Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2006 1:28:32 PM EDT
I am new the AR-15 world and have been looking at the RRA Entry Tactical.  What do you guys think of this firearm - would it treat me right??

Thanks for your opinions.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#1]
+1 for RRA you would be very happy just get rid of that tactical carry handle and get yourself a good BUIS and you will be good to go. oh and Im sure you will want an optic, so you better start looking for one of those too. I recommend Eotech or Aimpoint
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What's a BUIS?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
+1 for RRA you would be very happy just get rid of that tactical carry handle and get yourself a good BUIS and you will be good to go. oh and Im sure you will want an optic, so you better start looking for one of those too. I recommend Eotech or Aimpoint

+2

My advice is............. get into something cheap first. Find out if the AR platform is something you like.
I have found AR's to be really good to me, but always looking for something different to replace it, I quess I'm spoiled.

Sorry guys.................I'm waiting for the SCAR-L & H to come out.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm fairly open to suggestions. . .
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What's a BUIS?

back up iron sight
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my RRA Entry Tactical.  I ordered it with the chrome lined barrel and the RRA EOtech Dominator Mount.  Once I added the EOtech, I was good to go.  This has been a good combination for me and it is a fun setup to work with.  It has functioned flawlessly.  I have also been happy overall with the customer service of RRA as well.  Very good purchase for a first AR-15 IMHO.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine, I got it from these Guys. Another option for you is to purchase a complete Stag lower $225 at Eagle and a Stag M4 upper $440 at Eagle. So $665 vs. $789 for the RRA entry tac. and you'll have a hundred bucks toward an EOTech.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy an RRA Entry Tactical today.  Buy it from Pete from Legal Transfers on the Equipment Exchange. Pete's selling them now for around $879 shipped, chrome barrel, and he'll swap out the tactical handle with an RRA Dominator sight no charge which works great (and specifically for) an EOTech, and gives you a great, free BUIS alternative until you decide on something else down the road.  I got one from Pete a few weeks back, bought an EOTech 512 from Mooney's for a great price, and took it shooting again today at the NRA range.  It's awesome, and you won't be disappointed.  I did a lot of research back in December and was set on a Colt 6920, but I became conviced that for my purposes, I was merely paying for the Colt name since that's what we use in the Marines.  The RRA is a great bargain, and you can use that extra money for the (many) accessories you're going to want soon, not to mention ammo.  Pete will treat you right.

JDC

ETA:  Spelling.  Long day.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got a RRA Entry last week.  Very nice.  I also own a Colt 6920, Colt 6520, and I just got a S&W M&P today.  The only other one I would like is the Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine.

I suggest the RRA entry or the Bushy Patrolman's Carbine.  Both are in the $800.00-$900.00 range.  Both have their advantages, but in my opinion you can't go wrong with either.  Here is my personal opinion because I own the RRA Entry and my shooting buddy owns the Bushy Patrolman's Carbine.  Again this is only my opinion.

RRA Entry vs. the Bushy Patrolman's Carbine:

Pro's for the RRA Entry:
Match Trigger
Heavy Profile M4 Barrel
Front side sling adapter
Awesome fit and finish
Bigger M4 syle handguards
Lifetime Warranty

Con's for the RRA Entry:
A Little heavier than the Bushy
Chrome Lined Barrel is an option ($30.00 or $35.00 I can't remember)

Pro's for the Bushmaster Patrol's Carbine
Chrome lined barrel is standard
Comes with hard case
Lighter than RRA

Con's for Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine
No Front side sling attachment
1 year warranty

All the pro's and cons of both are very trivial.  The only thing that should impact the purchase is the lifetime warranty with the RRA Entry and the match trigger that RRA Entry has.  As far as the front side sling attachment, you'll probably use a rear one point sling anyways.  The weight difference is noticable but nothing substantial.  I do like the larger hanguards of the RRA Entry.  With that said, either one you pick would be great, you cant go wrong.  As far as considering Colts or even the new S&W, youre going to spend a little more (Approx. $100.00-300.00 more.)  I just bought the RRA entry last week and got the S&W M&P today but that doesnt mean I'm not going to buy the Partolman's Carbine.......I'm just waiting for some more greenbacks.  

Hopefully this helped you rather than confuse you more.  All of the above statements are only my opinion.  I am writing this at work so I may have left out some important info.....hopefully the experts will chime in and add their thoughts to help you.  Whatever you get...post some pics!!

Here are the aforementioned AR's I have.

Colt 6920, Colt 6520, RRA Entry

Smith and Wesson M&P

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a RRA Elite CAR A4 about 6 months ago and there was a pit/chunk missing in the upper receiver under the Picatinny Rails.

I'm NOT Impressed by RRA and will never buy one again, yep just for this small reason.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I bought a RRA Elite CAR A4 about 6 months ago and there was a pit/chunk missing in the upper receiver under the Picatinny Rails.

I'm NOT Impressed by RRA and will never buy one again, yep just for this small reason.

Loadammo,

Are you looking to sell it?  IM me if you are.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

did you make any attempt with RRA to get it replaced they would take care of you if given the chance
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I built mine in almost the exact same specs with the exception of the match trigger. I used a single stage.
Here is my completed product

My completed product is a rifle that I cannot be more satisfied with. I went the chromoly way since I wanted to try it out and because RRA had a wait time on them..and I wasnt willing to wait.
The tactical carry handle isnt that bad of a sight so ill be keeping mine around for a little bit of time..besides it looks cool
Yes she is a little heavier than my friends Bushmaster but the "fit" is ALOT tighter than his Bushmaster as well. Seems RRA stay with a "tighter" spec or my parts were done very well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Buy an RRA Entry Tactical today.  Buy it from Pete from Legal Transfers on the Equipment Exchange. Pete's selling them now for around $879 shipped, chrome barrel, and he'll swap out the tactical handle with an RRA Dominator sight no charge which works great (and specifically for) an EOTech, and gives you a great, free BUIS alternative until you decide on something else down the road.  I got one from Pete a few weeks back, bought an EOTech 512 from Mooney's for a great price, and took it shooting again today at the NRA range.  It's awesome, and you won't be disappointed.  I did a lot of research back in December and was set on a Colt 6920, but I became conviced that for my purposes, I was merely paying for the Colt name since that's what we use in the Marines.  The RRA is a great bargain, and you can use that extra money for the (many) accessories you're going to want soon, not to mention ammo.  Pete will treat you right.

JDC

I've come to the same conclusion; after months of research I am buying an RRA soon....just not sure if it will be an M4gery or a midlength.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

did you make any attempt with RRA to get it replaced they would take care of you if given the chance

No I didn't, I sold it.

I didn't know RRA would do that though - that's good to know.  I do like their lowers however.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you people for the comments - so being a newb to the AR world, what's the difference between the RRA Entry Tac and a midlength AR, or are they the same?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#18]
My RRA midlength tactical.

As to the diffrence between a midlength and a short handguard I believe the diffrences are too small to even talk about. You would actually see more velocity from the midlength but like I said, too small to even consider. You also get the heavy barrlel w/ a midlength. Some complain it adds too much weight.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

As to the diffrence between a midlength and a short handguard I believe the diffrences are too small to even talk about. You would actually see more velocity from the midlength but like I said, too small to even consider. You also get the heavy barrlel w/ a midlength. Some complain it adds too much weight.

www.supermotors.org/getfile/297395/fullsize/DSCF0001.JPG
www.supermotors.org/getfile/297396/fullsize/DSCF0002.JPG
www.sup
ermotors.org/getfile/297400/fullsize/DSCF0006.JPG

As I understand it midlengths also have a different gas system, which allows for smoother function than M4s...so some say anyway. Others more knowledgeable than me could probably explain it better....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No I didn't, I sold it.

I didn't know RRA would do that though - that's good to know.  I do like their lowers however.

Well then perhaps youll be willing to give them a second chance to redeem themselves.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just got a RRA Entry last week.  Very nice.  I also own a Colt 6920, Colt 6520, and I just got a S&W M&P today.  The only other one I would like is the Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine.

Smith and Wesson M&P

Comparing an RRA Entry, Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine and an S&W M&P15-T is comparing two apples with an orange.  The S&W has a rail, flip up front & rear sights, etc.  The BUIS would make up the cost between the other two and the S&W, not to mention the rail.  Having said that, if the budget is a toss up between the Bushy and the RRA, either would be good as long as the RRA has a chrome-lined barrel.

TS
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

www.supermotors.org/getfile/297395/fullsize/DSCF0001.JPG</a>
www.supermotors.org/getfile/297396/fullsize/DSCF0002.JPG</a>
www.supermotors.org/getfile/297400/fullsize/DSCF0006.JPG</a>

So the midlength's have the longer handguards?  The RRA Entry Tac isn't a midlength rifle, correct?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

JDC

I just ordered an entry tactical form pete on the EE myself. He told me there would be a 3 or 4 week wait though. hoot
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Zero problems with mine.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.supermotors.org/getfile/297395/fullsize/DSCF0001.JPG</a>
www.supermotors.org/getfile/297396/fullsize/DSCF0002.JPG</a>
www.supermotors.org/getfile/297400/fullsize/DSCF0006.JPG</a>

So the midlength's have the longer handguards?  The RRA Entry Tac isn't a midlength rifle, correct?

correct the RRA Entry Tac is a carbine not a midlength

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smith and Wesson M&P

img84.imageshack.us/img84/5115/mp12tu.jpg

Comparing an RRA Entry, Bushmaster Patrolman's carbine and an S&W M&P15-T is comparing two apples with an orange.  The S&W has a rail, flip up front & rear sights, etc.  The BUIS would make up the cost between the other two and the S&W, not to mention the rail.  Having said that, if the budget is a toss up between the Bushy and the RRA, either would be good as long as the RRA has a chrome-lined barrel.

TS

I didnt think I compared the S&W M&P T to the bushy or the RRA, but if I did sorry about the confusion.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#27]
RRA is good! Heavy barrel and the RRA M4 are Fake? other than that good

I would go for the Colt  6920   1/7 twist (Really 6921) M4 14.5

Or a Bushmaster M4 14.5 with Phantom 1/7 twist can be order

Bushmaster L.W. 16incher very cool

I like my LMT 14.5 upper with Phantom 1/7 twist

BTW I have a A1 14.7 ish  1/9 twist Bushmaster Never a hic up in close to 2000rds fired BUT IS HEAVY compared to the 14.5M4 upper.

the heavy bullets are the rage these days 77gr/75 so a 1/7 has a better chance!

some 1/9 twist can shot 75/77gr Bullet

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top