BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/18/2006 12:50:13 AM EDT
So simple.  Im getting kind of tired of the newer shit.  I really want an A2 now!!

www.fnmfg.com/products/m16fam/m16a2.jpg
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes sir, I have tricked out all my ARs. with the exception of the NM bushmaster. The other day at the range they had a 20" A2 for sale. I picked it up, and had forgotten just how good they feel in your hand. Luckily my GF, future wife, whats one built for her, and that is what she wants, and far be it from me, not to deliver. She wants a 20" flat top, or high rider, with an A2 stock, and railed hand gaurds. Hey what ever she wants, as long as it keeps her interested, and I can price myself a build or two in with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes sir, I have tricked out all my ARs. with the exception of the NM bushmaster. The other day at the range they had a 20" A2 for sale. I picked it up, and had forgotten just how good they feel in your hand. Luckily my GF, future wife, whats one built for her, and that is what she wants, and far be it from me, not to deliver. She wants a 20" flat top, or high rider, with an A2 stock, and railed hand gaurds. Hey what ever she wants, as long as it keeps her interested, and I can price myself a build or two in with it.

Good luck with that.

Pete
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya know, I just finished my second rifle/first build.  I debated for months on how to do it, and ended up with an A2.  Completely stock in every way.  I pimped out my first AR, and wanted this one to be simple and clean.  Bushy 20" government 1/7 barrel on cmt A2 upper with RRA bcg from PK firearms.
DPMS lower I built with parts from Del-ton.  Black furniture, real simple and sweet.  Today it gets fired for the first time!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ya know, I just finished my second rifle/first build.  I debated for months on how to do it, and ended up with an A2.  Completely stock in every way.  I pimped out my first AR, and wanted this one to be simple and clean.  Bushy 20" government 1/7 barrel on cmt A2 upper with RRA bcg from PK firearms.
DPMS lower I built with parts from Del-ton.  Black furniture, real simple and sweet.  Today it gets fired for the first time!

I was thinking of a similar build as well.  Have fun dude!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
This is my current "build"
Colt Lower, Bushy upper... Nothing fancy.

She'll get a new stock one day...... But for now I like it just fine!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
 Yea finally found some people here who like non-pimped ARs! Love those A2!    
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nice AR man JWC.  I have a slightly pimped M-4 and a A1 clone and now I want an A2.  Let's se some more A2's

Pete out
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice AR man JWC.  I have a slightly pimped M-4 and a A1 clone and now I want an A2.  Let's se some more A2's

Pete out

You want to turn this in to a A2 pic thread? I think that would be sweet! NO flat tops alowed!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pete out

You want to turn this in to a A2 pic thread? I think that would be sweet! NO flat tops alowed!

I concur
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So simple.  Im getting kind of tired of the newer shit.  I really want an A2 now!!

Brings a tear to my eye it's so beautiful! There is nothing so beautiful as a plain jane 20" A2!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#11]
i have an armalite m15a2

i tricked it out then took it all off

and left it stock it just seamed right
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you,
Mine is actually an 11.5 in H-Bar with the 5 in perm attached flash hider ..... SHIF & I'm taking a hacksaw to it!!!

Let's see more A2 pics!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well, its been a long and tough decision process.  I started with my first AR, a bushy patrolman's carbine.  I shot it maybe twice before going mod crazy.  First the grip, and buttstock pad.  Then railed handguards and VFG.  Then freefloat, then side sling.  Later I read a thread about N.O. SHTF and decided I *needed* a surefire.  It just kept evolving in to a full blown popo rifle.  Finally gave in to temptation and threw on an eotech and buis.  Its been untouched for about a month.....
I bought the lower for the A2 while I was still working on my M4....  I intended to build another M4.  Start stock and mod up from there, using takeoffs from the bushmaster.  I bought a LPK, and ergo grip.  Later it got a DPMS collapsible stock, and buttpad.  It went from M4, to pencil barrel, to heavy barrel, back to M4, then I officially decided on a midlength.  I don't know what happened.... watching too many war movies or something  I just woke up one day, and HAD to have an A2.  It became an obsession, the image that I conjured every time I heard "AR-15" was an A2, so it made sense.  
I took the stock and grip off, ordered some parts, and it became an A2 wednesday.  
The range trip today was fun.  I showed off my new creation, and people really liked it.  They said it was beautiful.  It has far less recoil than my carbine, groups really well and zeroed nicely at 25 meters.  Its going to be fun, and since I have it like I want it, I can just build another instead of figuring out how to pimp it out.  Its already set up like I want it.  Plain.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I will never understand the need for target sights on a military weapon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brings a tear to my eye it's so beautiful! There is nothing so beautiful as a plain jane 20" A2!!!

Yes....Yes it is  Thanks for the pic!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]
The build I am currently working on is a 20" A2 as well. I am going to keep it as simple as possible.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, its been a long and tough decision process.  I started with my first AR, a bushy patrolman's carbine.  I shot it maybe twice before going mod crazy.  First the grip, and buttstock pad.  Then railed handguards and VFG.  Then freefloat, then side sling.  Later I read a thread about N.O. SHTF and decided I *needed* a surefire.  It just kept evolving in to a full blown popo rifle.  Finally gave in to temptation and threw on an eotech and buis.  Its been untouched for about a month.....
I bought the lower for the A2 while I was still working on my M4....  I intended to build another M4.  Start stock and mod up from there, using takeoffs from the bushmaster.  I bought a LPK, and ergo grip.  Later it got a DPMS collapsible stock, and buttpad.  It went from M4, to pencil barrel, to heavy barrel, back to M4, then I officially decided on a midlength.  I don't know what happened.... watching too many war movies or something  I just woke up one day, and HAD to have an A2.  It became an obsession, the image that I conjured every time I heard "AR-15" was an A2, so it made sense.  
I took the stock and grip off, ordered some parts, and it became an A2 wednesday.  
The range trip today was fun.  I showed off my new creation, and people really liked it.  They said it was beautiful.  It has far less recoil than my carbine, groups really well and zeroed nicely at 25 meters.  Its going to be fun, and since I have it like I want it, I can just build another instead of figuring out how to pimp it out.  Its already set up like I want it.  Plain.

Dude...You and I must me long lost brothers!!!  I did the same stuff.  Im almost broke.  My next build will be a Rock River A2 upper and lower with a 20 inch bushy Govt. profile barrel.  I can't wait!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I am assembling two builds at the same time. I have never done this before and just bougt  my first AR this February. The A2 will be completed first. I love it's simplicity too. All I need is the lower and its guts.

So far I have the following...

A2 Bushmaster upper like new, with sight assembly: $50
New complete DPMS bolt/ carrier assembly and CH: $110
Forward assist and dust cover assembly: $18
Complete RRA 20" barrel assembly (< 60 rounds through it): < $160
New, complete A2 stock < $40
I am guessing I have another ~$200 or less, and it will be complete.

Total cost: $578. Not too bad if you ask me. EE is a great place to lurk and DPMS has very fair prices on common parts.

ETA for build to be complete: 4/15. Pics will be posted.

I did not include the shipping but it comes in at around ~ $30
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I hate that pimped out railed everything look.

I truly like a stock A1 or A2. Clean and KISS for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Interesting.  I have a Bushy A3 - I've never taken off the handle but once.  I bought some Warne rings and mounted a scope.

Took it off and put the handle back on.  I've seriously considered trading it on a superlite or just having the barrel truned ot gov't profile and keeping the handle on.

I like the simplicity.  Straight forward, no-nonsense working rifles.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
I hate that pimped out railed everything look.

I truly like a stock A1 or A2. Clean and KISS for me.

Definitely agree

On a Carbine I prefer A1 sight  just seems like there's too much adjustment for the short sight radius  
On a 20incher either the A1 or A2 wil do
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my A2.  I am looking to get an A1 soon.

Max
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except an A1 (well kinda) Commando length.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

May I remind you according to 'Marine Sniper', Hathcocks first kill in a sniper type role was with a stock M14 at 600 yards.  His spotter also put a few down with this set up at distance longer than 300 yards. Could they have done this without sights that elevated? I've read enough battle accounts that shooting at longer distances does happen.  I'm sure it's not the norm and you can say that's what a sniper is for but I'm wondering what you would do if there wasn't one around.  Would there never be a time in the "sand box" that you may be taking fire from a mortor or something like that, that you could possibly engage to neutralize it with a rifle, and that it might be at like 500 meters or something like that?  You're saying this is never heard of?  This is not possible?  I simpy don't get your thinking.  Aren't you in the military?  Now this might not mean much but I've carried my A2 around hunting before (and I mean crawling through swamps and bushes, etc, doing drives,) and found that it didn't move on me.  I understand that an A1 sight would be better in the respect that it'd be harder to move, but I personally would like the ability to hit at further distances, given the fact that you understand how to use it.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the A1's are the only service rifle I can think of that didn't have an ability to elevate.  So all of those stinking years it was never used by a soldier?  They just sat there idle.   In fact they were so little used that they are basically rusted in the lowest position because they just aren't necessary.  OK.  I get your point.  You're probably right.  I need a beer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except an A1 (well kinda) Commando length.

www.goobage.com/pics/arms/commando1.jpg

Nice commando!!  Keep them coming guys.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I grew-up shooting a .22 with fixed iron sights..... I could drop a crow 300 yards away off the top of the barn!!!   You just have to know where to aim!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I grew-up shooting a .22 with fixed iron sights..... I could drop a crow 300 yards away off the top of the barn!!!   You just have to know where to aim!!

So when hathcock and burke were dropping VC and whoever else at a distance, they were probably just using a holdover method?  Or any other soldiers that shot longer than 300 yards?

All I got to say is GET SUM
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So when hathcock and burke were dropping VC and whoever else at a distance, they were probably just using a holdover method?  Or any other soldiers that shot longer than 300 yards?

images.snapfish.com/346597574%7Ffp345%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D323356%3B55%3A%3B%3B6nu0mrj

That is an exact copy of my rifle.
I love the cleanliness of the A1/A2 series.
KISS rules.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread stinks of bullshit.  You can barely see a crow at 300yds, let alone determine holdover for an iron sight 22lr.  If it did happen, it was pure dumb luck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Another A2 coming at you

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Pimped out my first 2 and went 16" mid A2 for my latest.  Love the classic look, but gotta have a 16" mid gas system.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Shitty picture, but she's my pride and joy!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Two of My Favorite Colts
First one is a Blue Label 6601

Second one is a Green Label 6600

And my Home Built 20" A2 with OD Furniture

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Very plain, but it shoots damn good.   So good, that I am afraid to *F* with the muzzle and put a flash hider on it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Are most of you guys using chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Are most of you guys using chrome lined barrels?

I believe so.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

May I remind you according to 'Marine Sniper', Hathcocks first kill in a sniper type role was with a stock M14 at 600 yards.  His spotter also put a few down with this set up at distance longer than 300 yards. Could they have done this without sights that elevated? I've read enough battle accounts that shooting at longer distances does happen.  I'm sure it's not the norm and you can say that's what a sniper is for but I'm wondering what you would do if there wasn't one around.  Would there never be a time in the "sand box" that you may be taking fire from a mortor or something like that, that you could possibly engage to neutralize it with a rifle, and that it might be at like 500 meters or something like that?  You're saying this is never heard of?  This is not possible?  I simpy don't get your thinking.  Aren't you in the military?  Now this might not mean much but I've carried my A2 around hunting before (and I mean crawling through swamps and bushes, etc, doing drives,) and found that it didn't move on me.  I understand that an A1 sight would be better in the respect that it'd be harder to move, but I personally would like the ability to hit at further distances, given the fact that you understand how to use it.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the A1's are the only service rifle I can think of that didn't have an ability to elevate.  So all of those stinking years it was never used by a soldier?  They just sat there idle.   In fact they were so little used that they are basically rusted in the lowest position because they just aren't necessary.  OK.  I get your point.  You're probably right.  I need a beer.

Iron sights are sub optimal.  P. Rofers has collected exaclty one story of a Marine adjusting his sights- a school trained sniper.

No, not in the .mil.

Yes, A1 sights lacked the ability to elevate.  They also hold zero better.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.snapfish.com/346597574%7Ffp345%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D323356%3B55%3A%3B%3B6nu0mrj

I don't know... I was only 12-13 years old at the time but I do know I shot Crows off the barn roof with...

Without the fancy rear sight

Let's not Hi-Jack this thread.... I wanna see more A2 pics!!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Naw, the full size A2 is a marksman rifle and really lost its way. I loved it when I was a kid but the A1 is better. On the A1 you cannot have someone come and screw up your sights. It is lighter, and does not have an overly-long stock. My first AR was a standard Colt A2 though, so if anything I was most attracted to that for much of my early impressionable gun experience. It took me a long time to learn that it was better in the 1960s.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
And my Home Built 20" A2 with OD Furniture

I like the green!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iron sights are sub optimal.  P. Rofers has collected exaclty one story of a Marine adjusting his sights- a school trained sniper.

No, not in the .mil.

I agreed that they hold zero better.  But I do not agree that elevation was only necessary once out of 200 years of figting, and that's only us.  I'm not sure who P. Rofers is or why you're referencing him.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Naw, the full size A2 is a marksman rifle and really lost its way. I loved it when I was a kid but the A1 is better. On the A1 you cannot have someone come and screw up your sights. It is lighter, and does not have an overly-long stock. My first AR was a standard Colt A2 though, so if anything I was most attracted to that for much of my early impressionable gun experience. It took me a long time to learn that it was better in the 1960s.

That 7/8" and 3/4 of a pound really screws it up that bad for you?  I like the A1's too.  No argument.  But I like the A2's.  I like to hold onto the round handgaurds a little better.  And sometimes a little weight is good for off hand shooting.  I agree that the A1 stock is just about perfect though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Just a step backwards as an assault rifle (except for marksman use or competition use).
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#44]
How heavy is the ubiquitous AK?  Isn't that the epitomy of Assualt Rifle?  Yet it's heavier? Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
How heavy is the ubiquitous AK?  Isn't that the epitomy of Assualt Rifle?  Yet it's heavier? Hmmmmm.

Basically the Marines got involved and took the awesome A1 assault rifle and tried to turn it into a battle rifle. It became better for long range shooting but worse as an assault rifle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Basically the Marines got involved and took the awesome A1 assault rifle and tried to turn it into a battle rifle. It became better for long range shooting but worse as an assault rifle.

Like I said, that little bit of weight and length makes it that much worse?   I understand your point.  And you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  My brother has an A1 and I marvel at how light it is.  But when I pick up my A2 I don't think to myself, "dang, this thing is heavy".  I'm just saying obviously that I like the adjustable sights, and I don't think the weight and length issue is that big of a detractor.  But if you do, that's fine.  It's all a preference thing.  However, this thread is about A2's and how it is a thing of beauty and people just have to put there 2 cents in about how that must not be true, they just can't let us have our fun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, not in the .mil.

I agreed that they hold zero better.  But I do not agree that elevation was only necessary once out of 200 years of figting, and that's only us.  I'm not sure who P. Rofers is or why you're referencing him.  

It shall be noted that the f is rather close to the g on my keyboard...

If you want to spend 10 hours a day training with a rifle that weighs 8 pounds and has no optic, light etc, go right ahead, but the need for adjusting windage remains at... zero.

I repeat- sight the gun in, and shoot it a whole bunch.  They aren't all that accurate anyway, particularly with iron sights.  Shoot till the target falls down, or you hear a hit on steel.  Then asses and engage other targets.

If you know where windage is necessary out to 300M, please tell me.  If you know someone who can sit down and make 500M hits with irons on a target that is not bothering to stand still, all while dealing with time pressure and a massive adrenaline dump from the bullets cracking overhead... tell me.  He is my new hero.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Someone used to have this as their sig line.....

"I started with a 20" A2.   $4,000 dollars later, I have a 20" A2"
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice, yes, but not that great. Stock is too long, grip sucks, and the sights are too complicated and delicate. Change is good. I much prefer an SP1 style 20" M16 look-alike.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Like I said, that little bit of weight and length makes it that much worse?   I understand your point.  And you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  My brother has an A1 and I marvel at how light it is.  But when I pick up my A2 I don't think to myself, "dang, this thing is heavy".  I'm just saying obviously that I like the adjustable sights, and I don't think the weight and length issue is that big of a detractor.  But if you do, that's fine.  It's all a preference thing.  However, this thread is about A2's and how it is a thing of beauty and people just have to put there 2 cents in about how that must not be true, they just can't let us have our fun.

Yours is nice -- that Colt greay color is my favorite -- better than black.

No, the weight and length don't make it much worse.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top