Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:02:42 AM EDT
Anyone seen the new stock Choate has out?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I saw some at the gunshow last weekend and it looks like they copied one made by another company...  LMT perhaps?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
nice looking stock
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Price ?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Telescoping stock kit $135.00

Telescoping stock only $95.00

I'll bet that it does not use a Mil-Spec tube like the LMT SOPMOD stock does.

If it's typical Choate quality it will be worth it.

www.riflestock.com/

EDIT: The info for the stock only says it fits the milspec tube.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#5]
might work out good, however the new magpul stock is supposed to be $95 so I don't know how this will be able to compete....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
might work out good, however the new magpul stock is supposed to be $95 so I don't know how this will be able to compete....

Magpul is making a SOPMOD stock?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, its a different type of stock to replace the 93 series stock, I think.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why mention it?
The new Choat is a SOPMOD knock-off and that's what this is about.
It's like talking about the taste of apples and then saying that watermelons are the same price.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So why mention it?
The new Choat is a SOPMOD knock-off and that's what this is about.
It's like talking about the taste of apples and then saying that watermelons are the same price.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a stock isn't it? I mention it because lets say someone is in the market for a new stock. For $95 you can get a choate, or for the same price you can get the magpul. What are most people going to buy? My point is, I don't see this stock doing well when you can get the magpul for the same price. If they were to knock the price down some it could possibly do very well.

ummm yeah, thats what its like

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I think if someone is wanting a SOPMOD stock without the high payment this would be a great item to try out. I would still prefer my SOPMOD stock to the Choate but to each his/her own.  Magpul does make great stocks but the new Magpul doesn't fit teh bill of a SOPMOD type stock from the photos I have seen.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not beef up the tube as well? I dont get it?
Everyone wants the strongest but dont beef up the tube or make it out of titanium with colt specs
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It's a stock isn't it? I mention it because lets say someone is in the market for a new stock. For $95 you can get a choate, or for the same price you can get the magpul. What are most people going to buy? My point is, I don't see this stock doing well when you can get the magpul for the same price. If they were to knock the price down some it could possibly do very well.

ummm yeah, thats what its like

Yeah, but who pays MSRP?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#14]
True, it may be less than the $95. I don't know if the magpul is $95 MSRP or if that is what they will actually sell for....

I understand that this is meant as a cheaper sopmod, and for those that require a sopmod stock this may be a viable option. However dor those that do not require a sopmod, but just want a good stock, I don't see this as being a realistic choice for them...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Speaking of Magpul's new stocks, does anyone have a link to pictures of them?  I remember seeing them on here right after SHOT but haven't seen or heard of them since.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Speaking of Magpul's new stocks, does anyone have a link to pictures of them?  I remember seeing them on here right after SHOT but haven't seen or heard of them since.  

I think these were prototypes.

The Choate looks a lot better than this one but I havent seen either first hand. Either one my be a winner or a POS, I am not sure

Magpul SHOT Show pix

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats the UBR, the $95 one is the CTR, and I can't find a pic of it anywhere for some reason...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#18]
yeah i put one on for a guy last weekend. i liked it but to me it seems too much like a voltor knock off...i'll stick with voltor or magpul but i will say i did like the stock its nice
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Thats the UBR, the $95 one is the CTR, and I can't find a pic of it anywhere for some reason...

CTR
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#20]
When should we be looking for the CTR to be on sale? And where?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one of the new Choate stocks and I really like it. It is a tad heavier than a standard M4 stock but it is on my rifle with the POF upper so it helps offset the weight of the piston system nicely balance-wise. Good cheekweld too. Well worth the $135 IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Here is a pic of a CTR production prototype.

It still needs texturing and internals are missing on this one but you can get an idea of the shape.

www.magpul.com/pics/ctr1a.jpg

It is a very different stock than the LMT or Choate. It dosent have battery storage so is a lot thinner. It does have a shrouded release leaver and a forward lock to remove play between the stock body and tube. included high single point sling mount and optional slim rubber butt pad.

We are running through final testing here so expect prerelease test units to start shipping in about a month.

Hurry up and get those bad boys to market.  If they are available for sale before I receive my POF upper and stripped lower, I will buy one.  Then again, it has been so long since I have heard from POF, chances are you may have already replaced this product with a new and improved version before I receive my parts from POF

<Aside note to those at POF> I am just kidding.  I knew you were backordered when I placed my order, and told you I did not care how long it took because I wanted something different. <end Aside note>
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I may just have to drive over to choate on my days off and check that out and see what they will sell it for our the door.
I like the looks of it but I have bought somemuch stuff without touching it first and most of it is now gathering dust.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#25]
nice ...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Side by side comparison of the LMT SOPMOD and the new Choate 16-01-04
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=450372
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I remember the good old days when just HAVING an AR was good enough.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Choate looks functional and priced reasonably when compared to the SOPMOD.   I wouldn't hesitate to try one on a blaster gun.

I liken the CTR as a better alternative to the improved GEN 2 M4 stocks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top