Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2006 8:07:33 AM EDT
Ive got a bushy that i bought in 02' with a muzzle brake on it pinned and welded on a 14.5, I would just send it out to adco for a phantom, but that A2 upper I have on it is starting to bother me.  It looks great but I moving towards a flat top.  Whats the cheapest way to get to a bushy A3 with a phantom pinned, sell my upper and buy new, or have adco start cutting and pasting.  Also what kind of time frame would it be until I could be back on the range if I send it out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Also Im pretty much a noob.  How difficult would it be to change out the upper myself.  Im sure i could figure it out and order the tools but i dont want to end up with a 10moa rifle when im done.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
This is from the "Build it Yourself" Section. You can save yourself some money by removing it yourself, but you would have to ship the upper out ASAP to have a new FH installed and pinned. I wish I had done this.

Quoted:
Remove your MINI-Y Comp brake:

Several people hate their mini-Y comp muzzle brake that came on Bushmaster postban barrels, and want to remove it to install a common flash hider.  Here is a how-to provided by another member, "BadSVT"

Quoted:
Started with this

www.kevinholman.com/byor/miniy/muzzle.jpg

This is where the pins are, one at 6 o'clock and one at 12 o'clock

www.kevinholman.com/byor/miniy/muzzle2.jpg

I ground down far enough to find the pins but they wouldn't budge, so I took my dremal and used a cut off wheel to cut the comp in half. Make sure you do this right down the middle of the pin.

Then using a cold chissel, I split the comp. When I did this, it loosened the pins up.

www.kevinholman.com/byor/miniy/muzzle3.jpg

I turned the pin by using the slot cut down the middle of the pin. Then I ground around the pin, using the cut off wheel until I had enough room to grab the pin with a needle nose pliar.

www.kevinholman.com/byor/miniy/muzzle5.jpg

After the pin is out, cut down the middle a bit more, to connect the hole to the rest of the cut. Then split the comp open using the chissel.

www.kevinholman.com/byor/miniy/muzzle6.jpg

The comp comes right off.

www.kevinholman.com/byor/miniy/muzzle7.jpg

And here is the barrel with a phantom mocked up

www.kevinholman.com/byor/miniy/muzzle8.jpg

It is VERY IMPORTANT to remember, that most of the Mini-Y's came on 14.5" barrels, and you MUST install a muzzle device that will get the barrel back to 16" or more (Phantom, Vortex) and that MUST be permanently installed, in a fashion acceptable and documented by the ATF.

AS SOON AS YOU TAKE THE BRAKE OFF, your barrel will make your AR a SBR, which is illegal, unless you have registered it and payed the ATF stamps, etc.  Do not assemble your barrel back on the rifle until you have installed the new device permanently, and dont wait a long time to get the new device installed..... or "plan to" "someday" get it mounted permanently.  The reward does not match the risk.  

I dont agree with the above legalities, at all... but they warrant mentioning.

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have the Barrel removed from the upper, buy a Flattop and when you get both your new barreled upper and your A2 back, you can just sell the A2 on the EE. ADCO is a great company to go through, but you may want to check out GTS/Denny's guns to see what he can do (I've done business through him so I can tell you that his service is Top Notch!).

Nathan
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also Im pretty much a noob.  How difficult would it be to change out the upper myself.  Im sure i could figure it out and order the tools but i dont want to end up with a 10moa rifle when im done.  

So you want a new upper receiver and a new barrel?  Buy a complete new upper assembly.  When the new upper comes in, sell the old one on the Equipment Exchange or at a local gun show.  The "hit" you'll take in the transactions will most likely be equal to the cost of the work to transform the rifle.  

ETA-  This way, you won't EVER go without a serviceable rifle, and all it takes to switch uppers is to simply break down the rifle with the two pushpins, and slap the other one on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks very good points.  Yeah I think a new upper is going to have to happen when i get the money. If anyone is interested it will probably be coming up on EE in the near future, without the bolt or C.handle.  Its got that comp Y on it, and maybe 300 rnds through it.  I will look around and figure out a fair price on it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top