrel still shoots 2- 3 MOA groups to 150 meters without problem.

MN

ETA: question for bigbore, do you happen to know source for the throat erosion gauge? Barrel pictured above is wasted but I´d keep track on my other AR barrels, how soon throat erosion starts to exist.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
how many rounds does the average AR 15 - 5.56/.223 digest before accuracy SIGNIFICANTLY degrades?

87 rounds!

Research has proven this.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Gentlemen,  

Thank you for your responses, and special cedit to M4a2 and the wonderful pics worth more than several thousand words on the subject.  

I knew that 87 was achievable, just wondered how much further to push it!  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a 20" heavy barrel that was still shooting sub-MOA at 11,000 rounds, but after I checked it again at about 14,000 the bullets were tumbling into the target.  This barrel saw mostly full auto fire with quite a few Beta Mag dumps.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Mine came from one of the vendors on Commercial Row at Camp Perry. I dont remember which?  The TE gauges are just a reference and gauge differrently for each barrel. You need to check your barrel when brand new. then mark it for reference later.

I´m aware of that and I´d like to start to check them. I´m waiting for the couple of new Bushmaster barrels.

MN
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top