Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/18/2006 8:53:21 AM EDT
I had a beat up preban DPMS years ago, and it seemed to be a pretty good rifle. Anyone know what the quality/reliability is like in a modern DPMS?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got one and haven't had any problems with it at all.  If there is a DPMS rifle you like, buy it.  I would check out Bravo Companyand CMMG at least and compare.  Just make sure to go chrome (lined).

TS  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Try the search function as this topic is covered about 2-3 times a week. But I will add my 2 cents worth in. I like DPMS and have never had any problems with their small parts to complete rifles.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I like their hammers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Their rifles have really improved in the past ten years.  They are just as good as a Bushmaster or Colt.

I own two DPMS rifles and not had a single problem, and I plan on buying another DPMS someday.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I have had Trouble Getting My Upper From DPMS.
But my gun looks pretty awesome, it just took 10 weeks.

Here is my post and complete story. Check it out, because im not alone in this situation.
Go here and read the replies
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=273472
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Some bad bolts in the recent past.  Other than that, I think they make very nice looking, functional AR parts.  Very affordable if you shop around a bit.  I have 1500 trouble free rounds through my all-DPMS build.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like DPMS and have never had any problems with their small parts to complete rifles.

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Outside of custom builders that I work with like JP Enterprises, DPMS is the only manufacturer (besides Cavalry Arms) that I'll buy from.  The reasons are quality of parts, level of customer service and support for 3-Gun and USPSA/IPSC shooting.

Great guns and great people.  Period.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
just got a DPMS lower
havent built the rifle yet but it looks like good quality

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/161823/lower.jpg
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]
You people astound me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, used to be that if you were not shooting a colt everything else was just second shelf.

I think I'll get another DPMS. Right now I have a custom build with all the accessories. Took me a couple years to complete, rails, flip up site, forward grip, you know what I mean... Now I just want a plain old m4 carbine with iron sites, no fancy shit. Old school style.[
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You people astound me.

Is that good or bad?
Oh, and could you pass the Koolaid?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
DPMS<Sharpened Stick
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#15]
They don't put grease on the barrel nut or castle nut.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Jack, I've got a pile of pre-ban sharp sticks that I'll trade for any DPMS ARs you might have lying around. Seriously ... sight unseen. I'll even pay shipping on everything.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I am so tired of people saying negative things about DPMS. Besides the "inferior receiver" myth and "improperly staked bolt carriers" I have yet to hear a new allegation. DPMS sells a vast majority of AR parts and many people choose to assemble those parts into weapons. If you are buying a used DPMS, better check and see if its a factory built gun or a "parts kit gun". Bushmaster does the exact same thing....I just dont see how a parts gun, improperly assembled is a reflection upon the manufacture. I bought an AP4 over a Bushmaster, RRA and Colt 6920/6721. I just didn't see the point in paying more for a rifle that offered less....IMO, all of the

top tier manufactures are equal, none being better than the others. Everyone makes mistakes...The worse AR I have ever owned was an Armalite, and alot of the snobs around here wouldn't think to compare Armalite to a sharpened stick. I wonder if the State/Federal LE agencies and foriegn militaries who use DPMS weapons know they are using sharpened sticks? The first DPMS I bought was an AP4, nearly a year ago. Its my "carbine class gun" and I kick the shit out of it on a daily basis....Once I damaged it, I decided to use it as it was intended to be used. I have had 4k plus through this rifle without so much as one failure.....lets see your sharpened stick do that. In several of the carbine classes I have attended, several AR's including

Colts/Bushmasters/LMT's all went down....so did a few DPMS, though not mine. What does that mean? Nothing. Eiether people can't clean thier weapons or operate them properly, or nobody makes a good commercial AR. These were LEO's who were trusting thier lives with thier weapons, and the brand of rifle they choose speaks volumes to me. I have seen countless officers using DPMS rifles....guess those sharpened sticks can hold a point very well. Unless you have actually owned a factory built DPMS rifle, STFU. Nobody wants to hear your elitist ramblings about a cast receiver cracking or supposidly mistaked bolt carriers*all of mine are peach, and I have never seen a factory DPMS carrier improperly staked*. Anyone who discounts DPMS's credibility obviously doesn't know the facts or is so drunk of kool aid they are blind to everything else.
Sorry, but the 40 something ARFCOM "elitists" who can't stand anything thats not a Colt, M14, .308 or 1911 in .45ACP really piss me off.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Ryno, I have a complete factory M4 upper. It worked pretty good, till the gas tube fused to the key. Had that happen on an MRP too though. Other issue: the rail is badly out of spec and neither a SIR nor an RAS (for some other reason) can be installed on the weapon. The gas rings wore out in 2k rounds. I will pass....

Armalite is better than a DPMS, but I am not really impressed with them either. Great fit and finish, but they use an AR carrier that doesnt have a shrouded firing pin and requires a special hammer. If I try to use the Armalite carrier on any other lower....lockup! Otherwise it runs pretty good.

I don't like Colt, LMT and CMT because they are "cool" and the "new thing" online. I like them because they have the best track record, and with them I can worry about my shooting, not my gear.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Armalite sucks. DPMS is better.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got back from shooting a DPMS .308 AP-4, wish it was mine!!!  Great shooter, very accurate, 100% reliable.    DPMS ++++111111
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Good stuff from them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a friend that loves his but I sold him a ARMS 40L and his rail was so oversized it would not go on.  I have a bunch of ARs and that sight went on ALL of them.  Some or most might be great but that one will keep me buying other brands.  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I have owned several and built several from parts....never a single problem, not once.  I have had problems with an rra lower and parts kit and a woa bolt carrier assembly.  I've got several thousand rounds throught them and I trust them totally.  They are a mn company who I can deal directly with at the gun shows and they are awsome to deal with....

they are a tier one producer in my book and just as likely (or unlikely) to produce a lemon as any of the other tier one ABC companies.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#24]
d   P.M.S.  kicked my dog !
Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
This topic does indeed come up on a fairly regular basis. Here is what I seem to notice. Guys who own a couple AR's or so will say how their DPMS is as good as their Bushmaster or Colt, or whatever. Or, how their friends DPMS is as good as everyone else's gun. How their gun has never had a malfunction or some similar story. One thread not too long ago had a gunsmith saying how many AR's he builds from DPMS kits and parts. As I recall, he never once mentioned having shot any of them extensively though.

Then theres the people who have used a wide selection of ARs over a long period of time. People who have put a lot of rounds through a wider variety of guns. These people tend to complain on DPMS quite a bit more. They have seen more problems over time and through a far more extensive test sample than the guys who have seen and really USED maybe a dozen (usually less) different ARs in their life.

Im sure both parties have valid points. The problem is the former group doesnt believe the latter group because their one or two guns run great. They cant seem to grasp that the maybe because their rifle runs great, another DPMS might not have met someone else's expectations.

When you see professionals, who give classes most every weekend of the year saying you might want to reconsider the purchase of a DPMS, consider that these folks see more rifles in a month than most of us will see in our lives. They keep logs of malfunctions and problem guns, and when a manufacturers name keeps popping up in the log, its enough to take notice.

I think the fact is, every manufacturer has their problems, some just have more than others. Some of these problems are more serious than others. When you take a look at two guns that are set up very nearly the same way, and one is several hundred dollars less than the other, do you really think that the one company can just afford to sell the same quality gun for that much less? The folks who think the less expensive DPMS is as good as the gun from that other manufacturer (insert brand name here), which costs much a few to several hundred dollars more are simply fooling themselves.

This doesnt necessarily mean the gun is a piece of crap. It may in fact meet your needs. In the end it probably depends as much on what your expectations of the gun is. If you are looking for something fun to hit the range with a several times a year, the less expensive gun will probably meet and possibly exceed your needs. And if so, good for you. However, if you are expecting to shoot many more rounds out of your gun in classes, or competition, or, in the world where people carry rifles to protect themselves and others, it might not be the time to be looking to find a "bargain".

+1
I think this is just about right.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Shot my friend's DMPS Panther carbine today.  Shot flawlessly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I have 2 DPMS carbines that I shoot............

1. my main shooter has 9200k rds on it so far........the only part I had to replace was the extractor spring and extractor buffer.....

2. my XM607 replica has 3200k rds on it and the only thing I need on it to run correctly was a d-ring on the extractor because of the short barrel.......

My new project right now consist of a RRA 9mm parts but thats because its a 9mm pistol........
If DPMS had 9mm parts I would use theirs instead.

I depend on DPMS completly, the only reason here why most people here dont use it is because some on here
had a problem with a small part. That starts a shit storm when people ask about the quality of DPMS.

Buy it, and dont regret it. I have fixed many other problems with many other peoples other brands only for me to trust DPMS only.

DPMS will replace any part that is broken or not in spec, like other companies. Other companies also
have many problems with parts, dont think one particular brand is better than another.

I have helped out people that could not get their DPMS, Bushies, RRA and Colts to work............ sometimes you get
AR's that work 100% out of the box, some you have to work with and some that dont work at all and need total replacement.

I hold DPMS highly in choices because they have taken their time with me and actually taken care of me.
Its loyalty mainly for most here that stick with their brands, I choose DPMS.................you should too.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Armalite sucks. DPMS is better.

................that is ridiculous.............
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a new DPMS 16" Stainless Fluted Heavy barrel 1:9" Upper & it is AWESOME!!

It out shoots my RRA 1:8"  20" Varmint & my Remington 700 LV SF 22" 1:12" Bolt gun with all loads!!

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:19:00 AM EDT
[#31]
And you do have pro's that will give DPMS the thumbs up. John Farnam, Sully before he came out with his own brand AR, and Chuck Taylor (I know say what you will). I think competition has greatly improved the AR market overall.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top