Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2006 10:43:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 9:42:29 PM EDT by Alaskacajun]
I read this on another site and copy and pasted here, I appreciate the sacrifices that our military make for us, and am proud to be prior Air Force!

- Clint

A wake-up call from Luke AFB, Arizona:

A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back.

Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall. When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:

"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the morning air show?

Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune!

Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns' early-bird special?

Any response would be appreciated."

The response:

Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday): On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt Jeremy Fresques.

Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.

Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured.

A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show?"

The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.
Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
CO 63rd Fighter Squadron
Luke Air Force Base, Arizona
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 12:42:17 PM EDT by cpt_en_ca]

Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

Also killed in the same crash was Staff Sgt. Casey Crate, 26, Spanaway WA.

I am proud to say I served with him, even if he was in the Air Force (inside joke, he would understand).

This was taken about 10 days before the crash. He went straight from this mission in AFG to Iraq for "one more".

They will not be forgotten.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:43:52 PM EDT
What tools people can be.

And they were at the friggen mall!

Thanks to all that have given, and were/are prepared to give, the ultimate sacrafice for our nation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:57:24 PM EDT
This is why our country is going to shitt. May god bless our fallen warriors and the families.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:19:59 PM EDT
I can remember a close friend of mine; Sgt Robert "Bobby" Wagner; Killed in Iraq on August 1st, 2004 outside Mosul, Iraq. He was a good friend, a good soldier and a good NCO. It pisses me off that people would be bothered by the "wake up call" from our USAF friends at Luke, AFB. It shows how shallow our nation has become and more importantly, that we need to fight harder to ensure that our way of life does not disappear under the barrage of the liberals, the mass media, Hollywood, who try to twist and contort our concept of liberty to their sick and twisted views.

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:35:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Black-Tiger:
I can remember a close friend of mine; Sgt Robert "Bobby" Wagner; Killed in Iraq on August 1st, 2004 outside Mosul, Iraq. He was a good friend, a good soldier and a good NCO. It pisses me off that people would be bothered by the "wake up call" from our USAF friends at Luke, AFB. It shows how shallow our nation has become and more importantly, that we need to fight harder to ensure that our way of life does not disappear under the barrage of the liberals, the mass media, Hollywood, who try to twist and contort our concept of liberty to their sick and twisted views.

radio.weblogs.com/0120495/images/us-flag-250px.jpg

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER!

+1,000,000

I used to sit outside at lunch when I worked at Rubbermaid on Cotton Lane just so I could watch the F-16s head off to Yuma Range for bomb practice. Used to tell anyone that would listen that it was the sound of freedom!! May God bless all who serve and especially those who make the ultimate sacrifice so that spoiled idiots like her or him can bitch about having their day interrupted.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 8:53:19 PM EDT by Zardoz]
Whoever wrote the letter is a fucking self-important idiot that doesn't deserve the freedom that is provided to them by the military.

Whenever military aircraft pass by the plant (all too seldom), everybody drops what they're doing, and looks up to admire them (the crews).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:05:34 PM EDT
This is interesting, read the guy's response to the Lt. Col's response.....

http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/oif/profiles/fresquesjeremy.html

An Apology From the Heart to the Airmen of Luke
Jul. 9, 2005 12:00 AM
Regarding "Flyby honoring fallen comrade" Letters, June 28):

"I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).

I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized for any discomfort my letter has caused.

This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise.

I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing."

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:55:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Alaskacajun:

"I read with increasing embarrassment and humility the response to my unfortunate letter to The Republic concerning an Air Force flyby ("A wake-up call from Luke's jets," Letters, June 23).

I had no idea of the significance of the flyby, and would never have insulted such a fine and respectful display had I known.

I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized for any discomfort my letter has caused.

I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing."

- Clint

I call BS. I've never once heard a veteran refer to the military as a "service organization".
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:19:29 PM EDT
A real vet wouldnt have wrote the letter he first sent.On him calling it noise..on sept 11th my neighborhood is basicly logan airport.East boston..some times its not on a map or just included in Boston..right after the hijackings no flights in or out..later in the day around 130 pm it was the first time in 35 years there was no noise from the runways of jets throttling up or down..taking off or landing..the only think that you could here was the deep throaty sound only a twin enfine fighter can make..god bless the F15 squadrons at Otis AFB on the cape.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:44:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zardoz:

Originally Posted By Alaskacajun:

- Clint

I call BS. I've never once heard a veteran refer to the military as a "service organization".

Well, he said he served in the Navy during the Vietnam war. I can believe it. He's just forgotten from where he has come. I think this served as a pretty good reminder.

To those who have fallen, including my friend, Capt Ernesto "Ernie" Blanco, US Army (who was killed patrolling in Iraq by an IED), you are not forgotten.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:08:07 AM EDT
My condolences to each of you who, like I, have lost friends to the cowardly insurgents and AQ.

Nice Wasatch rigs, by the way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:28:02 AM EDT
Did you check snopes?

Glad to see this one checks out. A lot of the "good ones" don't.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:56:00 AM EDT
Got Sopes on my favorites list......

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:41:58 AM EDT
Don't we have a General Discussion forum for this stuff?
Top Top