Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 2:48:08 PM EDT
To those of you with a substantial amount of trigger time behind a VFG equipped rifle, what are the pros and cons. Here's my inexperienced (mucho AR time, little VFG time) thoughts on the subject. Ya'll feel free to add comments or tell me of my misconceptions. I'm specifically interested in the TangoDown product.

Pros:
1/ better weapon retention
2/ more comfortable weapon handling
3/ better rapid fire control
4/ a place for a weapon mounted light's pressure switch
5/  keeps support hand away from hot forend in high round count strings
6/ waterproof battery storage compartment
7/ looks cool

Cons:
1/ expensive
2/ adds weight
3/ prone to snag
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently removed my vertical grip. I may eventually put it back on, but for now the conventional hold feels good again.

With........

With out........

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Also useful for tucking the rifle under your arm during long marches.  Don't NEED one, but they help, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quib, I noticed that you moved the light. There's not much real estate on a standard carbine rail is there? That's another reason for my interest in the VFG. Why did you remove yours?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quib, I noticed that you moved the light. There's not much real estate on a standard carbine rail is there? That's another reason for my interest in the VFG. Why did you remove yours?

I just got a hair up my ass to remove the grip. I originally started out with a pressure switch activated light. Had that mounted to the grip with inner tube. Swapped that out for a clicker switch on the G2. The other day I just decided to remove the grip and swap the light around to the left side of the rail. Now I can easily activate it with my thumb. Just wanted something different for a change I guess.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also useful for tucking the rifle under your arm during long marches.  Don't NEED one, but they help, IMHO.

Amen to this.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, helps when shooting around corners.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I use ESP for that!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
2,4,6 are big plusses for me.

I don;t care about the cost and the weight is the only drawback IMHO...and it doesn't weight that much.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a KAC Vertical Foregrip on my AR15; it was something I had laying around and it'll do until I get the TD Vert. grip. I will keep the batteries on my TD Battlegrip (though I don't have the Eotech just yet) and I don't have a taclight yet, because I haven't bought the mount for it just yet (I do have a Surefire 6P reserved for the carbine).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the SF M-900 vertical grip with light built , works great and I like all the options I have with the light. The only thing now that I want a bipod I have to take the light off because it takes up most of the rail. Just something to think about if you ever want a bipod.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not sure how the VFG helps with corners. Can you expand on that a little.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top