Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2006 5:51:39 PM EDT
Hey guys,  I need some input on the purchase of a short barreled upper.  I want to purchase an upper that will run properly and I've heard some reports that the 10.25 inchers don't always run 100%.  I was leaning towards an 11.5 incher and then I noticed the new upper from CMMG.  It uses a 10.3 inch barrel and it has a unique gas system that places the gas port slightly rearward of the front sight/gas block. Here's a link to the upper: CMMG upper..  It's the second product from the top, costs $650.00.  I'm sure that this 10.3 inch upper is more reliable than the 10.25 barreled uppers with the "conventional" gas systems.  However, Eagle Firearms and Del-Ton sell the 11.5 inch uppers with the "conventional" gas system for about $450.00.  Here's a link to these uppers: Eagle Firearms uppers.  Which should I buy?  I'd like some feedback of folks with the "conventional" gas system on 11.5 inch barreled uppers, do you have any problems if the upper is properly maintained and lubed?  Should I spend the extra $200.00 for the CMMG M2SG upper?  Would the extra money spent be justified?  Please help!  Thanks in advance!

I have another question concerning the lower receiver.  I'm going to purchase a lower registered as a pistol to put the upper on.  I'll probably buy it from CMMG, but I was wondering-if I decide to register the lower on a form1 and add a stock, that'll be possible, correct?  Am I correct in thinking that this is a possible scenario?  I know it's ok to go from rifle to SBR on a form 1 and it's ok to go from pistol to SBR on a form1 also, right?  Seems like Jayson Cotter at I.G.F. had "indicated" that this was possible-I say "indicate" because that's the way I understood it, but that may not be the way he explained it to me.  I assumed it would be the same as buying a Vector V51 pistol and registering it as an SBR.  I'm pretty sure that I had this right, but I wanna be sure before I spend the money.  

Please give me some recommendations on the uppers, guys!  I want to buy the right one and not be sorry, but I don't want to spend any more money than I need to.  Thanks again!! ARKAR
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an 11.5" upper on my M16 and on my SBR... They function without any problems, and will digest whatever I put thru them either FA or semi.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged for further reading...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My theory is, if I want to get a short barreled rifle, I want to get a short barreled rifle. I'm going with a 10.5" whenever my Form 1 clears. I've heard good things about LMT.....
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard that the LMT uppers run well also but they are really expensive.  However, I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for" and if it is better to spend more, I'd rather do that than buy something that doesn't work.  I still need some more insight guys.  Much thanks to those who have responded!  ARKAR
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've heard that the LMT uppers run well also but they are really expensive.  However, I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for" and if it is better to spend more, I'd rather do that than buy something that doesn't work.  I still need some more insight guys.  Much thanks to those who have responded!  ARKAR

Those "really expensive" LMT SBR uppers are the MRP. Those are single piece forearm rail + upper receiver, quick change barrel system, etc. LMT also does regular flat-top-style 10.5" uppers. I had one built at Talon Arms. A complete LMT 10.5" upper as listed on their website is ~$630 (incl. BCG and CH).

Pick your upper. Anything less than 11.5" usually violates the suppressor warranty, but mine never came with one so....

But, here's the quick and dirty rule:
- You can go from a Pistol to a Rifle, but a Rifle is always a Rifle.

So, based on your post, yes, you can mount and use your SBR upper on a pistol configured lower until your SBR paperwork comes through.

I can't tell you yet about my 10.5" upper yet ( I'm trying to get FedEx to stop giving me the run around so I can actually get it delivered), but Michael at Talon Arms test fired it with no failures.  A very heavy buffer (around H2 to 9mm weight ) was used for reliability. A heavier buffer seems to cure most cycling problems in SBRs from what it looks like ont the board.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#6]
NoAim, thanks for the reply, I was aware of the Monolithic Rail Platform uppers.  I was talking about the conventional uppers offered by LMT, they are a couple of hundred more than the uppers offered by Eagle Firearms or Del-Ton.  I just wanted to know if they were really worth the extra dough.  I think I'm gonna go with one from Eagle Firearms, I've done business with them before.  I had forgotten about the suppressor warranty issue, thanks for reminding me about that also.  I had heard that mentioned on this site before, but I had forgotten.  Thanks again for the info!!!  ARKAR
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top