Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 12:26:27 PM EDT
I'm always thinking about mechanical things, so yesterday I was thinking "why not build an AR upper that would totally convert the weapon into something else all together?"

OK, I know they make .50 BMG uppers, but I'm talking about something more high speed-low drag, like a STEN gun upper, that takse STEN mags from the side and is made from a tube like a STEN, instead of with AR HGs, or it could take AK mags from the top ala Bren, ala Stoner 63.

How about an upper that looks like a Bren, or 1919 or something, why does everyone just keep playing with the few variants we allready have? And then trying to make the mag well work?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Somebody has already converted a sten, IIRC.  I saw a scanned magazine article about it.  There are belt-fed .22lr (1919ish) uppers as well.  As for why people stick with the basic AR upper, it is modular, parts are readily available, and parts are cheap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC if you make the upper house the ammuntion feeding then IT becomes a firearm - thus losing the primary advantage of the AR-15 (where you only have to go to the FFL for the lower).  Case in point the 8mm belt fed uppers, and the soon to be relased 5.8x28 upper that takes P90 mags (empties drop through the magazine well of the lower).
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]

I believe there is an upper for 5.7mm that uses the P-90 magazines, laid flat on top.

That sounds a little like the kind of approach you are thinking about.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinkin about a weed eater leaf blower combo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
MGI
Modular Lower Receiver

www.mgimilitary.com/
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Forest, 8mm belt fed uppers!?!? Where??
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I believe there is an upper for 5.7mm that uses the P-90 magazines, laid flat on top.

That sounds a little like the kind of approach you are thinking about.

See here:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=275658&page=1
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Forest, 8mm belt fed uppers!?!? Where??

Google 8mm belt fed upper.  It's the first hit.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top