AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
man if a military M16 rod wont do it then go to a gun smith!

Im just about ready to. No offense to anybody here, the help/comments/suggestions is ALL definitely appreciated. But in my humblest opinion with all due respect, nobofdy here is going to be smacking a live round out of their chamber, which may have the potential to detonate and kill me.

If I can get some serious assurance that wont happen, then yea I might hit harder with a rod.

Dude, this is Arfcom  I'm sure there's a few that would
That situation does suck though,
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Im just about ready to. No offense to anybody here, the help/comments/suggestions is ALL definitely appreciated. But in my humblest opinion with all due respect, nobofdy here is going to be smacking a live round out of their chamber, which may have the potential to detonate and kill me.

If I can get some serious assurance that wont happen, then yea I might hit harder with a rod.

Well, like I said, I did the exact same thing. In my opinion, unless the primer is struck from the outside by something like a firing pin, small nail, etc, the primer will not go off and you have soaked it so the primer would probably not go of if hit by a firing pin.You can apply heat of course but we are talking about tapping the inside bottom of the case, as long as the rod is larger than the primer flash hole then you should not be touching the primer. I would do it again but that is me. If you are really worried about it then by all means take it to a gunsmith. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Did we remedy the situation yet ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No, its going to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
3 pages of discussion, and no pics ?    I would like to see a pic or 2 of the described "stuck case/round" ...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, its going to a gunsmith.

Yeah good deal I do belive Dano would know!

Plus if it Did go wrong the Smith will pay for it!

Good luck buddy
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I just moved two weeks ago, dont know where my digital cam is. If I can dig it up Ill take pics.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's what I'd do, but them I'm kinda crazy:

Put a couple of phone books on the ground, lock carrier back and place rag or something in there to keep bolt from hitting round.  MAKE SURE ON SAFE.  Place m16 rod down barrel with just two or three inches left coming out end of barrel.  Place weapon barrel down on rod.  Pound on buttstock with rubber mallet or anything really.  Just pound until it comes out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Did find a smith in your area?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here's what I'd do, but them I'm kinda crazy:

Put a couple of phone books on the ground, lock carrier back and place rag or something in there to keep bolt from hitting round.  MAKE SURE ON SAFE.  Place m16 rod down barrel with just two or three inches left coming out end of barrel.  Place weapon barrel down on rod.  Pound on buttstock with rubber mallet or anything really.  Just pound until it comes out.

Been there, done that. Except not upside down, banged on rod with a mallet, and no Im not going to try it upside down banging a mallet on the buttstock.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok I'm not sure if this will work in this situation but this is something that fixed a couple of jams where I fired the round and it didnt eject and the bolt was stuck there with the casing still in the chamber.

First make sure the rifle is on safe and you're wearing protection and then hold onto the charging handle and hit the buttstock of the gun (with the muzzle pointing upwards, hopefully away from your face) on a workbench. It should force the bolt back and the round out. If not, I dunno
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
FINALLY GOT THE ROUND OUT!

I finally went out and got a 3/16" brass rod and hit it with a hammer. It took a few whacks. Then it broke free, with the rod stuck into the case(wedged between the bullet in the case). I then pulled it back up into the chamber, and let the bolt go. Then the bolt got stuck on the round. I smacked it out again, it then came loose and ejected.

The neck is extremely thin. Apparently mutiple reloads, and it is a Federal case, which is notorious for having thin cases in the first place.

The case was stuck so hard in there that the extractor ripped off a piece of the rim!

The final theory is that the round was:
Not sized properly and the bullet poorly seated,
Relaoded without adequate case inspection, too much expansion on this case.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#13]
dunk it in water...and let it stay there wile you find a bigger hammer....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top