Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 10:26:35 PM EDT
Short-stroke piston gas system??

Are manufactures starting to put this in the rifles?

http://www.hkdefense.us/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/hk416.html

Is RRA or Dpms or colt going to start making these,   Reason why I ask is Im thinking about buying a ar of some sort but why would i want a weapon that isnt as good as one with the short stroke piston system.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
wow you are new, try pof-usa.com
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude...trust me when I tell you that the direct gas system is perfectly fine for your needs.  I have seen ARs go thousands of rounds without cleaning and they function fine.  I bet you clean your weapon more than that...I know I do.  Personally, I think the AR is perfectly fine the way it is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Short-stroke piston gas system??

Are manufactures starting to put this in the rifles?

http://www.hkdefense.us/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/hk416.html

Is RRA or Dpms or colt going to start making these,   Reason why I ask is Im thinking about buying a ar of some sort but why would i want a weapon that isnt as good as one with the short stroke piston system.

Colt LE1020 will have a short-stroke gas piston.
POF/DSA makes a Gas Trap Carbine (GTC) which uses a piston.
Leitner-Wise makes a short-stroke gas piston AR, which is currently deployed in the sandbox in very limited numbers.
The H&K 416 has also seen use in the sandbox in limited numbers.  It also uses a short stroke gas piston.

I'm a believer.  It won't benefit me as much as full-auto/suppressed/short barrel AR shooters, but it still has benefits I want (not need.)  Reduced recoil pulse, cleaner action, cooler operation, reduced malfunctions due to underpowered ammo and extraction.  These are all true of the LW rifle, not sure if its the same across all gas piston rifles.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top