Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2006 3:12:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 3:13:00 PM EDT by mushoot]
I have a Colt Match Target HBAR 6601 that I like a lot. However, it has a 1 in 7 twist. I would like to get another upper for it I guess in a 1 in 9 twist. Will any uppper fit it? I changed the front pin for one from Brownells that just pushes in. Do you have any recommendations? How about twist rate? I would like to shoot some 55 grain bullets. My 1 in 7 really likes the 77 grain sierra hpbt bullets. My savage 1 in 9 likes the 69 grain sierra hpbt bullet. What is a good all around twist rate? Thanks, John
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:11:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mushoot:
I have a Colt Match Target HBAR 6601 that I like a lot. However, it has a 1 in 7 twist. I would like to get another upper for it I guess in a 1 in 9 twist. Will any uppper fit it? I changed the front pin for one from Brownells that just pushes in. Do you have any recommendations? How about twist rate? I would like to shoot some 55 grain bullets. My 1 in 7 really likes the 77 grain sierra hpbt bullets. My savage 1 in 9 likes the 69 grain sierra hpbt bullet. What is a good all around twist rate? Thanks, John

Try it first. It's not like it'll blow up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:33:54 PM EDT

OK, how can I try it before I buy it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:36:09 PM EDT

OK, how can I try it before I buy it?

"You have a 1 in 7 twist. You want to shoot 55 grain. Thus you need a 1 in 9" is what I read. Have you tried 55gr in your 1 in 7. It should do fine. You'd be better off with a 1 in 9 for accuracy, but you're then just spending money on another upper.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:46:50 PM EDT
thanks, I had not considered that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:54:48 AM EDT
after considering the matter I have decided to get another complete ar15. I had shot the 55 grain and lighter bullets in my ar and did not like the accuracy. I will go with the 1 in 9 twist this time. Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:07:10 AM EDT

after considering the matter I have decided to get another complete ar15.

If you had just bought the 1/9 upper, you would eventually have bought another lower anyway.

That's how black rifle disease works. Currently I've got two "unattached" uppers, and it gnaws at me. I know I'm eventually going to get another couple of lowers.
Top Top