Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2006 8:00:14 AM EDT
Hey all,

I would like to ask you all how you all would put together an AR if you were given $1,000 to spend. Would you buy a complete gun, would you buy separate uppers and lowers or would you build it yourself? What about optics?
What kind of AR would you have if someone were to give you a budget of $1,000?

Thanks

Nala
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:04:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:08:50 AM EDT
Go buy a 20" from ABC(if found within price range) or R and be done with it and get a good sling. I like my carbines but I love my 20". No rails, no fancy sights, lights, lasers, tactical chicken wing fork, just a plain ole A2.

Then again, none of mine are tacticool. I just have tons of fun killing paper bad guys and steel plates. If it was ever needed for the service in which it was intended it would suffice also.

Disclaimer: Not trying to start a flame war here with you guys that do gussy up your Ar's. To each his own. It just ain't my thing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:13:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 8:14:19 AM EDT by Quarterbore]
For $1000 I would start with a used Bushmaster for about $500

Say: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=337778

Add a CAR stock (about $50 USED)

Add a KAC RAS (about $200 USED)

Add a EoTech (about $250 used)

That will give you an excellent platform to work up in the future... Now, the RAS could be put off to later and you could spend that $200 on Mags as $200 will get you quite a few 20 and 30-rd mags!

I have bought and sold a ton of stuff on here and a used upper rarely is used up and you can always replace the barrel if you later want the bayonet lug and a new barrel. On a budget, USED is the way to get way more gun for the $$$. By far, most of the guns I have were purchased used because of this.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:24:41 AM EDT
Build my own $500 gun on whatever $99 lower my gun shop has. Put a LMT BUIS, a YHM rail, and a Surefire 6P in a $5 ring. Spend the rest on bullets.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:25:16 AM EDT
You have 3 pretty constant factors it seems. Complete Lower is going to be $250-$350. Complete Upper w/ BCG is going to be $400-$500.

The answer to your question isn't really build or buy whole, but how much am I going to spend on the 3rd factor....optics and their rails. You will have $150-$350 remaining depending on the first 2 factors.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:31:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:
Go buy a 20" from ABC(if found within price range) or R and be done with it and get a good sling. I like my carbines but I love my 20". No rails, no fancy sights, lights, lasers, tactical chicken wing fork, just a plain ole A2.

Then again, none of mine are tacticool. I just have tons of fun killing paper bad guys and steel plates. If it was ever needed for the service in which it was intended it would suffice also.

Disclaimer: Not trying to start a flame war here with you guys that do gussy up your Ar's. To each his own. It just ain't my thing.

I'd second this, but make sure you spend the extra $80-$100 to get a removable carry handle. Then you can put optics on it should you desire so later. Also, a carbine would word just as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:41:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
Stag upper, build up a lower, and be on my way to enjoying an optic.

+1, but have the Stag rebarreled to a lighweight profile with 1/7 twist.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:11:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:25:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By happycynic:

Originally Posted By ManiacRat461:

I'd second this, but make sure you spend the extra $80-$100 to get a removable carry handle. Then you can put optics on it should you desire so later. Also, a carbine would word just as well.

Good point. Most people probably would want a carbine over a full size rifle. It would give you the opportunity to create a zombie slaying tacticool weapon if you wanted it later.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:52:46 AM EDT
Beowulf
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:28:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
Stag upper, build up a lower, and be on my way to enjoying an optic.

+1 Stag M4 upper to be specific.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:58:05 PM EDT
I had $1,000 to spend on an AR last October - I bought a Colt 6520. Its light and easily wielded, yet quite accurate. I'm not much on optics myself as I don't shoot past a couple hundred yards and I shoot M1 Garands and peep-sighted Anschutz .22's. If I had the ability to shoot at 300 yards on a regular basis, I would probably pick up a A2 (one of the blue label Colt Sporters) and stick an ACOG on top of it. The picture of the ACOG that took a round and saved its shooter's life has stuck in my mind - the frame and rigidity of an optic determine how well it will hold zero and stand up to rough-and-tough treatment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:59:13 PM EDT
I was recently in your shoes. After much thought and reading, I decided to get an upper and lower.

I spent just over $1000, but Im not trying to keep track.Here
Bravo Company 16" middy upper.
M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension (USGI)
M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
T-Marked Upper Receivers
USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
Mil-Spec 11595E - 4150 Grade Barrel Steel (CMV)
Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
USGI Government Profile Barrels
HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

CMT bolt chrome lined bolt carrier group.
Parkerized exterior, chrome lined inside with heavier profile at rear of carrier group and under firing pin. Manufactured and assembled by USGI Contractor CMT. Completely assembled, includes bolt carrier, bolt, firing pin, cam pin, and retaining pin. Bolt is Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI)

CMT charing handle.

LMT complete lower. Came with Tango DOwn grip.

Troy industries folding rear battle buis.

Everything is very good quality and fits together great.

BUT, take your time and read, then make an informed decision.

I couldnt be happier.

Good luck on your decision.
Matt

Top Top