Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:54:13 AM EDT
I was sold an upper which the seller told me was a 14.5" so I got a Phantom to replace the FH. I decided to measure it the other night to make sure and it was a full 16" from the top of the FH to the base of the barrel nut. the 14" mark was well on the barrel.

Am I good to go or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Dowell down the barrel on a closed bolt. Marked. Pulled out and measured.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe its supposed to be measured from the face of the bolt to the end of the barrel.. have to have the bolt "closed" to measure it..

Not sure.. but I am told the ATF uses a 2 foot yard stick to measure the rod

Easy way to check(this is how I've done it for shotguns..) is to have the action closed(or the bolt locked into the extension on an AR), drop a dowel/skinny rod down the barrel, mark it at the muzzle, and measure the dowel/rod...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dowell down the barrel on a closed bolt. Marked. Pulled out and measured.

Beat me to it!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
take a cleaning rod or dowel and carefully run it down the bore until it makes contact with the bolt face.  Mark it at the crown and then measure.  Or if you're FH is pinned you can measure to that point.

holy crap - glad I could show up on time.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Breechface (bolt in battery) to the end of the last permanent piece of steel on the barrel.

ETA: Damn, this is what happens when I open 15 windows and work my way back!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies! Better too many than none
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I believe its supposed to be measured from the face of the bolt to the end of the barrel.. have to have the bolt "closed" to measure it..

Easy way to check(this is how I've done it for shotguns..) is to have the action closed(or the bolt locked into the extension on an AR), drop a dowel/skinny rod down the barrel, mark it at the muzzle, and measure the dowel/rod...

WTF is a 2 foot yard stick, is that like 2/3 of a yard
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF is a 2 foot yard stick, is that like 2/3 of a yard

Jesus, you are hot tonight my friend...  No more whiskey and posting for you, Jon boy
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top