Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 7:37:18 PM EDT
Ok I currently own a 16" chrome-lined 1/9 M4.  Currently, it's in for repair, but you get the point.

I think my next rifle is going to be an M16A2 replica.  Just regular rifle length handguards, A2 buttsock, and only iron sights as far as optics go.  20" 1/9 or 1/8 twist. I know there isn't much of a difference between that and my M4, but I have always loved the M16 style, and just a plain ole rifle with only BUIS.

Plans for the M4 are railed handguards with a forward grip.  Right now it has an Aimpoint on top of the carry handle with the see-through rail.

As stated above, the M16A2 would just be my basic service-style rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Most guys on this site probably own 3-4 guns in similar arrangements.

I doubt anyone will think it's stupid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Most guys on this site probably own 3-4 guns in similar arrangements.

I doubt anyone will think it's stupid.

Alright then it's not just me that doesn't see it as a waste of money to have basically similar rifles, just with differnt optics setups and furniture styles, and slightly different barrel
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
dude thats not stupid.  thats pretty much what I want to do.  I for some reason have this strange love relationship with the normal A2 as-is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
dude thats not stupid.  thats pretty much what I want to do.  I for some reason have this strange love relationship with the normal A2 as-is.

Amen.  I was thinking of an SP1, but I think I'm just gonna stick with recent times and build a regular ole A2 like this...

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I working on a

1- M16A4 w/ Eotech 512 BUIS...etc, etc,
2- M16A2 Plain Jane with OD furniture
3- M16A1 Plain Jane
4- M16 slabside Plain Jane

5- Bushy Flattop M4 that I'm gonna put a Slabside upper on w/ a Bushy aluminum CAR stock

So you tell me...It looks like your in good shape

I Hate this site
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I working on a

1- M16A4 w/ Eotech 512 BUIS...etc, etc,
2- M16A2 Plain Jane with OD furniture
3- M16A1 Plain Jane
4- M16 slabside Plain Jane

5- Bushy Flattop M4 that I'm gonna put a Slabside upper on w/ a Bushy aluminum CAR stock

So you tell me...It looks like your in good shape

I Hate this site

Hahahahaha.  That makes me feel better.

If i go with the A2, I'm probably going to mount the aimpoint on my M4 right to the flat top.  Right now I have it set up so I can use BUIS and the aimpoint, since I love both.

Now I'll have both, on different rifles :)  More to clean though ahhhhhhh
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#7]
There is nothing stupid about it at all.  To help you justify your decision, think of it like this:  each rifle houses interchangable replacement parts that can be used on the other!

Then again, I can give you my personal justification for owning more than one of the same type of weapon:  I prefer to have a minimum of TWO guns that shoot that same particular round of ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There is nothing stupid about it at all.  To help you justify your decision, think of it like this:  each rifle houses interchangable replacement parts that can be used on the other!

Then again, I can give you my personal justification for owning more than one of the same type of weapon:  I prefer to have a minimum of TWO guns that shoot that same particular round of ammunition.

That makes sense.  I was going to build a precision AR-15, but decided to make the M4 a little more tactical, build a completely plain jane A2, and then buy a Rem 700P to play around with at longer ranges.  Those 2 would be it for AR15s though I think, although as you said, it'd be nice to have most of my rifles shooting the same ammo.

My collection would be...

M16A2 replica
M4 replica
Rem 700P
Ruger 10/22 with 4x scope
Tactical Rem 870

Then I'll see what happens from there
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a similar plan....sort of.

I'm currently working on a SOPMODish M4gery.

My next project will be an M16A4gery SDM-R.

US ARMY M16A4 SDM-R
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got my First AR last week (an M4 lookalike) I plan on doing the same as you, and get a standard 20 next.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just got my First AR last week (an M4 lookalike) I plan on doing the same as you, and get a standard 20 next.

You'll probably get around to it before I do haha.  Rem 870 is next, then I'll probably buy the A2 upper.  Build the lower after that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ok I currently own a 16" chrome-lined 1/9 M4.  Currently, it's in for repair, but you get the point.

I think my next rifle is going to be an M16A2 replica.  Just regular rifle length handguards, A2 buttsock, and only iron sights as far as optics go.  20" 1/9 or 1/8 twist. I know there isn't much of a difference between that and my M4, but I have always loved the M16 style, and just a plain ole rifle with only BUIS.

Plans for the M4 are railed handguards with a forward grip.  Right now it has an Aimpoint on top of the carry handle with the see-through rail.

Sounds good to me.

My first AR was a Colt Sporter Target I bought new in 1990. Somewhere along the way, I converted it to an M4gery. Now I'm in the process of returning it to stock configuration because I want my old A2 back.

IBT "You're going to hell because your rifle isn't tactical enough crowd".  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#13]
The first AR I put together was an A2 - Colt M16A2 take-off upper and buttstock assembly, and everything else is Colt except for the bolt carrier group and stripped lower (RRA).  I'd make it all Colt, just for the hell of it, but I decided not to screw with something that works perfectly.  

It's definitely my favorite AR (not to mention the lightest).  I shoot it frequently out to 300 yards.  If you want an A2, by all means go build one, you'll love it.

Surplus A2 uppers can be found for between $400 and $500, minus bolt carrier group. You can also find whole parts kits if you don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks more for more than a run-of-the-mill rifle. ( I think Autoweapons.com sells some)

IBT "You're going to hell because your rifle isn't tactical enough crowd".

You forgot the Arfcom Solution - BUY BOTH!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#14]

One of my favorite ARs is my super-simple KISS rifle.

Obviously not an M16A2 style (instead A1) - but just agreeing with your point that there is an inherent appeal to the "clean" simple AR.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=43810

Obviously not an M16A2 style (instead A1) - but just agreeing with your point that there is an inherent appeal to the "clean" simple AR.

That is a beautiful rifle.  At first my M4 was as simple as can be, but I felt the need to go a little more tactical, which is why I mounted an Aimpoint and adding railed handguards.

The A2 will be the complete opposite.  With a rifle like that, it's easier to fight the urge to keep it simple.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Stupid?

Hell, I have plans to build one too

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you think I should go with a Colt lower to make it more "official" or should I just go with another Stag and find any ole A2 upper?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
It's not stupid if it's what you want. It's your money.

It's not like you want to restore a Yugo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=43810

That is a beautiful rifle.  At first my M4 was as simple as can be, but I felt the need to go a little more tactical, which is why I mounted an Aimpoint and adding railed handguards.

The A2 will be the complete opposite.  With a rifle like that, it's easier to fight the urge to keep it simple.

Yeah - a couple of my other ARs are totally pimped out - with EOTechs and rails and all that jazz.  But there is something really nice about a simple RIFLE, with no bells and whistles.  

Plus, something like this, you know you can just throw in the trunk of a car, or lend to a neighbor, or whatever.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Do you think I should go with a Colt lower to make it more "official" or should I just go with another Stag and find any ole A2 upper?

Since Colt is still using big FCG pins, I would go with your choice of other manufacturers.

If the FCG pins aren't a big deal, get a Colt lower and don't look back.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I have more than 1.. Everyone should have several..

Bushmaster 20" A2

Oly carbine

Bushmaster 11.5" SBR

PAWS M16
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have more than 1.. Everyone should have several..

img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/gmtmaster/Picture286.jpg

Bushmaster 20" A2

Oly carbine

Bushmaster 11.5" SBR

PAWS M16

What'd you pay for the bushy a2?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#23]
800.00 or around.. Been a couple years .. Came with a HB.. Now has a govt profile.. Much better than the HB IMO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I would really like an A2 for the nostalgia (it's what I carried) but then I'd sit around pining for my old SAW.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Patrol Rifle, decked out with VFG, light, Eotech, etc...

I have a scoped AR with free float handguard, flip-up sights, etc...

I have an M16A2 clone...

I have an M4 clone...  

I like having the two rifles in their "stock" configuration.  It's fun to have rifles that are very similar to US service rifles.  

I have a fifth on order: Leitner-Wise gas piston carbine with railed handguard, VFG, Eotech, Light, etc.

You're not stupid.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

How you gonna puts a BUIS on the A2 reciever der, eh?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I just helped a friend of mine build a 20" ar, old colt 1/12 barrel off an SP1, flat top, Trilux scope 4pos stock.  Light and fast 'yote slayer.

Can't get much weirder than that.  And I didn't think it was stupid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#28]
This is a timely thread for me - I want to do the exact same thing.  

I like my M4gery, but damn those A2s look good.  What else to do but get both?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I love the A2's cause that's what I was issued...  Now if I could only get a 203 in California.  lmao

I like the M4s, and have mine because they're fun.  Whenever I shoot one, I always wonder what firing a 203 with one would be like.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:05:36 AM EDT
[#30]
What happened to your Stag?

ETA   Found your post ,Hope it gets fixed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:41:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How you gonna puts a BUIS on the A2 reciever der, eh?

You know what I meant
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#32]
No, Next question.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#33]
stupid?  no way

when I complete my collection I plan to start over and build a duplicate of each.  Now you tell me if your plan is stupid!  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#34]
No. It is NOT stupid. You, friend are simply exhibiting the early symptoms of Black Rifle Disease.

We prescribe two-thousand rounds at the range and call us in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#35]
tag
sounds like a plan to me dude
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top