User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 12:59:07 PM EDT
Why do people want these in their semi?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
M16 bolt carriers weigh more than AR-15 bolt carriers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Because we can
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I figured.  Wonder how it'd act in a midlength with H2 buffer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Why wouldn't you want one? A "semi" carrier serves no purpose when regular carriers are available.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Mass.
Strength.
Upper can be used on 16 lower.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The extra mass makes it more likely (though certainly not guaranteed) to short stroke with low power ammo (WOLF).  The M16 parts in a semi-auto rifle makes you more vulnerable to an individual LEO's interpretation of the law, even if it is strictly legal.  They also seem to cost more.  For me, it isn't worth it.

In a mid-length using an H2 buffer and M16 carrier, I would almost guarantee your gun will short-stroke on WOLF until the gun is fully broken in.  Even then, functioning may be marginal.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The extra mass makes it more likely (though certainly not guaranteed) to short stroke with low power ammo (WOLF).  The M16 parts in a semi-auto rifle makes you more vulnerable to an individual LEO's interpretation of the law, even if it is strictly legal.  They also seem to cost more.  For me, it isn't worth it.

In a mid-length using an H2 buffer and M16 carrier, I would almost guarantee your gun will short-stroke on WOLF until the gun is fully broken in.  Even then, functioning may be marginal.  

After I built the commando upper for my SBR'd lower I found myself worrying about this since I had used an M16 carrier and the lower I was using it on was set up for 9mm with a 9mm (heavy) buffer. I thought for sure I was gonna have to carry a spare carbine buffer with me for swapping out also when I swapped calibers.

Turned out it was not a problem at all, even with Wolf, which kinda blows a theory I had about people who have trouble with Wolf ammo using heavy buffers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

After I built the commando upper for my SBR'd lower I found myself worrying about this since I had used an M16 carrier and the lower I was using it on was set up for 9mm with a 9mm (heavy) buffer. I thought for sure I was gonna have to carry a spare carbine buffer with me for swapping out also when I swapped calibers.

Turned out it was not a problem at all, even with Wolf, which kinda blows a theory I had about people who have trouble with Wolf ammo using heavy buffers.

Interesting.  Your commando upper had a standard gas port size?  Was it new or well broken-in?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Interesting.  Your commando upper had a standard gas port size?  Was it new or well broken-in?

As far as I know it's standard. It's just a 11.5" barrel I got from Ameetec so I'm guessing it's Saber or Stag.

I should note that this is semi only, I don't got da cash for F/A.

ETA: Also, barrel is fairly new.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#10]
My 11.5" barrel with '16 carrier and H buffer eats Wolf all day long and sings on full auto.  I was surprised when it worked but other board members have had the same success as I.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hmmm, I use a std AR bolt carier assembly in my 7.5" and 11.5" SBR along with a  7oz  rifle buffer in A2 stock with no problem...  I've got you beat by a couple extra oz's...  If the firearm not funtion with Wolf 223, time to get the rifle repaired.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top