Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 12:11:39 PM EDT
Does anybody know the correct heights of the front and rear sights, from the rail to the bottom of the rear sight aperture or the front sight post. I'm trying to diagnose a problem to see if one of my sights is out of spec.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer that question but I'll tell you how I solved my sight problem.
the problem was the removeable carry handle for a carbine barell is taller than a A2 stock sight. the standard front sight would not unscreww high enough to zero with the rear sight lowered to the 8/3 setting.  The solution was to get a taller front sight from DPMS.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually my problem is the exact opposite as yours. I have a GG&G A2 rear sight and a Troy Industries front sight. Even with the front sight post as low as it goes, my gun shoots about a foot low at 100 yards (and it's not me, I had a nice group of about 20 shots about a foot below my POA and another group dead center with my EOTech).
When I took off the sights, the GG&G rear was about 1/4" lower than the Troy front and the rear aperture did not line up with the middle of semi-circle of the Troy front.
I called up both Troy and GG&G and although they were very professional and offered to replace the sights at no cost (Troy even offered to cover the difference between their rear sight and the GG&G, I was very impressed), I still am not sure what the problem is. The only conclusion I have come to so far is that one of my sights is out of spec, maybe a bad forging. That's why I want to figure out the heights of the front and rear sights so I can have a better idea if one of my sights is out of spec.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd take a small file to it. Call it good.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Heh, the though crossed my mind. Unfortunately if I did that, I wouldn't have a front sight post.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an AR15 A2 do that, and it turned out that the barrel was angled down from the receiver.  The maker supplied a new upper receiver, and the problem went away.  The front face of the receiver has to be 90 degrees, more or less, to the bore line.  There is a tool to face it off square.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Well the sights taken off of the gun are not alligning. I can tell that because the rear aperture is not alligned with the Troy semi-circle if I mount them both on a rail segment.
Good idea though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't answer that question but I'll tell you how I solved my sight problem.
the problem was the removeable carry handle for a carbine barell is taller than a A2 stock sight. the standard front sight would not unscreww high enough to zero with the rear sight lowered to the 8/3 setting.  The solution was to get a taller front sight from DPMS.

I need one of those.  DPMS... Okay.

TS
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have any ideas?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top