Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 5:44:44 AM EDT
I am looking to purchase my first AR-15.  I have narrowed it down to a Bushmaster 20" A3.  The final decision is to get a Government profile or HBAR.   I know it comes down to personnel preference but does anybody know the actual weight difference between the two rifles.  Also debating 1/7 or 1/9 twist but that is another story.

It will be used for range work and an occasional 3-gun match at distances less than 300 yards.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Found this on another board:

From Bushmaster.

Weight listed in pounds.

Barrel length_________Heavy Barrels________ Fluted Barrels

10"_________________2.0_________________1.9
11.5"_______________ 2.2_________________2.0
11.5/5.5"____________2.6_________________2.5
14.5"_______________ 2.5_________________2.2
14.5"AK_____________2.7_________________2.4
14.5"MY_____________2.7_________________2.4
14.5"AM (phantom)____2.7_________________2.4
16"_________________2.7_________________2.3
16" Dissipator________ 3.0_________________2.6
20"_________________3.5_________________3.0
24"_________________3.9_________________3.1
26"_________________4.0_________________3.2

Military Style Barrels

14.5"M4_____________2.0
14.5"M4AK__________ 2.2
14.5"M4MY__________ 2.2
14.5"M4AM (phantom)_ 2.2
16"M4 Dissipator______ 2.3
16" Superlight________ 1.9
16"M4______________ 2.2
20"A2 (govt profile)____2.5
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
So there's a 1 pound difference between 20" Gov.profile and 20" HBAR.

My HBAR A2 BM Upper is for sale in the EE because it's too front heavy for my liking.

Good riddance!

HS1
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#3]
One pound does not seem like it would make that much difference.  Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One pound does not seem like it would make that much difference.  Thanks for the information.

Carry one around all day, you will notice it
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#5]
To add my two cents worth,

I have had a post ban RRA - with a J&T 20 Hbar kit - heavy and added a baggie full of screws to teh butstock for more weight - I shoot service rifle matches with this gun.

I have just put together a RRA lower w/ a adjustable butstock and a M16 upper w/ the older triangle handguards.

These two guns are like night and day - I will say that the gun with the old style pencil upper kicks harder than the heavy barrel.

not much and I am not complaining - just noteing the difference.

YMMV,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:04:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

HAH!   It's a huge difference.    Remember, that's cantilevered weight that you are holding out in front of you

Take a 3 day carbine course and you'll know which one you want
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I have no doubt if I were carrying an AR around all day I would want the lighter weapon but I am a desk jockey that only shoots at the range and a few 3-gun matches and service rifle matches.

Is the lighter recoil in the HBAR enough of a benifit in action shooting to justify the weight?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A 20" Gubment profile feels as light and fast as a 16" barrel after you screw around with a 20" HBAR for any amount of time.

In true ARFcom fashion, I have both. If I plan on doing anything more active than sitting at a bench, the M16A2 uppered rifle gets the nod. I'm even thinking of getting my HBAR turned down under the HG's because of the weight. A Government profile 20" A2 (or A3 in your case) balances PERFECTLY, IMO.

I have plans for another one or two 20" Gubment profile rifles because they just feel right and they shoot really well.

WIZZO

BTW, you aren't going to notice too much of a difference in recoil. Since it still has the rifle gas system, it will still be pretty gentle. The lighter rifle (gubment profiled one) will pop a little harder into your shoulder, but it's nothing a 10 year old coudn't handle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is the lighter recoil in the HBAR enough of a benifit in action shooting to justify the weight?

Thanks

Not to me.   I've changed all my rifles over to lighter profiles
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Wizzo...  Looks like the government is the winner.   Any suggests on twist rate would lso be welcome.  Bushmaster has both 1/7 and 1/9.  For my uses  I think 1/9 would be a good choice but again I am just learning.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I've seen the light, no pun intended, and discovered the beauty of lightweight barrels. Even the balance of the M4 Govt profile seems a little nose heavy and off balance to me now.

Odds are I will only buy lightweight barrels in the future. I would only beef up the barrel if I was building a precision weapon
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top